Used 1999 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1999 Pontiac Grand-am - Consumer Reviews

1999 Pontiac Grand Am

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

This car fell apart on me.
By mloes

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2002 when it had less than 30,000 miles. By the time I got rid of it at 130K, both side mirrors were held up with glue, the bottom of the car was held up with a clothes hanger, the front dash was cracked, the security system cut off the fuel system at random times, the fuel gauge was broken, it burned a quart of oil every 200 miles, the power steering fluid would spill out about once every few months, all windows were broken, the shocks were shot, the fan would only work on settings 3, 4 and 5, the knob for the fan was broken and ABS light would come on went I made sharp turns and the car would skid on dry ground regularly. In short, this car was a piece of garbage.

Favorite Features

It was sporty looking.

Suggested Improvements

Build the car with better parts.

WORST CAR EVER
By jpontiac

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned, It sits so low to the ground, in the front it has rusted out all over the wheel wells, and the underneathe, even after washing it once a week in the winter. I have had to replace, exhaust, cat, brakes, rotors, plugs, tires. Its not secure when I drive on dirt roads the dust and dirt comes right into the trunk. Very poor quality and the speakers sound awful

Favorite Features

The rear spoiler

Suggested Improvements

EVERYTHING

The Grand Am
By camaroj

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

Ive owned this car for a Year and a half it was pretty much immaculate When I bought it I happened to be the second owner in Its life time the pros: Its fun to Drive ,amazing on gas, reliable if well taken Care of , very stylish mines in white , interior is stylish ,has curb appeal , excellent sound system didnt exspect it to be that good, my complaints about this car is the front bumper is way too low to the ground and allways scrapes Its rusting Like crazy around Wheel Wells and on the rockers of the doors clear coat is chipping on spoiler and the most important thing remember to keep your oil topped off to the top twin CAM engines are notorios for that they burn oil Like crazy

Favorite Features

Sound system extierior styling everything mentioned above

Suggested Improvements

More room leg Room backseat room better interior quality

Loved it but ready for something new
By airiel13

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for nearly 4 years! And I've replaced just about every important part needed for the car to run!! I've spent over $1000 on my car, not the best but if your willing to have to fixer upper buy this car!! Plus the interior is poor quality, and why brown???

Favorite Features

Horsepower

Suggested Improvements

Change cup holder position Better interior design

The POS that refuses to die
By matthew32

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Have has my Grand AM since 2007. Was given to me by my parents who bought the car in 1999 with 12,000 mi. The car has always had regularly scheduled maintenance and now has almost 130k mi. I overhauled the engine at around 120k due to a spun #2 rod bearing. The 2.4l has marginal oil supply and this is fairly common. As far as doing major repairs, the car is relatively easy to work on. The interior in this car was the absolute worst of any I have ever owned - it started to fall apart when the car was only a few years old. Power windows all broke. Central locking and climate control switches broke. Vinyl peeling off the door panels. Dash warped. Seat padding breaking down.

Favorite Features

I do like the exterior styling of the vehicle, otherwise it leaves a lot to be desired. As far as basic mechanical reliability, it is above average. Have replaced all the usual wear items, but have had little in the way of unexpected repairs. The spun rod bearing only occurred after I bottomed out and bent the oil pan, causing a leak and resultant drop in oil pressure. These cars do handle reasonably well and acceleration is not bad. The 2.4l engine is perhaps one of the worst GM ever made - Noise Vibration and Harshness is very high and at its age, everything in my car rattles when I am stopped at a light. Having said that, Power is decent, but acceleration is hampered by the balancer assy.

Suggested Improvements

Could have used much better quality of interior parts. Avoid getting the 2.4l motor This is a fine, cheap car if you just want something that goes reliably and don't care if it looks like crap.