1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Decent for 13 year old car
By md on 02/24/10 05:53 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $600 last January. I took it to a mechanic before buying it so that I would know there were not any major issues and what to be prepared for in the future. The transmission, motor (although it does need a new motor mount)and other major components seem to be doing well. In the past year I have had to replace the tie rods, CV joints ($500) heater core (300) and serpentine belt. I do not feel that this is to much work to put into an other wise reliable car for the cheap price I paid. I now have 188,000 miles and expect it to continue going strong. I think people who have had back experiences with this or any car did not do their homework or mechanic check before buying

Little Issues but still runs.....
By Robert on 02/11/10 10:01 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my uncle that originally got it from my grandma. I dont know what he did to it but he got tired of tryin to fix the car so he gave it to me. All it needed was a new waterpump. I also put in a new thermostast and got the radiator flushed with it. All i really need to do is get my two front door motors and regulaters replaced and my a/c, but this car drove tho, Spite its little flaws it still drove, and cranked. Now at 104,998 it runs great just got to put in the windows and a/c, and i may need to change the radiator soon too. Cuz it does get a little hot in the summer, but then again i had to change the temperature senor cuz it was'nt reading right so i may not.

'96 Grand Am GT
By Daniel on 04/27/08 08:46 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This is my first car, and it's certainly fun to drive, but it has some issues. Window motors are absolutely terrible, had to replace the driver's side and will likely need to replace passenger's soon. Several other minor issues, adding up to ~$600 in repair bills in a year.

Love the car hate the gas
By stillarebel31 on 03/26/08 21:10 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Where is it going? The gas, one minute i can fill my tank on $40.00. 3 days later I am on E. Not happy where is it all going? I am sure not hotrodding it cant afford to go out much or drive all over ) just go to work and back. and i had over a 1/2 tank this afternoon same day i have quarter of a tank... my only problem is the power steering hose and the gas the GAS where is it going... My boyfriend is a mechanic I bought the car from a mechanic and i am getting mad. that i can't keep gas in this car,

BAD
By custom man on 03/19/08 10:32 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for almost 2 years, it is a 5 speed and i luv the car to death, i've had problems all the time but nothing to major all the time. i've replaced the tranny and clutch once and it ran amazingly since. I street race the car, i have a custom exhaust on it, custom intake, and a lot of interior work do to it. they come with the Z24 racing engine (stock 150 HP) since all my mods i have figured that the car has about 185 hp now and amazing take off and torque. i have a lot of corners around here and the car cornered well before hand but now i have replace all the control arms, sway bar mounts, tie rod boots, and end links and the car is amazing at cornering now. All in all i luv the car.

Beware!
By Cleo on 09/07/07 10:17 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 2 years ago for my son. I have probably spend over $3500 in repairs since then. From the alternator 3 weeks after I bought it to the failure of the electrical system to the the cracked radiator ect...I gave up and put this car where it belong: to the junk yard. If you start having problems with this car..think twice before atrating to spend hundreds of dollars in repairs. It is not worth it.

my grand am
By squeakers on 02/28/07 13:01 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

my mother bought this car one year after it came out, in 1997, it is now 2007, when i got my license she gave me this car, and it still runs like new..even though it has almost 300,000 miles on it...in a few months i am going to be trading it in for a new one, because the quality is outstanding....

It sure has been built for keeps!
By T Lo on 11/02/06 15:04 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought my 2.4L, 4 cyl Grand Am in 1997 used with 30,000 miles. Currently, it's a shade under 170,000 and she's still going strong. I get ragged by many friends who say I have an old ugly car, but I can't disagree more. A few mechanical problems have occurred (2 alternators, 2 water pumps, window motors that STINK, and a vacuum tube that baffled every mechanic except a Pontiac dealership) have occurred in 9 years. Currently, itching at getting a G6 Convertible. It's hard not to keep this car until the wheels fall off, nice not having a car note! I have no regrets owning this car during my entire 20's. Installed alarm and CD disk changer, so it's been functional and fun for me.

Good Bargain, Reliable. Style
By big-G on 07/17/06 20:00 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought it with 94,000 and now have 115,000. The 2.4L DOHC 4 cylinder motor has great low end aceleration and great high end tourqe. No maintenance other than routine and an 0-2 sensor which was only 70 dollars and isnt an urgent problem. The car does have the tendency to overheat after longer rides with the A/C on, but what car wouldnt after so many miles. The exterior is very sporty looking and stylish for the price. The interior is comfortable but can feel a little cramped for the front passenger. Also, the car could have a little higher quality door panels etc. they tend to rattle and may feel a little "cheap". decent stock sound. great handling and cornering. Awesome speed for its class.

great car
By mr_smith on 06/11/06 06:18 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

My first car was this 1996 Grand Am. All I have to say is that this car took a beating and kept on going. I ran it hard and didn't take care of it the way I should've. My parents gave me the car with about 115,000 miles on it. The only repair they had done was giving it a new alternator. I drove the car for about 50,000 miles (hard and without proper maintenance) with no problems. I backed into a tree and a minivan (hit the van pretty hard) with no damage at all. I rear ended a blazer and the only damage from that was a hole in bumper from the trailor hitch. The only problem I had with the car is that the gas gauge was messed up but if you kept over a 1/4 tank then you'd be fine.

1 2 3 4 5 next »