1998 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Still Blows Me Away
By joser94 on 11/17/13 03:51 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for a little over a year now after getting it pretty cheap and I love it and hope to have it for years to come. First few months were okay but did a few weird things that required some work to be done to it but no problem because I do just about all of it myself. It growled when accelerating from a stop but surprisingly fun to drive and extremely cozy in the fall and winter! I got 3 months/2000 miles out of it and the engine bearings went bad, guessing the previous owner didn't keep the oil changed. Since then all has been well with it. I have replaced the brake pads and rotors, drums and shoes, mounts and alternator but it makes up for that wit it's power!

Not bad
By Sam on 01/26/09 14:04 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for over a year and it so far hasn't caused me too many problems except new brakes and a new alternator. It's fun to drive but I would still like to see a little more power.

Love my car
By Wendy on 11/28/06 10:19 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I bought my car used with 32,000 miles on it. I have put on a little over 40,000 in the past four years and have had NO problems with my car. It has been perfect in the snow, perfect in wet weather, nice and cool in the summer. I have only had to replace a few things, but I have a wonderful mechanic who takes good care of the car; I haven't needed any expensive work done. I love this car and were it not for an expanding family, I would never sell it. Two-doors aren't very car-seat friendly!

Loved this car.
By NYCGirl on 08/26/06 14:32 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I really did love this car. I purchased the 1998 SE Coupe in 2001 with 28k on it. Drove it from NYC to Florida, to Detroit, Chicago, Cleveland (love the roadtrips), and never had a problem save normal wear and tear. The engine was ridiculously fast (and it was cherry red.. yes, I got many speeding tickets), and it STUCK to the road. I hated to get rid of it, because it was still in excellent condition, but I couldn't afford to park it in Manhattan anymore ($400 a month.. ouch). Really do love this car, though.

Good Little Car
By Good Little Car on 08/04/06 10:57 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Bought the car with only 1200 miles on it, and was always a great car. Always got me where I needed to go, never left me stranded. The AC always blows cold, and I have never had to do any major maintence besides brakes, and fluids. The engine is fast, and gets great fuel economy. But, one day we took it up town, went in the store, came out, and would not start. Car had 242,000 miles on it by then. Was a great car, and we were expecting it to go. Guy at the shop said the engine was blown, and we had the option to crush it, or rebuild it. We crushed it, and now own a 2001 Chrysler PT Cruiser.

Manual Transmissions Are Better
By garfieldfreak_69 on 10/31/05 11:00 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I learned to drive a maunal on my car. I first had a 1997 Grand Prix. I loved it because it was big and easy to drive, but now I love my 1998 Grand Am because it's just right. It's not tiny and it's not too big. It's also loads of fun to shift through town. My car only breaks down because my cousin owned it first in New York and never washed the under carriage.

Great Low cost car
By Esteban on 09/09/05 10:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I have been driving a 2D SE pontiac for a couple of years and havent had any problem its a very good car for the price

Do not buy a pontiac
By Antonio on 03/25/05 02:11 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

After buying the car with around 80K miles, we were told that it was normal wear for the manifold intake to leak. This is the coolant intake. It costs around $700 to fix for a car that has a bluebook of around $4500 best case scenario. This is just for this leak, other problems common. NO LONG TERM reliability at all. Avoid Pontiac at all costs if you need a reliable car. The WORST car I have ever owned and will never, ever buy a Pontiac again, new or used.

Fun but big problems
By Danfish85 on 06/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

It's been a fun car that i'm forced to get rid of. It's been plagued with random problems since i bought it. Lots and lots of electrical problems. I've replaced alternator multiple times, battery countless times, starter, random sensors and wires, ball join, etc.

RIPPED OFF!!!!
By raecheal on 05/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I love the body style of the car well pretty much everything about the car would have been great but unfourtantly I am a female and they figured that they could pretty much scew me over. But I have also learned that Pontiac vehicles not just Grand Am vechicles are notorious for engine problems if they are the 3400 series engines so my suggestion would be not to by a car with a 3400 series engine make sure you have a 3800. They are nice cars but you just have to get a good one I guess. Or maybe the manufactures just make them look nice. But that is my opinion.