1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan Consumer Reviews 4

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan - Consumer Reviews

1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Another Repair
By A. Motorist on 12/27/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Car purchased new from dealer. Have replaced every power window motor at least once and two, twice, @ 2-400 each. Transmission is loud when shifting. Continued problems with gear shift and not being able to remove the key when vehicle is placed in park. Another $600 repair. Interior doesn't wear well. Air conditioner is unreliable at best. Every dealer gives a different story as to what it would take to repair. UNRELIABLE CAR. NEVER AGAIN

5 Speed, 4 Cyl, 4 Dr GT - Water pump!
By GMUser on 11/11/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

OK, overall I have enjoyed this car which I bought new, but the mechanical reliability is questionable. The worst design flaw is the water pump it is driven from the cam chain and requires a MAJOR stripdown of one side of the engine to replace. For a water pump!!! They cost over $500 to replace and last about 40000 miles - Pontiac this was not a smart idea.

GOOD VALUE FOR THE PRICE
By tonytone on 11/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had a very good experience with my Grad Am. Bought it with 30,000 miles on board. Other neg. reviewers must have driven the car too hard. I've enjoyed the Power,the Styling,the Reliability. Only had typical American car problems.(replace d altenator,water pump,)Interior is cheaply made,but,holds up very well to usage.

POS
By King1 on 08/26/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

POS...Miller Lite..it's it and that's that.

Too many problems
By eugenemd on 05/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

New transmission at 33,000 miles. New head gasket at 50,000 miles and new intake manifold gasket at 65,000 miles, among other less annoying and cheaper failures. Quality lacking in this machine. I won't buy a Pontiac again!

Jeremy's 1996 Pontiac GrandAm GT
By Jer Jer on 04/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car is the best ever!! I love it!! I bout this car in 1998 and it is the best! It runs great and it looks realy sporty!!

Problem after Problem
By tpdixon on 02/10/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My alternator had to be replaced twice in less than two years. The brakes barely last past a year. And the worst problem I have had that has yet to be fixed by the dealership, when I try to turn the car off, the key gets stuck so my lights and battery stay on (but the motor is off), and it stays that way for about 15 minutes before deciding to let go. I took it to a pontiac dealership and they charged me $213 for the problem NOT to be fixed and refused to give me my money back and I have taken it back several times and they still cannot fix the problem.

Cars likes and favorites
By Pollys288 on 02/07/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I am very impressed with this car and how it handles, I need to know more about ABS and automatic transmissions.

money pit
By MsLundquist on 01/24/03 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

we have never had a worse car. constant breakdowns, new transmission, suspension problems, window motor, leaks of every kind...i could go on and on. This car is truly terrible

In the shop
By toddlori on 09/22/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car has had all sorts of problems from the moment we bought it. If it wasn't leaking oil, it was going through 2 (yes 2) alternators in a little over a year. Plus the stupid check engine light comes on all the time for no apparent reason (except to get us to fork over $80 to get it turned off). Basically it's been a money pit. But hey, it looks nice.