Used 1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

AMAZINGG!
By grandamgtlover

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

This car is AMAZING!! I painted it and it looks like a race car! my car is so fast! I have a cold air intake and dc sports racing exhaust with a cat back. It sounds great. I run a 11 second 1/2 mile! It tops about 105 due to rev reduction. Trans spinns great!

Paint! I like the massage feature at 55 when my tires are about to fall off.

Black with green rims and stripes! looks great

Reliable Sport Compact.
By MATT

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Gets reasonable mileage, Fun to drive, Sporty if outdated styling.all the original options work including the cruise control.

cruise control,power,styling.

more comfortable seats.power mirrors.

every pennies worth
By Bryan Mirzaian

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

My dad bought me this car 10 years ago for little more than $6k with 67k on the odo. 10 years later,I still (hard) drive it daily with over 200k miles. @ 178k pulled a 16.07 sec 1/2 mile having less than $180 in performance parts,& that was with almost a half sec crap start! I use full syn oil, changed timely,& replace the usual parts when they fail. Parts failure is inevitable with any car, its the nature of the beast! But have never had to crack the motor open & thats the more pertinent point. Cost of ownership has been very low.My quad4 motor began smoking V6 GA`s with a $25 cone filter, so not sure why one would choose the heavier V6 that has more moving parts to potentially fail.

5 spd transaxle, simple & comfortable interior,(though a bit unconventional)a strong engine layout whose components are fairly assessable. ABS braking is impressive.

Battery relocation to the trunk frees up underhood space for cool air intake modification. Flowmaster Delta40 muffler provides good note & flow. swapping rear brake drums for disk would be nice. Shortened shift lever with a B&M T-handle for fast shifts. Seafoam helps to loosen sticky valves.

GREAT COLLEGE CAR
By Mark Pellicane

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

why is this car rated for 23mpg??? it all depends on how you drive, i average between 27-32 mpg. my parents bought this car when my sister went to college in 2002, it had 55,000 miles on it. i have since bought it from her and not attend college, the car just rolled over 170,000 miles and still averages between 27-32mpg, very reliable and still runs great, friends in their new cobalts and ford rangers race me and are left in the dust. the 2.4L engine runs great and doesn't burn a drop of oil. ALL parts for this car are very cheap. yeah the window motors stink but this car is 13 years old what do you expect???

27-32MPG

all GM cars in the mid-late 90's had crappy window motors and door panels. for the price don't complain

RELIABLE
By MATT

1996 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

Very reliable, takes a lot of abuse.Underated and under appreciated. Gas mileage is a little dissapointing.

Accelaration, quitness,styling.

Interior build quality.Strut brace should be standard equipment on se and gt models.