Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan Consumer Reviews - 44 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Decent for 13 year old car
By md

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $600 last January. I took it to a mechanic before buying it so that I would know there were not any major issues and what to be prepared for in the future. The transmission, motor (although it does need a new motor mount)and other major components seem to be doing well. In the past year I have had to replace the tie rods, CV joints ($500) heater core (300) and serpentine belt. I do not feel that this is to much work to put into an other wise reliable car for the cheap price I paid. I now have 188,000 miles and expect it to continue going strong. I think people who have had back experiences with this or any car did not do their homework or mechanic check before buying

Fuel efficiency. Fun to drive

Window motors are horrible!! How did this not get fixed by a recall or something. Motor mount broken, I have never heard of this happening!

Little Issues but still runs.....
By Robert

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my uncle that originally got it from my grandma. I dont know what he did to it but he got tired of tryin to fix the car so he gave it to me. All it needed was a new waterpump. I also put in a new thermostast and got the radiator flushed with it. All i really need to do is get my two front door motors and regulaters replaced and my a/c, but this car drove tho, Spite its little flaws it still drove, and cranked. Now at 104,998 it runs great just got to put in the windows and a/c, and i may need to change the radiator soon too. Cuz it does get a little hot in the summer, but then again i had to change the temperature senor cuz it was'nt reading right so i may not.

Runs great, it also does good on the highway and body is still in good condition. Good gas mileage and factory speakers sound pretty good!

Better cooling system, mine ran hot alot, not that it overheated but just ran hot(maybe its normal) Also improve the seat and window quality it was fadin out and front two windows stoped working....

'96 Grand Am GT
By Daniel

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan GT 4dr Sedan

This is my first car, and it's certainly fun to drive, but it has some issues. Window motors are absolutely terrible, had to replace the driver's side and will likely need to replace passenger's soon. Several other minor issues, adding up to ~$600 in repair bills in a year.

Red gauges, perky 4 cylinder, turning / performance

Brakes need to last longer, fix the issues with the water pump - I am not looking forward to having to replace it. Replace the window motors, interior is cheap, just more quality.

Love the car hate the gas
By stillarebel31

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

Where is it going? The gas, one minute i can fill my tank on $40.00. 3 days later I am on E. Not happy where is it all going? I am sure not hotrodding it cant afford to go out much or drive all over ) just go to work and back. and i had over a 1/2 tank this afternoon same day i have quarter of a tank... my only problem is the power steering hose and the gas the GAS where is it going... My boyfriend is a mechanic I bought the car from a mechanic and i am getting mad. that i can't keep gas in this car,

everything but the gas

GAS GAS GAS GAS it goes bye bye way too fast and the serpentine belt is a pain to change.

BAD
By custom man

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Sedan SE 4dr Sedan

I've had the car for almost 2 years, it is a 5 speed and i luv the car to death, i've had problems all the time but nothing to major all the time. i've replaced the tranny and clutch once and it ran amazingly since. I street race the car, i have a custom exhaust on it, custom intake, and a lot of interior work do to it. they come with the Z24 racing engine (stock 150 HP) since all my mods i have figured that the car has about 185 hp now and amazing take off and torque. i have a lot of corners around here and the car cornered well before hand but now i have replace all the control arms, sway bar mounts, tie rod boots, and end links and the car is amazing at cornering now. All in all i luv the car.

the sound of the engine with a can on it is amazing it has the deep throaty bubbling sound, it doesn't have the farting bee sound to it.

really no improvements i think, maybe make the firewall more accessible so the the amps battery wore can go through the fire wall. and make the engine a little bit more open to give it as much power as possible stock then the next owner con improve it more.