1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Total road warrior
By Jordan on 03/27/06 16:41 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I have had my car since august 2005 and it has been so much fun. it is so great for having fun in whether it be street dragging or what ever it still got the job done in the end it has great low end and high end torque and everything is original except the alternater t-stat battery and starter and of course maintanance stuff. but if i was given the opportunity to buy another one it would be sooo worth it and i was 18 when i bought it on my own and there is not a day where i would go without it. and it handles so quickly and well at 90 mph and when going that fast you look at the road and your doing 110 mph without even knowing it. IT HAS A GREAT SOUND SYSTEM.

96 Grand Am disappointing
By Ken Stufflebeam on 02/21/06 16:32 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for my teenage sons to drive, 98k, SE model, 4-door, 4 cyl, auto. Thought it would be economical and practical transportation. Trans failed at 108k, no heater now - core failure, many repairs required, gas mileage not great for a 4 cyl, 21 city 26 hwy, squeeks, creaks, rattles. In all fairness it was worn out when I got it and you get what you pay for.

Great Car
By Mary Todd on 10/29/05 20:47 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new and have had very good luck with it overall. Gas mileage averages 33 MPG. It always starts and runs very well.

pontiac
By lisa on 07/28/05 08:22 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 108,000 miles on it and it has 144,000 on it now and it still runs GREAT...I have had a few brake problems but other than that it has been a great car:)

well-well
By jules on 05/12/05 23:54 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

American car, American quality but 28 MPG is impressive. In average $100 maintenance per month and you will spend it all for sure. I have 140K miles but still running well. Forget regular gas, it doesn't like it.

the best lemon
By pmt on 02/19/05 21:39 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought the car in the beginnig of 2003 @ 101k. For the last year I had to repalce the starter, alternator, clutch, windshield and water pump (that killed me, over $500 for a simple water pump, problems with A/C. At 104k the transmission died and I junked the car. The worst reliability ever.

Don't Ever buy Pontiac
By Rodney Rollins on 02/16/05 21:46 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

Car was a disaster from the first year owned. 12 visits to the shop for brakes, mirror knob kept falling off, and visor. I have gone thru 3 radiators, 4 alternators, 2 starters, then it was determined there was a recall on the starter switch, after years of turning key repeadetly on to start, it is determined to be a fire hazard, and needed immediate recall. You think that might have something to do with all the electrical problems. 1 month after fixing the switch the starter went out again, and Pontiac refused to believe the faulty starter switch was to blame. I have since had the seat fail (my wife who is 120 lbs drove this car), and finally the engine gave out at 106k miles.WONDERFUL

'96 4dr Grand Am GT, 2.4L, 5-speed
By RavynX on 10/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I've had this car now for almost 4 years; I purchased it back in 2000 @ 72k miles (it's now at 115k miles). It has basically been my first car ever and it's been a blast for this first 2.5 years. That's when trouble started to hit near 90k miles. I've replaced the transmission AND then fully rebuilt it a year later; also master and slave cylinders went out on me recently. Coolant leaks and water pump failures. Replaced the alternator twice already and many more repairs. I've basically spent over $5000 in repairs this year. I'm planning on selling it for a more reliable car in the next few months. Other than that, it has a great ride, nice sound to the 2.4L engine, and good seats.

Nothing but problems
By minnesotagirl on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

This car looks so sporty-sure hope it will help it sell fast!!! Bought it one year ago for 3000.00, have put in over 1500.00 with another 1000.00 needed. AC compressor failed, water pump, power steering lines and hose, intake gasket, plenum gasket, valve cover gaskets and o-rings, alternator all needed replacing. Now has some suspension problems. Need I say more?

bad idea
By kps on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I paid six tousand for the car and put in 4000 worth of engine repair work into the car