Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

WORST CAR EVER
By jpontiac

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned, It sits so low to the ground, in the front it has rusted out all over the wheel wells, and the underneathe, even after washing it once a week in the winter. I have had to replace, exhaust, cat, brakes, rotors, plugs, tires. Its not secure when I drive on dirt roads the dust and dirt comes right into the trunk. Very poor quality and the speakers sound awful

Favorite Features

The rear spoiler

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING

A FUN DRIVER
By Mike

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I was amazed at the power of the 3.4 V- 6 and yet it gets me a constant 29 miles per gallon on regular fuel. It is comfortable to drive and handles great. The 4 spd auto trans. is great for the miliage, but you need to use the 3rd gear to get the car to hold back on steep down hills or you will use up your brakes. In the 105,000 miles we have driven it I have replaced the front brakes once and checked two weeks ago still have 90% and the rear is still at about 40%. The car just turned 250,000 and the engine & trans. work great. I change the oil every 3,000 miles and I still have no need to add oil in between oil changes. For trips it is great with all of the room in the back.

Favorite Features

Performace and handling are great. The 4 wheel disc brakes are great for stoping even if it didn't have anti- lock. Sterio is great to lisen to. The moon roof is a great option. Best a/c system I have ever had.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders are in a poor location. Maybe some door pockets would have been nice. Don't stop making Pontiacs!!!

99 3.4L v6 2 door GT
By Jay

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

My wife bought the car before we met. In the last 3 years the car needed new brakes and rotors, intake gasket(which cost $863), and it had an ignition/ electrical problem. The security light would come on and the car would not start. We would have to leave the key in the on position for 10 minutes before the computer would allow the car to be started. It cost just over $200 to fix with no guarantee. Brakes are starting to go out again. Overall its an ok car.

Favorite Features

I love the power sun roof during the summer. I also love the stock sound system

Suggested Improvements

I would have put the gas door on the driver side.

Lemon, stay away, far, far away!
By Languish

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

7 years I have owned this car I have had to replace the following: 2 alternators 2 batteries 3 driver side power window motors 2 abs sensors 1 heating & a/c fan 1 head gasket and 1 intake manifold gasket 2 times rotor's replaced 2 times rotor's reground STAY AWAY FROM PONTIAC!

Favorite Features

None, extremely sorry I bought this car.

Suggested Improvements

Make a car that doesn't need to go the shop every month to get something fixed and or replaced.

Its Still Fun
By Randy King

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

Right from the start I loved the pickup this 6 cylinder car gave me. I've driven it for seven years and it still has that same pep. Ramping onto highways and accelerating down the road are done with confidence.

Favorite Features

Beside the kick of the engine my favorite feature is the steering wheel radio/stero controls.

Suggested Improvements

I'm sure GM has heard this a million times, but I have to say it again - fix the darn rotors. I've had to have them ground or replace several times in this Grand Am, just like I had to in my 1992 Grand Am. Find a different material or do something. Bouncing to a stop is not my idea of fun!