Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Beware!
By Cleo

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 years ago for my son. I have probably spend over $3500 in repairs since then. From the alternator 3 weeks after I bought it to the failure of the electrical system to the the cracked radiator ect...I gave up and put this car where it belong: to the junk yard. If you start having problems with this car..think twice before atrating to spend hundreds of dollars in repairs. It is not worth it.

n/a

n/a

my grand am
By squeakers

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

my mother bought this car one year after it came out, in 1997, it is now 2007, when i got my license she gave me this car, and it still runs like new..even though it has almost 300,000 miles on it...in a few months i am going to be trading it in for a new one, because the quality is outstanding....

my favorite features are the 5 speed manual trans., and the automatic lights, and the list goes on...

none the car is perfect....

It sure has been built for keeps!
By T Lo

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2.4L, 4 cyl Grand Am in 1997 used with 30,000 miles. Currently, it's a shade under 170,000 and she's still going strong. I get ragged by many friends who say I have an old ugly car, but I can't disagree more. A few mechanical problems have occurred (2 alternators, 2 water pumps, window motors that STINK, and a vacuum tube that baffled every mechanic except a Pontiac dealership) have occurred in 9 years. Currently, itching at getting a G6 Convertible. It's hard not to keep this car until the wheels fall off, nice not having a car note! I have no regrets owning this car during my entire 20's. Installed alarm and CD disk changer, so it's been functional and fun for me.

I've always liked the seats and headrests (they go straight up, unlike the G6 that juts forward). I'm sure those cloth seats molded to my body over the past 9 years! Good get up and go for a 4 cylinder.

An assorted group of squeaks and rattles, but sometimes they would just disappear! Had the instrument cluster replaced a few times back in 1997, the fuel gauge still is NOT accurate - keep up with your mileage (found out the hard way!). Rear ended in 1999, trunk still has leak problem, o well.

Good Bargain, Reliable. Style
By big-G

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 94,000 and now have 115,000. The 2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder motor has great low end aceleration and great high end tourqe. No maintenance other than routine and an 0-2 sensor which was only 70 dollars and isnt an urgent problem. The car does have the tendency to overheat after longer rides with the A/C on, but what car wouldnt after so many miles. The exterior is very sporty looking and stylish for the price. The interior is comfortable but can feel a little cramped for the front passenger. Also, the car could have a little higher quality door panels etc. they tend to rattle and may feel a little "cheap". decent stock sound. great handling and cornering. Awesome speed for its class.

The car is an all around bargain. rides and runs very well at high mileage. looks great. Very fun to drive. Quick. Good corners. Low Maitence. A/c and Heat work well. comfortable bucket seats.

when compared to its foreign competitors, the interior looks great yet feels a little cheap and tends to rattle. gear changes are semi- jumpy, yet many automatics in these years were. besides, it adds to the sporty feel and jumps less then all my friends honda's, acura's from same year range.

great car
By mr_smith

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My first car was this 1996 Grand Am. All I have to say is that this car took a beating and kept on going. I ran it hard and didn't take care of it the way I should've. My parents gave me the car with about 115,000 miles on it. The only repair they had done was giving it a new alternator. I drove the car for about 50,000 miles (hard and without proper maintenance) with no problems. I backed into a tree and a minivan (hit the van pretty hard) with no damage at all. I rear ended a blazer and the only damage from that was a hole in bumper from the trailor hitch. The only problem I had with the car is that the gas gauge was messed up but if you kept over a 1/4 tank then you'd be fine.

This car had plenty of room for friends. Very easy to get in and out quickly.

Gas gauge