1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
The Grand Am
By camaroj on 06/14/13 20:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE1 4dr Sedan

Ive owned this car for a Year and a half it was pretty much immaculate When I bought it I happened to be the second owner in Its life time the pros: Its fun to Drive ,amazing on gas, reliable if well taken Care of , very stylish mines in white , interior is stylish ,has curb appeal , excellent sound system didnt exspect it to be that good, my complaints about this car is the front bumper is way too low to the ground and allways scrapes Its rusting Like crazy around Wheel Wells and on the rockers of the doors clear coat is chipping on spoiler and the most important thing remember to keep your oil topped off to the top twin CAM engines are notorios for that they burn oil Like crazy

Loved it but ready for something new
By airiel13 on 03/26/13 20:59 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for nearly 4 years! And I've replaced just about every important part needed for the car to run!! I've spent over $1000 on my car, not the best but if your willing to have to fixer upper buy this car!! Plus the interior is poor quality, and why brown???

The POS that refuses to die
By matthew32 on 02/23/13 02:31 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Have has my Grand AM since 2007. Was given to me by my parents who bought the car in 1999 with 12,000 mi. The car has always had regularly scheduled maintenance and now has almost 130k mi. I overhauled the engine at around 120k due to a spun #2 rod bearing. The 2.4l has marginal oil supply and this is fairly common. As far as doing major repairs, the car is relatively easy to work on. The interior in this car was the absolute worst of any I have ever owned - it started to fall apart when the car was only a few years old. Power windows all broke. Central locking and climate control switches broke. Vinyl peeling off the door panels. Dash warped. Seat padding breaking down.

55 mph Headache!
By pugmamma on 12/18/12 19:35 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE2 4dr Sedan

I traded my amazing volkswagen that ended up needing a radiator for this pontiac or pile of junk. I have had so many problems with it sparkplugs, headlights, trunk latch, windows, and now I need a flex pipe and I cannot figure out which one it needs the car is so loud because the flex pipe fell off somehow!!!

My 8-Month Nightmare
By sinaskafitch on 11/16/12 07:12 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

8 months ago, I bought a Grand Am off my friend at 140,000 miles. Turned out to be the worst decision I've made since. If I wasn't friends with a mechanic, this car would already be in the scrap pile. I've had to give it new wiring, a new starter, 2 new engine belts, a new mechanism that turns the engine belt, a new rear arm bar, and I had to remove the horn because it was faulty. The car also has a fuel pressure problem so now I pay out the nose for gas. I hate everything in this car down to the cup holders! It's cars like these that ruined Pontiac. This car is breaking my bank and my patience level. Hopefully getting a new car this week to get rid of this nightmare

Wow!
By camaroj on 09/25/12 12:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE1 4dr Sedan

Amaing car i am the second owner and this is the best car i have ever owned very reliable and great on gas i do keep up on the oil changed ext the first owner owned this car from 1999 to 2011 this is my second year owning this car and i will say my only complaints are the front of the car is to low to the ground and allways scrapes and the paint near the wheel wells is rusting my car now has 380000 miles and still runs great. if they were still making this car i would recomend to use less plastic and parts chip and break easy but the car it self is very relaible!

Satisfied Buyer
By grandamboi on 04/10/12 09:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE2 4dr Sedan

I got my car in 2011 knowing it had a blown head with coolant leaking and rust in the water res. I got the car for $400 after talking the seller down 200. With income tax and a friend and myself doing the repairs to the car, we replaced intake manifold, shaved the heads, egr value, brake pads, water res, some tubes, and a few other things for well under 1k and now the car runs like new. I consider it a steal. Later the security bypass went haywire but the car is over 10 years old so I googled it. Was as simple as taking the radio out, cutting the car on, and cutting a wire...problem fixed. My next project is window regs and a/c compressor and mirror then the car will be fully restored.

Love my Grand Am
By alie0313 on 09/13/11 20:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE2 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 years now, bought off my aunt. It has 150,000 miles on her and she still runs like new! Ive had to replave the power steering pump and chip that controls electricals on the dash at about 140,000 miles. Other than that, she runs great, mpg is good and plenty of room for a family!!

Great car!
By stefanie42 on 01/12/11 23:22 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE2 4dr Sedan

I inherited my '99 Grand Am from my grandmother when I was 16 (in 2005). It had 117,000 miles on it and had no problems at all. Shortly after getting it, the window on the driver side refused to roll up. The volume control for the radio was faulty. Those were the only things that ever happened to it. I never got them fixed, and was fine. Went to college for a year without it. Sat for 2 years w/o driving. Replaced coolant system, fuel pump, and battery and it was back to running great! The side mirrors fell off (easy fix-it-yourself). Have to junk yard it because I got rear-ended. I'm sad to see it go. Considering getting another. Excellent car. I definitely recommend it!

Owned long time
By TB on 09/27/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have owed this vehicle for a long time. It look goods nice interior design except for cup holder placement. The vehicle is reliable overall but requires intake manifold gasket replacement every 2-3 year. Back window motors stop working at 100k miles. Front brakes do all the work. Car has good ride a control on road. Major engine issue at 165K if you don't count gasket replacement mention above every 2-3 years.