Used 1998 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 59 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

A fun Ride!
By Allen

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Where to start with this car? I owned a 1998 Pontiac grand AM GT V6. I bought the car in 2012 when I first turned 16 at 132,000 miles. I'll start with the good. The V6 engine in the car gets up and it is pretty loud for a nice vroom vroom feel. I drove this car hard during my whole 4 years of owning it and not once did the engine or transmission show any signs of wear. In the winter the car will start with no problems. I had co-workers with 05's and up whose cars would not budge at all in the cold weather, my Pontiac would turn on and be driving down the road about a minute later. Now electronics are obviously not going to be top notch in this car as it is a 1998. I came with a standard radio and a cassette player so at least you could use a cassette to MP3 player for music(I replaced the radio). Now the bad, keep in mind I did not get a carfax before I bought this car and the shady dealer I bought it from did not do any work before hand. The car was in the shop for quite a few minor fixes. I Probably spent around $2000 in repairs on the car. Ball bearings were bad but went to crap about 3 months after I bought the car $400, I had seal for the radiator bust that cost me $600 along with other radiator repairs...In the winter this car does horrible in the snow. Even with good tires and new brakes it is terrifying to drive in any type of snow, but if you drive careful as you should it will get you to your destination safely. The window motor on my driver side window went bad so it would only go down halfway. The passenger side window motor would not go down at all. I have read reviews before about he window motors on the make and model so I would be wary of those...Besides that I finally got into a new car this year in 2016 leaving my Pontiac with 180k miles. The Pontiac was still running and would probably still be running for another few years. I would recommend this car for a first car or for something reliable and fun.

Still Blows Me Away
By joser94

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for a little over a year now after getting it pretty cheap and I love it and hope to have it for years to come. First few months were okay but did a few weird things that required some work to be done to it but no problem because I do just about all of it myself. It growled when accelerating from a stop but surprisingly fun to drive and extremely cozy in the fall and winter!
I got 3 months/2000 miles out of it and the engine bearings went bad, guessing the previous owner didn't keep the oil changed. Since then all has been well with it. I have replaced the brake pads and rotors, drums and shoes, mounts and alternator but it makes up for that wit it's power!

Power, Sound of engine, handling after suspension and tire upgrade, sporty looks after minor exterior upgrades, potential of 2.4l engine

Engine mounts seem to weaken quickly, engine lubing isn't sufficient, and rides rough on bad roads even after upgrades

Pontiac Grand Am
By jessay123

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I baught my 98 Grand Am almost a year ago with 120k miles. The fitst couple of months were great. Then heater core went out, water pump, timing chain tenion thing, window motor, a rubber on the engine mount and now it's leaking either trans fluid or power steering fluid. Other than the reaccuring problems the car drives great. Also the pick up is pretty decent for a 4cyl.

Gauges
By baybays4

1998 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I have a 98 pontiac grand am while driving it ALL
the gauges stopped working, turned it off and let it sit for a few weeks, started car let it run for about 30 minutes, and guages still not working.

Best Eight Years Ever and Still Running Strong
By jake0886

1998 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I've owned my 1998 Grand Am SE 3.1L since 2003 and am still driving it today, for an amazing 8 years!
I have all installed options as well.
Best of all, I've had zero issues with it.
Considering this was my first car during high school, that's quite a feat.
Originally it had 48K miles and was a salvage title that cost me $2800 + $700 in parts to rebuild.
It survived my pizza delivery days in high school, college days and 8 years later...I'm still driving it as it just won't die like many friends and family predict it would.
Currently still running with zero issues at 178K.
Best $3500 investment ever!

I absolutely love this car and would gladly a new Pontiac if they still existed!

Fuel economy(and I drive the 3.1 V6), Reliability/Longevity, Acceleration, Value - Cost me $3500 which included V6 engine, premium sound, power moonroof, spoiler, ect. Low insurance premiums. I plan to keep this car after buying a 2010 vehicle as this one will be great for driving during the nasty winter months.

Rides a bit rough, then again all Grand Am's are like this. Engine knock(very light). I've always had the infamous engine ticking sound that many people believe will cause a break down. Luckily, if the vehicle warms up for a little bit it goes away. Theft light issue - On rare occasion I must wait 10 minutes to start the vehicle due to theft protection system. Solenoid in steering column sometimes needs to be depressed manually to retrieve keys. Car(now in 2011) doesn't always like subzero temps in Iowa winters!