1995 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Reliable fun car for the price
By luckyintx on 07/20/12 23:15 PM (PDT)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

my 1995 Grand Am was bought brand new 09/95. The olive green metallic color was beautiful, still havent found a car with that nice a shade of green. Overall the car was used to go back and worth 30 minutes on highway miles to work. went many long distance vacations in it ( above 400-500 miles) 2-3 times a year. The only major problem that the car ever had was the overheating problem that this car does seem to incur a lot I've noticed. But mechanically it never gave me any other problems. admitting the car was ugly without the spoiler, I loved it Changed oil every 3K, kept it clean, and ended up having it 7 years at 168,000 miles. One of the best vehicles I have had, still miss it!

Well worth my money
By PoNtIaCHeart on 11/10/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Was a great car that I enjoyed owning for 12 years. I bought it many years back and it was only my 3rd car I have ever owned. $8000 was the selling price with 81000 miles on it. I hung up the keys finally (but regrettably) last week. I had not payed attention to the coolant level, and with an aluminum block in a quad 4, you never want to overheat it. unfortunately I blew a head gasket. This car has been the best thing I have owned and, if treated right, would be an excellent car for a daily driver.

Maintain and Gain
By jjgalla on 01/05/10 09:54 AM (PST)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased as 2nd owner.I have had a few items that were a pain,no car is perfect but I maintain my cars and 105000 miles is current.I did have water from the cowling area and it took time to find it.Normal use items of discs,pads,shoes expected.Always O,L,filter@ 4000mi.Replaced carpet@ 10/09,fuellines,filter@12/09.Windshield and driver window regulator 01/2010. It is great in snow,quick at highway entry, rides steady for shorter wheelbase legnth. I hope to make 200,000 miles.

over 200,000 miles and still going..
By satisified owner on 10/03/09 06:22 AM (PDT)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in '94 drove it until I bought another new car in 2007. Sold it with 159,000 miles on it to a young lady who drives to college, it now has over 200,000 miles and still gong strong. It had very few problems while I had it and she has had some minor work done in the last two years. I would have bought a new Grand Am if they were still being made.

Worst car I've owned.
By P on 06/03/09 11:51 AM (PDT)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Bought used with a little over 80K miles on it. Has had nothing but problem after problem since the week I got it. Needed to be in the shop for something at least every other month, at times it would be every 3-4 weeks. Had at least 4 different problems at various times that caused the engine to over heat. Transmission has needed to be replaced, now needs a new head gasket along with some other issues. If not for a used car warranty we'd have payed double what the car is worth for all the repairs, as it is the out of pocket repairs cost about the car price over the last 2 years. The plastic inside the car rattles loudly when driving over 40 mph. Horrible car, I will never own a Pontiac again

Age equals money pit
By mrtgman on 02/04/09 16:25 PM (PST)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I am a GM fan. I purchased this car with 95,000 well maintained miles. On the positive, engine started every time in sub-zero weather. Otherwise, I never owned a car that has cost me so much in repairs. I have replaced, A/C compressor due to bad clutch, but now evaporator leaks. Steering rack blew a seal, intake maniford gasket replaced, heater core replaced, 2 motor mounts replaced, exhaust system, power window motor and recently, replacement of belt tensioner of which pulley froze. All these repairs within 15,000 miles and a year and a half. I've owned many GM vehicles and expect maintainence repairs, but will never buy or recommend another Grand Am.

It's been a champ
By PstarD on 12/05/08 16:49 PM (PST)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

So let me begin this by saying that I love this car. This car has been in my family for 12 years. This is my first car which my father gave to me when I turned 16. He bought it used and the person before him beat on this car. Over the years my father has put a lot of miles over it due to traveling a lot for work and also going through the long Chicago winters doesn't help the car, but let me tell you this car was always reliable. It's had minor breakdowns like belts breaking but nothing major. The car has over 200,000 miles on it and it has had a lot of parts replaced due to maintenance. But after everything the car still runs like it's always ran.

No bad for a third owner
By theskipman98 on 10/14/08 15:54 PM (PDT)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car from private owner at tax time for $900. Previous owner had already replaced the water pump before I got it, but had had no problems with the car other than that. (the key to it is DO NOT drive the car while it is overheating, that's why most people had problems with the Quad 4 motor) Since I have owned it, I have put a starter on it ($85 from auto zone lifetime warranty), tune up with air filter(less than $20), Front brake pads ($20), replaced all the speakers to match after market Pioneer XM/CD deck ($75 from Walmart for Rockford Fosgate) Car is not perfect BUT it gets from point A to point B quickly, with good handling, and get 32 MPG doing it.

1995 Pontiac Grand Am 4 Dr. GT Sedan
By Jess on 06/11/08 19:22 PM (PDT)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

Bought as my first car. It was ok for the first year. Then, things started going wrong. The first thing was my headlight switch broke. That was $130. Then the headlights went out. Another $100. Then the brakes needed replaced. So there went another $80. The windshield ALWAYS leaks when it rains and my floor always looks like a lake. The transmission started slipping. Everything leaks (i.e. transmission fluid, oil). It overheats when i am idle. Now it needs a new booster for the brakes. And i always had problems with the ABS warning light. I will never have another!

Great Grand Am
By thestig on 03/29/07 11:03 AM (PDT)

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Bought the V6, automatic coupe as a lease-return in 1996. Has been very reliable, never left me stranded, no major issues. IMO, still one of the best looking cars out there! Good straight line performance. Door panels starting to crack around screws (hard plastic and -40C do not mix!), some rust starting around wheel wells. Starts in -40C weather without being plugged in (do not recommend!) Will hate to see it go, but the family is expanding so it's days are numbered!