1998 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews

1998 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Still Blows Me Away
By joser94 on 11/17/13 03:51 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for a little over a year now after getting it pretty cheap and I love it and hope to have it for years to come. First few months were okay but did a few weird things that required some work to be done to it but no problem because I do just about all of it myself. It growled when accelerating from a stop but surprisingly fun to drive and extremely cozy in the fall and winter! I got 3 months/2000 miles out of it and the engine bearings went bad, guessing the previous owner didn't keep the oil changed. Since then all has been well with it. I have replaced the brake pads and rotors, drums and shoes, mounts and alternator but it makes up for that wit it's power!

Pontiac Grand Am
By jessay123 on 03/07/12 16:55 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I baught my 98 Grand Am almost a year ago with 120k miles. The fitst couple of months were great. Then heater core went out, water pump, timing chain tenion thing, window motor, a rubber on the engine mount and now it's leaking either trans fluid or power steering fluid. Other than the reaccuring problems the car drives great. Also the pick up is pretty decent for a 4cyl.

Gauges
By baybays4 on 12/03/11 14:57 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I have a 98 pontiac grand am while driving it ALL the gauges stopped working, turned it off and let it sit for a few weeks, started car let it run for about 30 minutes, and guages still not working.

Best Eight Years Ever and Still Running Strong
By jake0886 on 05/07/11 18:28 PM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1998 Grand Am SE 3.1L since 2003 and am still driving it today, for an amazing 8 years! I have all installed options as well. Best of all, I've had zero issues with it. Considering this was my first car during high school, that's quite a feat. Originally it had 48K miles and was a salvage title that cost me $2800 + $700 in parts to rebuild. It survived my pizza delivery days in high school, college days and 8 years later...I'm still driving it as it just won't die like many friends and family predict it would. Currently still running with zero issues at 178K. Best $3500 investment ever! I absolutely love this car and would gladly a new Pontiac if they still existed!

BAD
By dudeman15926 on 12/26/10 00:03 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Owned this car for about 2 years. Since I had it i had nothing but problems. I bought it with 93000 Miles. Although, for a 4 cylinder, this is a fast car :P but i had all sorts of problems with it. Heater Core, Thermostat, Power steering, window regulator broke, and a few others. This was only in the course of 2 years. The car wouldnt start unless i held down the gas and started it. My brother also had a 2001? grand am and also had SO many issues with it. This is not a good car. 2/2 grand ams sucked. dont get one.

Great car just needs taken care of right
By amariscruz on 11/02/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Love my car it's a 98' Grand Am GT. Handles like no other fuel economy is great. This car is good it just needs taken care of. Sounds like the guy above who had to replace all those things on his car a month after buying it had a leak in his radiator but kept trying to drive it like that thats why it messed up his head gasket. You"ll love to drive this car fast and fun

Style Great Engine Stinks
By Leia on 01/12/10 16:33 PM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased the car with 100,000 miles on it. Within the first year I had to park the car and replace the intake manifold gaskets and the fuel pressure regulator. A year later I had to park it again to find out why the car wouldn't go into park anymore. After taking of the solenoid from the shifter I was able to drive it again only to find the tranny leaking and a major rack and pinion leak. Over all I only got 20,000 miles out of it and sold it as fast as I could. I loved the body style and it was wonderful to drive but to fix it you have to have deep pockets. It's a money pit. I will stay a ford girl after this. Change the engine and I might come back.

My Granny Am
By Kayla M on 08/28/09 00:49 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Since getting my Grand Am in 2004, it has been an overall great ride. Although it may not look sporty or "cool", it's reliability is pretty good. Thus far the fuel pump, and shifter are the only real problems I have had. In winter, it is pretty amazing, especially since I live in the country and do lots of highway driving. The car is fairly fuel efficient as well.

decent
By sean on 06/04/09 03:28 AM (PDT)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Bought the car about 4 yrs ago with only 20k... Ran fine for about 10k and a timing chain tensior went out. Had it replaced. But other than that this has been a wonderful car. Only think i notice is if you turn the heater on your smell coolant for a min then goes away. No leaks however.

My Favorite Car!
By calmann on 02/27/09 07:19 AM (PST)

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Tough car! I have always taken care of it and it has done the same for me! Bought it with 57k on it and it now has 135k. For the money, the best car I've owned! I've spent 400 bucks on it besides reg maintenance. Been back and forth between coasts and would still trust it to go right now! Windows are slow, has a water leak in the interior. Has never been in a garage since I have owned it. I still beatrun it to work and don't ever have a problem! I would buy another in a minute. I have had people ask me to sell it more than a few times!IE. A note on my window after being in a store! Not selling! Gonna keep her till she drops!