1999 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
WORST CAR EVER
By jpontiac on 06/25/13 20:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned, It sits so low to the ground, in the front it has rusted out all over the wheel wells, and the underneathe, even after washing it once a week in the winter. I have had to replace, exhaust, cat, brakes, rotors, plugs, tires. Its not secure when I drive on dirt roads the dust and dirt comes right into the trunk. Very poor quality and the speakers sound awful

A FUN DRIVER
By Mike on 07/22/09 22:49 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I was amazed at the power of the 3.4 V- 6 and yet it gets me a constant 29 miles per gallon on regular fuel. It is comfortable to drive and handles great. The 4 spd auto trans. is great for the miliage, but you need to use the 3rd gear to get the car to hold back on steep down hills or you will use up your brakes. In the 105,000 miles we have driven it I have replaced the front brakes once and checked two weeks ago still have 90% and the rear is still at about 40%. The car just turned 250,000 and the engine & trans. work great. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and I still have no need to add oil in between oil changes. For trips it is great with all of the room in the back.

99 3.4L v6 2 door GT
By Jay on 03/13/08 01:42 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

My wife bought the car before we met. In the last 3 years the car needed new brakes and rotors, intake gasket(which cost $863), and it had an ignition/ electrical problem. The security light would come on and the car would not start. We would have to leave the key in the on position for 10 minutes before the computer would allow the car to be started. It cost just over $200 to fix with no guarantee. Brakes are starting to go out again. Overall its an ok car.

Lemon, stay away, far, far away!
By Languish on 03/27/07 04:30 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

7 years I have owned this car I have had to replace the following: 2 alternators 2 batteries 3 driver side power window motors 2 abs sensors 1 heating & a/c fan 1 head gasket and 1 intake manifold gasket 2 times rotor's replaced 2 times rotor's reground STAY AWAY FROM PONTIAC!

Its Still Fun
By Randy King on 08/09/06 13:12 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

Right from the start I loved the pickup this 6 cylinder car gave me. I've driven it for seven years and it still has that same pep. Ramping onto highways and accelerating down the road are done with confidence.

Trouble with this car
By Hutch2 on 04/01/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

We have had nothing but problems with this car. 1 month out of warranty, it required a new alternator. We have had to replace a gasket for the transmission fluid. Power steering is going. The fan for heat/AC has been replaced - and currently doesn't work on the lowest two speeds. We will not be purchasing a Pontiac for a long time, if ever.

Nothing but problems
By Dam Grand on 02/04/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

Fun to drive but the car had problems from the beginning. The tires went flat. Radio stopped working. Cooling system had several issues, the last being a leaking intake manifold. Drivers side power window need replaced. And several other little things.

Silver Bullet
By Dredee on 12/17/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

Hey. This car is great. Bought used and wondering how they messed up the cruise, but it gets great gas mileage for a six, like 345 miles to a 12 gallon tank, plus is just all out comfortable. I will get an 04 next year before they change it to the G6.

nice car
By pettkej on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

My car has ran like a champ. I haven't had any problems and looks sporty and decked out for shows... great car

Piece of junk
By Crapcar on 09/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I have had to have it towed to the dealership 5 times for various things breaking down(alternator, the oxygen sensor, computer, among other things). The starter went 2 times, the water pump failed, and the radiator had a leak. The paint started pealing off the car. The fog light have been replace 2 times because they keep collecting water. The interior is falling apart. The seams on the driver’s seat let go and all the padding fell out. The door panels are starting to fall apart. The CD player died. The tilt steering wheel lever broke off leaving the steering wheel to move up and down freely. Overall this is the worse car I have ever owned.