1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
AMAZINGG!
By grandamgtlover on 11/15/11 10:32 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This car is AMAZING!! I painted it and it looks like a race car! my car is so fast! I have a cold air intake and dc sports racing exhaust with a cat back. It sounds great. I run a 11 second 1/2 mile! It tops about 105 due to rev reduction. Trans spinns great!

Reliable Sport Compact.
By MATT on 02/19/10 10:27 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Gets reasonable mileage, Fun to drive, Sporty if outdated styling.all the original options work including the cruise control.

every pennies worth
By Bryan Mirzaian on 01/11/10 22:13 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

My dad bought me this car 10 years ago for little more than $6k with 67k on the odo. 10 years later,I still (hard) drive it daily with over 200k miles. @ 178k pulled a 16.07 sec 1/2 mile having less than $180 in performance parts,& that was with almost a half sec crap start! I use full syn oil, changed timely,& replace the usual parts when they fail. Parts failure is inevitable with any car, its the nature of the beast! But have never had to crack the motor open & thats the more pertinent point. Cost of ownership has been very low.My quad4 motor began smoking V6 GA`s with a $25 cone filter, so not sure why one would choose the heavier V6 that has more moving parts to potentially fail.

GREAT COLLEGE CAR
By Mark Pellicane on 12/15/09 01:44 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

why is this car rated for 23mpg??? it all depends on how you drive, i average between 27-32 mpg. my parents bought this car when my sister went to college in 2002, it had 55,000 miles on it. i have since bought it from her and not attend college, the car just rolled over 170,000 miles and still averages between 27-32mpg, very reliable and still runs great, friends in their new cobalts and ford rangers race me and are left in the dust. the 2.4L engine runs great and doesn't burn a drop of oil. ALL parts for this car are very cheap. yeah the window motors stink but this car is 13 years old what do you expect???

RELIABLE
By MATT on 06/23/09 08:12 AM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Very reliable, takes a lot of abuse.Underated and under appreciated. Gas mileage is a little dissapointing.

Commuter Car
By Mark on 02/28/09 12:23 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Bought this car from my sister with 140,000 on it, it currently has 155,000 on it and runs great. I drive to school 30 miles every day and 40 miles to work on the weekends. Going 60-65mph on highways and taking it easy in town i am getting 28-31mph consistently. I can go from 300-350 miles on a tank of gas..i have NEVER been able to get more than 12.5g of gas in the car even with the gas light on, great on gas if babied and not bad looking for the year/price

My Review
By ChrisGAGT96 on 01/07/09 12:44 PM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

After having this car for a little over a year, I find that it can get some attention with the right mind put into it. Although where the car does lack the edge most of the same year cars in this year range have, It still has a kick to it like no other. The Sporty appearance of the 2 door GT is very noticable; mix in a 5-spd and 2.4l, and you have yourself a combo. As far as performance parts go, there are really none available, which is sad because the engine is a sound one. For the daily driver this care is a phenom, great gas mileage, and hopefully minimal problems make it great for point A. to B. driving.

Minor problems..
By bond7 on 04/22/08 19:42 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

i bought this car after i flipped my Saturn. Right after we bought it (from a private seller mind you) the passenger seat stopped sliding forward/backwards (no big deal though), then the driver's side power window motor went out (no big deal), replaced brakes and December of '06 replaced all four tires.. now (04/08) replaced 3 wheel bearings, front brakes, rotor, and belt in the motor.. also, the exhaust was starting to fall off so got that welded back on.. I know it sounds like I'm complaining, but I'm actually satisfied that the car is 12 years old and hasn't had Major motor problems.. I'm only the second owner of the car but I like to drive fast/hard so that could account for some wear/tear!

Don't buy this car
By wgowern on 06/29/05 15:04 PM (PDT)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

My car had 3 recalls. The dealer didn't have the parts for one of them & I had to come back. The car failed less than a week after purchase(new). It was an electrical failure in the steering column. It was fixed and the same failure occurred less than a week later. There was several other failures (mostly electrical) over the 7 years I owned this car. Most of the plastic parts cracked or fell off,the dash panel cracked & the mirror fell off. Finally the computer failed and various other electrical components burned up (real smoke). The car repairs would have been much more than the car was worth so it went to a junkyard at 37000 miles. In a word it was a pile of junk.

Decent Car, has some repairs
By tito12384 on 11/12/04 10:27 AM (PST)

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

This car was pretty good to me. Bought it off my brother with 97k, who bought it 2 years before with 70k. Overall was a great looking car until I totalled it (just over 104k). When I bought it, I had to replace the fuel tank, which had a leak. Then found a rusted hole in the firewall, which was a pain to fix. Never had electrical problems. My brother had to replace the fuel injectors shortly after he bought it, and ever since then it kind of hesitated when first started. After about a minute it was fine. Has good acceleration for a 4 cyl. Fun to drive. The ets button definately needs to be in a better place, very easy to hit with either hand or knee.