Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

the best lemon
By pmt

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in the beginnig of 2003 @ 101k. For the last year I had to repalce the starter, alternator, clutch, windshield and water pump (that killed me, over $500 for a simple water pump, problems with A/C. At 104k the transmission died and I junked the car. The worst reliability ever.

Favorite Features

5 speed, powerful engine

Suggested Improvements

almost everything, extremely bad design.

Don't Ever buy Pontiac
By Rodney Rollins

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Car was a disaster from the first year owned. 12 visits to the shop for brakes, mirror knob kept falling off, and visor. I have gone thru 3 radiators, 4 alternators, 2 starters, then it was determined there was a recall on the starter switch, after years of turning key repeadetly on to start, it is determined to be a fire hazard, and needed immediate recall. You think that might have something to do with all the electrical problems. 1 month after fixing the switch the starter went out again, and Pontiac refused to believe the faulty starter switch was to blame. I have since had the seat fail (my wife who is 120 lbs drove this car), and finally the engine gave out at 106k miles.WONDERFUL

Favorite Features

NONE This car is a nightmare! So is the dealership and Pontiac.

Suggested Improvements

Go Bankrupt

'96 4dr Grand Am GT, 2.4L, 5-speed
By RavynX

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I've had this car now for almost 4 years; I purchased it back in 2000 @ 72k miles (it's now at 115k miles). It has basically been my first car ever and it's been a blast for this first 2.5 years. That's when trouble started to hit near 90k miles. I've replaced the transmission AND then fully rebuilt it a year later; also master and slave cylinders went out on me recently. Coolant leaks and water pump failures. Replaced the alternator twice already and many more repairs. I've basically spent over $5000 in repairs this year. I'm planning on selling it for a more reliable car in the next few months. Other than that, it has a great ride, nice sound to the 2.4L engine, and good seats.

Favorite Features

The 2.4L engine is nice & has great acceleration. The 5-speed is also very nice and makes it more fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Needs better build quality and better reliability. That's it.

Nothing but problems
By minnesotagirl

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car looks so sporty-sure hope it will help it sell fast!!! Bought it one year ago for 3000.00, have put in over 1500.00 with another 1000.00 needed. AC compressor failed, water pump, power steering lines and hose, intake gasket, plenum gasket, valve cover gaskets and o-rings, alternator all needed replacing. Now has some suspension problems. Need I say more?

Favorite Features

great looks.

Suggested Improvements

Send Pontiac engineers to Japan to learn how the "real" car-builders do things! Simply can't afford to keep owning American made cars!!

bad idea
By kps

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I paid six tousand for the car and put in 4000 worth of engine repair work into the car

Favorite Features

fog lights

Suggested Improvements

everthing needs to be re thought