1999 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
WORST CAR EVER
By jpontiac on 06/25/13 20:38 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

This is by far the worst car I have ever owned, It sits so low to the ground, in the front it has rusted out all over the wheel wells, and the underneathe, even after washing it once a week in the winter. I have had to replace, exhaust, cat, brakes, rotors, plugs, tires. Its not secure when I drive on dirt roads the dust and dirt comes right into the trunk. Very poor quality and the speakers sound awful

The Grand Am
By camaroj on 06/14/13 20:17 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

Ive owned this car for a Year and a half it was pretty much immaculate When I bought it I happened to be the second owner in Its life time the pros: Its fun to Drive ,amazing on gas, reliable if well taken Care of , very stylish mines in white , interior is stylish ,has curb appeal , excellent sound system didnt exspect it to be that good, my complaints about this car is the front bumper is way too low to the ground and allways scrapes Its rusting Like crazy around Wheel Wells and on the rockers of the doors clear coat is chipping on spoiler and the most important thing remember to keep your oil topped off to the top twin CAM engines are notorios for that they burn oil Like crazy

Loved it but ready for something new
By airiel13 on 03/26/13 20:59 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I've had this car for nearly 4 years! And I've replaced just about every important part needed for the car to run!! I've spent over $1000 on my car, not the best but if your willing to have to fixer upper buy this car!! Plus the interior is poor quality, and why brown???

The POS that refuses to die
By matthew32 on 02/23/13 02:31 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Have has my Grand AM since 2007. Was given to me by my parents who bought the car in 1999 with 12,000 mi. The car has always had regularly scheduled maintenance and now has almost 130k mi. I overhauled the engine at around 120k due to a spun #2 rod bearing. The 2.4l has marginal oil supply and this is fairly common. As far as doing major repairs, the car is relatively easy to work on. The interior in this car was the absolute worst of any I have ever owned - it started to fall apart when the car was only a few years old. Power windows all broke. Central locking and climate control switches broke. Vinyl peeling off the door panels. Dash warped. Seat padding breaking down.

55 mph Headache!
By pugmamma on 12/18/12 19:35 PM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I traded my amazing volkswagen that ended up needing a radiator for this pontiac or pile of junk. I have had so many problems with it sparkplugs, headlights, trunk latch, windows, and now I need a flex pipe and I cannot figure out which one it needs the car is so loud because the flex pipe fell off somehow!!!

My 8-Month Nightmare
By sinaskafitch on 11/16/12 07:12 AM (PST)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

8 months ago, I bought a Grand Am off my friend at 140,000 miles. Turned out to be the worst decision I've made since. If I wasn't friends with a mechanic, this car would already be in the scrap pile. I've had to give it new wiring, a new starter, 2 new engine belts, a new mechanism that turns the engine belt, a new rear arm bar, and I had to remove the horn because it was faulty. The car also has a fuel pressure problem so now I pay out the nose for gas. I hate everything in this car down to the cup holders! It's cars like these that ruined Pontiac. This car is breaking my bank and my patience level. Hopefully getting a new car this week to get rid of this nightmare

Wow!
By camaroj on 09/25/12 12:01 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE1 4dr Sedan

Amaing car i am the second owner and this is the best car i have ever owned very reliable and great on gas i do keep up on the oil changed ext the first owner owned this car from 1999 to 2011 this is my second year owning this car and i will say my only complaints are the front of the car is to low to the ground and allways scrapes and the paint near the wheel wells is rusting my car now has 380000 miles and still runs great. if they were still making this car i would recomend to use less plastic and parts chip and break easy but the car it self is very relaible!

Satisfied Buyer
By grandamboi on 04/10/12 09:07 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I got my car in 2011 knowing it had a blown head with coolant leaking and rust in the water res. I got the car for $400 after talking the seller down 200. With income tax and a friend and myself doing the repairs to the car, we replaced intake manifold, shaved the heads, egr value, brake pads, water res, some tubes, and a few other things for well under 1k and now the car runs like new. I consider it a steal. Later the security bypass went haywire but the car is over 10 years old so I googled it. Was as simple as taking the radio out, cutting the car on, and cutting a wire...problem fixed. My next project is window regs and a/c compressor and mirror then the car will be fully restored.

Never again!
By smithkjw on 03/22/12 08:22 AM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 2dr Coupe

Everything about this car is more difficult than it has to be! This car was a gift from family when our previous car died, but we have spent three times it's value fixing it... And every repair leads to way more frustration because of its design. Replacing headlights is a quick and easy repair on every car I've driven until this one. On this car I had to have help to remove the entire headlight assembly which was no easy task. Replacing radiator hoses reqiures removal of several unrelated things. Fuel line tends to rust at the fuel filter, requiring replacement of the fuel line which is built into the fuel tank! AC vents spin and keep air from coming out.

Love my Grand Am
By alie0313 on 09/13/11 20:15 PM (PDT)

1999 Pontiac Grand Am SE2 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for 5 years now, bought off my aunt. It has 150,000 miles on her and she still runs like new! Ive had to replave the power steering pump and chip that controls electricals on the dash at about 140,000 miles. Other than that, she runs great, mpg is good and plenty of room for a family!!