1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
The POS that refuses to die
By matthew32 on 02/23/13 02:31 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Have has my Grand AM since 2007. Was given to me by my parents who bought the car in 1999 with 12,000 mi. The car has always had regularly scheduled maintenance and now has almost 130k mi. I overhauled the engine at around 120k due to a spun #2 rod bearing. The 2.4l has marginal oil supply and this is fairly common. As far as doing major repairs, the car is relatively easy to work on. The interior in this car was the absolute worst of any I have ever owned - it started to fall apart when the car was only a few years old. Power windows all broke. Central locking and climate control switches broke. Vinyl peeling off the door panels. Dash warped. Seat padding breaking down.

My 8-Month Nightmare
By sinaskafitch on 11/16/12 07:12 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

8 months ago, I bought a Grand Am off my friend at 140,000 miles. Turned out to be the worst decision I've made since. If I wasn't friends with a mechanic, this car would already be in the scrap pile. I've had to give it new wiring, a new starter, 2 new engine belts, a new mechanism that turns the engine belt, a new rear arm bar, and I had to remove the horn because it was faulty. The car also has a fuel pressure problem so now I pay out the nose for gas. I hate everything in this car down to the cup holders! It's cars like these that ruined Pontiac. This car is breaking my bank and my patience level. Hopefully getting a new car this week to get rid of this nightmare

Owned long time
By TB on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have owed this vehicle for a long time. It look goods nice interior design except for cup holder placement. The vehicle is reliable overall but requires intake manifold gasket replacement every 2-3 year. Back window motors stop working at 100k miles. Front brakes do all the work. Car has good ride a control on road. Major engine issue at 165K if you don't count gasket replacement mention above every 2-3 years.

Old, Mostly Reliable.
By GrandAmCaravan on 08/24/10 01:32 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had this car since it was nearly brand new and I have never had anything major go wrong with the engine. However, various stupid things go wrong with it, instead. Design flaws include: The back wheel wells were designed so rocks chip the corners of the back doors and it rusts like crazy, the security system will randomly cut off the fuel so it won't start, the exterior mirrors will break off if a light breeze blows past, there is something in the front doors that scratches the windows, and the brackets that hold up the power windows are flawed and break easily. Also, many parts are flimsy plastic that break. Other than that it's a solid vehicle that's a good size and drives well.

GrandAm, my best car ever
By cc on 07/15/09 16:57 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

O.K., so we all know about the window motors, weak right side mirror, flimsy bumper covers, brake problems, faulty security lights, and the costly intake gasket job requirement at about 60,000 miles. Still and all, this car has been wonderful to drive. I wouldn't expect to operate any car without having to fix kinks, and when I add it all together, this car has not been very expensive to own. As for the security light not allowing you to start the car, try a new key, also, letting the car just sit for 20 minutes before you try to restart it works everytime. One honest mechanic just replaced a wire and it did not happen again for over a year. Beware expensive repairs for this.

Braking down slowly
By Kaitlin on 07/09/09 17:26 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have a 1999 Pontaic Grand am se. I got the car with 50,000miles on it. It now has 117,000 Still run Like the day I got it. But it 11 yrs old And it satring to show it age. Bothe head gasket were replace, Wheelbearing, And now its been stalling out and having problem with the fuel lines. Over all I think GM made a mistake in stopping the make of this car and Pontaic...

frustratingly great and horrible!
By Stacy on 03/19/09 19:13 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

have had this car since 2000. replaced the alternator, battery, rebuilt the front end (brakes, rotors, pads, calipers, brake lines, 2 wheel bearings), paid $500 to have a dealer replace 2 sensors to keep the security system from kicking in and shutting the car off, the volume knob is broken (vol goes up when turning it down), front window motors need replaced (works 95% time)plastic dash is cracked, radio LCD light dead. spark plugs, coil packs, coil housing, replaced and still is mis-firing. During the warm months its a bear to drive with the tranny slipping badly.

i love my car
By bethne on 06/19/08 22:45 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Had this car since 1999. Original owner. Replaced alternator once, brakes twice and had some work done on catalytic converter. Also passenger side mirror fell off pretty easily. Enough bad though. I love this car. I'm very hard on vehicles and this one has held up really well. 120,000 miles, most are in town. Pretty good gas mileage, about 33 mpg. Handles great in snow and ice. Very comfortable on long trips. Heating and cooling system is wonderful. Lots of storage. Drives really well on back/country/mountainous roads, including dirt, gravel, and mud.

this is a good 2.4 car
By jonathan on 06/11/08 21:58 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is actually a good car. Yes I've had my problems with it but what used cars don't you. When I bought it it had a major problem that the company fixed. But after that minor problems. It is by far the most powerful 4cycl engine I've driven.

My first Car
By Melissa on 04/30/08 11:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My parents bought this car for themselves in 2003. I started driving a yr later. They let me drive it. At first no problems. But then The battery kept dying. The motorized lift in the seat stopped working and the passenger seat no longer tilted forward or backwards. The display died the stereo and the coolant tank had a slow leak. When involved in a low impact crash in a parking lot where both cars were barely moving (not my fault) the driver side rear panel crumbled and the light shattered. No very strong.