1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan Consumer Reviews 5

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Used GT
By GM User on 06/05/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought my wife a used '96 Grand Am GT with 42,000 miles. I thought that was low milage considering we bought it in '02. I went ahead and purchased an extended warranty, thank god. After owning the vehicle for one week we had to replace the Window motor driver side, the head gasket, the O2 Sensor, and the Alternator. Granted, we purchased used so I don't know how the vehicle was being maintained by the previous owner. But I've heard similar problems with this model from other owners.

A HORRIBLE CAR
By Sandra Poppell on 04/29/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car, a demo, from a dealer with less than 3000 miles on it. This car is on it's THIRD totally new, transmission at 62,000 miles. All of the window motors and door locks, the coil housing unit (twice), the catalytic converter (twice), power steering unit, water pump and both oxygen sensors were replaced within three years. There have been numerous repairs to gauges, fans, and pressure lines. I've had the car towed twice this year because it starts and then chokes off immediately. They can't find the problem. I got a recall notice today from GM stating a "starting" problem that could cause fire. Great!! I wouldn't recommend this car to anyone.

Not a bad little car
By sims on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This is a really nice car. The design for price is a plus. It's inexpensive and yet doesn't look like a box. With a little four cylinder engine it can really move too.

No Help
By lissabean2 on 03/26/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I loved my car, until the engine blew in it. I found out that this is typical in Pontiac Grand Am's. Too bad I found this out a little to late. GM would not help me replace the motor because (1) I was not the original owner (2) I was over the warranty (BY 400 MILES). If I could do it all over I would NOT buy this car. My experience with GM has been horrible, I have never experienced such rude customer service before. I will never buy another GM and I will try to convince others of the same.