1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

AMAZINGG!
By grandamgtlover

1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

This car is AMAZING!! I painted it and it looks like a race car! my car is so fast! I have a cold air intake and dc sports racing exhaust with a cat back. It sounds great. I run a 11 second 1/2 mile! It tops about 105 due to rev reduction. Trans spinns great!

Favorite Features

Paint! I like the massage feature at 55 when my tires are about to fall off.

Suggested Improvements

Black with green rims and stripes! looks great

Decent for 13 year old car
By md

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car for $600 last January. I took it to a mechanic before buying it so that I would know there were not any major issues and what to be prepared for in the future. The transmission, motor (although it does need a new motor mount)and other major components seem to be doing well. In the past year I have had to replace the tie rods, CV joints ($500) heater core (300) and serpentine belt. I do not feel that this is to much work to put into an other wise reliable car for the cheap price I paid. I now have 188,000 miles and expect it to continue going strong. I think people who have had back experiences with this or any car did not do their homework or mechanic check before buying

Favorite Features

Fuel efficiency. Fun to drive

Suggested Improvements

Window motors are horrible!! How did this not get fixed by a recall or something. Motor mount broken, I have never heard of this happening!

Reliable Sport Compact.
By MATT

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Gets reasonable mileage, Fun to drive, Sporty if outdated styling.all the original options work including the cruise control.

Favorite Features

cruise control,power,styling.

Suggested Improvements

more comfortable seats.power mirrors.

Little Issues but still runs.....
By Robert

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car from my uncle that originally got it from my grandma. I dont know what he did to it but he got tired of tryin to fix the car so he gave it to me. All it needed was a new waterpump. I also put in a new thermostast and got the radiator flushed with it. All i really need to do is get my two front door motors and regulaters replaced and my a/c, but this car drove tho, Spite its little flaws it still drove, and cranked. Now at 104,998 it runs great just got to put in the windows and a/c, and i may need to change the radiator soon too. Cuz it does get a little hot in the summer, but then again i had to change the temperature senor cuz it was'nt reading right so i may not.

Favorite Features

Runs great, it also does good on the highway and body is still in good condition. Good gas mileage and factory speakers sound pretty good!

Suggested Improvements

Better cooling system, mine ran hot alot, not that it overheated but just ran hot(maybe its normal) Also improve the seat and window quality it was fadin out and front two windows stoped working....

every pennies worth
By Bryan Mirzaian

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

My dad bought me this car 10 years ago for little more than $6k with 67k on the odo. 10 years later,I still (hard) drive it daily with over 200k miles. @ 178k pulled a 16.07 sec 1/2 mile having less than $180 in performance parts,& that was with almost a half sec crap start! I use full syn oil, changed timely,& replace the usual parts when they fail. Parts failure is inevitable with any car, its the nature of the beast! But have never had to crack the motor open & thats the more pertinent point. Cost of ownership has been very low.My quad4 motor began smoking V6 GA`s with a $25 cone filter, so not sure why one would choose the heavier V6 that has more moving parts to potentially fail.

Favorite Features

5 spd transaxle, simple & comfortable interior,(though a bit unconventional)a strong engine layout whose components are fairly assessable. ABS braking is impressive.

Suggested Improvements

Battery relocation to the trunk frees up underhood space for cool air intake modification. Flowmaster Delta40 muffler provides good note & flow. swapping rear brake drums for disk would be nice. Shortened shift lever with a B&M T-handle for fast shifts. Seafoam helps to loosen sticky valves.

GREAT COLLEGE CAR
By Mark Pellicane

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

why is this car rated for 23mpg??? it all depends on how you drive, i average between 27-32 mpg. my parents bought this car when my sister went to college in 2002, it had 55,000 miles on it. i have since bought it from her and not attend college, the car just rolled over 170,000 miles and still averages between 27-32mpg, very reliable and still runs great, friends in their new cobalts and ford rangers race me and are left in the dust. the 2.4L engine runs great and doesn't burn a drop of oil. ALL parts for this car are very cheap. yeah the window motors stink but this car is 13 years old what do you expect???

Favorite Features

27-32MPG

Suggested Improvements

all GM cars in the mid-late 90's had crappy window motors and door panels. for the price don't complain

RELIABLE
By MATT

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Very reliable, takes a lot of abuse.Underated and under appreciated. Gas mileage is a little dissapointing.

Favorite Features

Accelaration, quitness,styling.

Suggested Improvements

Interior build quality.Strut brace should be standard equipment on se and gt models.

Commuter Car
By Mark

1996 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Bought this car from my sister with 140,000 on it, it currently has 155,000 on it and runs great. I drive to school 30 miles every day and 40 miles to work on the weekends. Going 60-65mph on highways and taking it easy in town i am getting 28-31mph consistently. I can go from 300-350 miles on a tank of gas..i have NEVER been able to get more than 12.5g of gas in the car even with the gas light on, great on gas if babied and not bad looking for the year/price

My Review
By ChrisGAGT96

1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

After having this car for a little over a year, I find that it can get some attention with the right mind put into it. Although where the car does lack the edge most of the same year cars in this year range have, It still has a kick to it like no other. The Sporty appearance of the 2 door GT is very noticable; mix in a 5-spd and 2.4l, and you have yourself a combo. As far as performance parts go, there are really none available, which is sad because the engine is a sound one. For the daily driver this care is a phenom, great gas mileage, and hopefully minimal problems make it great for point A. to B. driving.

Favorite Features

Sporty appearence. Comfortable bucket seats, 5-speed, lots of room for us tall people, and a get up and go engine.

Suggested Improvements

Few rattles and squeaking, Cam set up make it almost impossible to tune this car, lack of engine compartment space, Nearly nothing in the line of performance parts, And tacky cloth fabric

'96 Grand Am GT
By Daniel

1996 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

This is my first car, and it's certainly fun to drive, but it has some issues. Window motors are absolutely terrible, had to replace the driver's side and will likely need to replace passenger's soon. Several other minor issues, adding up to ~$600 in repair bills in a year.

Favorite Features

Red gauges, perky 4 cylinder, turning / performance

Suggested Improvements

Brakes need to last longer, fix the issues with the water pump - I am not looking forward to having to replace it. Replace the window motors, interior is cheap, just more quality.