1998 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Gauges
By baybays4 on 12/03/11 14:57 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I have a 98 pontiac grand am while driving it ALL the gauges stopped working, turned it off and let it sit for a few weeks, started car let it run for about 30 minutes, and guages still not working.

Great car just needs taken care of right
By amariscruz on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Love my car it's a 98' Grand Am GT. Handles like no other fuel economy is great. This car is good it just needs taken care of. Sounds like the guy above who had to replace all those things on his car a month after buying it had a leak in his radiator but kept trying to drive it like that thats why it messed up his head gasket. You"ll love to drive this car fast and fun

My Favorite Car!
By calmann on 02/27/09 07:19 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Tough car! I have always taken care of it and it has done the same for me! Bought it with 57k on it and it now has 135k. For the money, the best car I've owned! I've spent 400 bucks on it besides reg maintenance. Been back and forth between coasts and would still trust it to go right now! Windows are slow, has a water leak in the interior. Has never been in a garage since I have owned it. I still beatrun it to work and don't ever have a problem! I would buy another in a minute. I have had people ask me to sell it more than a few times!IE. A note on my window after being in a store! Not selling! Gonna keep her till she drops!

It's just as good as Honda or Toyota
By Rob on 12/29/07 11:07 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

This is my first car and I love it. I did do some window shopping at the Camry or Accord, but those cars are fairly bland. The Grand Am, especially in GT form, can get you anywhere you need. Read any review and you will likely see "piece of crap" and "unreliable" associated with this car. This is not the case. Treat it like gold, and it will last. Since Feb 2007 i have had only two problems. The EGR valve and an exhaust manifold leak. The car runs like a dream and the 3100 V6 is as fast as a V6 powered camry or accord, but for far less money. The car is safe, too, with dual airbags and ABS. I strongly recommend getting one fairly well equipped with the CD player, power equipment, etc.

Fun car to drive expensive to keep
By carlover on 01/25/05 00:08 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Had this car for about a year when problems slowly started appearing. First was the notorious Coolant leak that GrandAMs commonly have.Next the igngition coils blew on 2 cylinders, all this needing about 1200$ to fix.As a poor student, this ate most of my savings. Car is extremely powerful.Just step on the gas pedal and all it asks you is what speed you want to run to. Interior is not well designed..esp the cup holders are awkward.The front cup holder cant be used when gear is in Park.Fuel economy is 15-16 mpg once you reach about 60k miles.ALl I can say is that dont buy the HorsePower you dont need.Go for a Toyota/Honda and keep maintenance minimum and get a good resale value.

Great Car
By adgirl402004 on 08/24/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I've been very happy with my Grand Am.

wehatesit
By sickofit on 10/30/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

At first sight we loved it, after a year we hate it! The alternator went out twice, along with the battery. This will cause the motor to shut down sei zing your gaershift and ability to retrieve your keys.Fuel pump, fuel injector, abs sensors, four rotors with pads,swing arm all replaced. Trans mission also runs noisy in lower gears.Radio is going bad now and my side view mirror even fell of while washing the car one day! Overall pontiac made a loser when they put this hunk of metal together.