1999 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
The best car I have ever owned
By AmynRyan on 07/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

We just recently bought a 1999 Grand Am SE. The performance of the 3.4 liter V- 6 engine is phenomenal! The sporty look, and feel of the Grand Am is perfect as well. It handles exceptionally well, and taking corners at higher rates of speed is as easy as blinking your eyes. But the Grand Am doesn't stop there. The ETS system makes the Grand Am an even better car to drive. For those tough steep grades, or snow and ice covered roads, you'll be thankful that the Grand Am has incorporated such a valuable asset! I have never been happier with this car, and I am a proud owner of a Pontiac!

A Far Cry from Driving Excitement
By LCS on 07/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

This was my first new car and I was very excited, but in the past 3 years, I've had too many problems to list. I held onto the car since I had an extended warranty, but when they refuse to honor this telling me that a water leak isn't a manufacturer's defect, that is where I draw the line. Too many problems and poor customer service! Driving excitement? I think not!

99 Pontiac Grand Am GT (4-Door)
By TBC on 07/16/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Overall a good vehicle. I had a little problem with the rotars having to be turned once a year (the severe vibration during braking let you know it was time)but, hopefully that is fixed now. Other than that I have had no problems with the car. Smooth ride and great handling.

I love this car!!!
By Jason Bledsoe on 06/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 2dr Coupe

After losing my first 1999 Grand Am SE in an auto accident I decided to try somthing new and bought a 2000 Mercury Cougar. After only 2 1/2 weeks of owning the Cougar it was in the shop getting a massive repair. I thought to myself "I never had to do this with the Grand Am". So after I got it out of the shop I went and traded the Cougar in for a 1999 Grand Am GT. And I love it. It is the best move I have made. I understand that sometimes some people will get a bad car of any make and model, but it is the Pontiac Grand Am that has made me a Pontiac man for life. I always say to anybody I see "Buy a Pontiac"

Not what I expected from GM
By RSturkie on 06/10/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I am dissappointed in this car. I have had 3 sets of front brake pads and 2 sets of front rotors on this car and still the brakes make a noise. I just put a new altenator on it a month ago. I found a leak in the intake manifold and took it to a different dealer than I purchased the vehicle from to get better service. The bolts in the intake were not tightened to specs and backed out causing a leak. Also had to send the radio off twice to be repaired because of parts in the radio overheating and failing. I will not buy another vehicle from Ponitac as long as I have the memory of this car in my head.

Highly Under-rated vehicle
By wayseeker on 05/30/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT1 4dr Sedan

I have owned my car for almost 3 years now. I have only had three things in need of repair at the shop - the driver's side window, a gasket leak (caused by me), and new brake rotors. Otherwise, with regular maintenance, this car has been a reliable and consistent performer. Excellent pick- up, great handling, decent fuel- economy from a domestic V6, and styling that still turns heads. They didn't skimp on interior features either - the seats are comfortable, even on lengthy trips, and passengers aren't crammed in as an afterthought. The sound system is solid, and the A/C is still icey-cool.

Take heed!
By ravon on 05/28/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I am very torn with this car. Replaced rotors at 27K miles that were overtorqued at manufacture. Had to pay for a complete brake job even though the rotors caused premature wear on the pads. Same dealership would not replace my bad radio. Glad that I purchased the extended warranty. Had to use it twice in the last month at 55K miles for almost $3000 in repairs. Both front bearings have been replaced as has strut mount and rack and pinion and a rear control arm. Complained to Pontiac Corp and have basically been told, sorry, at 60,001 miles when my warranty runs out, I'm screwed. HOWEVER, when my car is not in the shop or on it's way to the shop, I love it.

Something to Think About
By Kasi on 05/19/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I thought of 3 good things to say about the '99 that I own. It is a reliable car. It starts right up in the winter. It still turns heads (even for all the wrong reasons!). It has some good speed. However, I have had to bring it into the dealer 3 times for the same problem. The windows keep falling off track. Working windows are important. I have found that the apoxied plastic clips on the windows seem to come "unglued" or brittle in extreme temps. I have also had to change the brakes, rotors, and belts that should last. I am not completely dissatisfied, but I will think twice before I purchase another one. My only advise with this car is if you use your windows a lot, pass on this car.

I LOVE THIS CAR!!!!
By ABayzik on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

Great car! I wish it had more aftermarket support and some extra hp from the factory though. Turns heads constantly. At 45,000+ miles, it's only had basic maintenance and the rotors replaced once. Fuel economy could be better but you can't help but speed in this car, so it will suffer. I average anywhere from 20-25mpg. I was leery to buy this car in 99 because it was the first year for the redesign, but it has never disappointed me! Kudos to GM for this one.

Sporty Looking!
By CLEOPATRA on 05/03/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

My 1999 Grand AM GT 4-Door, Black, Leather Interior Fully Loaded, was purchased ...after looking at various GM vehicles I found this one very much applealing to the eye, as well to performance. This is the best vehicle I have owned..roomy, sporty looking, great handling features. Good performance vehicle, has guts..when needed....Excellent Purchase