Used 1995 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1995 Pontiac Grand-am - Consumer Reviews

1995 Pontiac Grand Am

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Reliable fun car for the price
By luckyintx

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

my 1995 Grand Am was bought brand new 09/95. The olive green metallic color was beautiful, still havent found a car with that nice a shade of green. Overall the car was used to go back and worth 30 minutes on highway miles to work. went many long distance vacations in it ( above 400-500 miles) 2-3 times a year. The only major problem that the car ever had was the overheating problem that this car does seem to incur a lot I've noticed. But mechanically it never gave me any other problems. admitting the car was ugly without the spoiler, I loved it Changed oil every 3K, kept it clean, and ended up having it 7 years at 168,000 miles. One of the best vehicles I have had, still miss it!

Favorite Features

The signature red backlighting, the spoiler, White pin stripe down the side, great gas mileage, steering tight, sporty get up and go too, and the pull out drink holders from the dash,

Suggested Improvements

Overheating issue, stereo wasnt anything to brag about, constantly had speaker probs ( might be my fault on that one lol_

Well worth my money
By PoNtIaCHeart

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Was a great car that I enjoyed owning for 12 years. I bought it many years back and it was only my 3rd car I have ever owned. $8000 was the selling price with 81000 miles on it. I hung up the keys finally (but regrettably) last week. I had not payed attention to the coolant level, and with an aluminum block in a quad 4, you never want to overheat it. unfortunately I blew a head gasket. This car has been the best thing I have owned and, if treated right, would be an excellent car for a daily driver.

Favorite Features

Comfortable seating, big trunk space, Nice paint colors, smooth shifting transmission, Quiet interior

Suggested Improvements

I like cruise and mine had none, cd player, but than again these were options you pay for. The carpet seemed to wear fast.

Maintain and Gain
By jjgalla

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased as 2nd owner.I have had a few items that were a pain,no car is perfect but I maintain my cars and 105000 miles is current.I did have water from the cowling area and it took time to find it.Normal use items of discs,pads,shoes expected.Always O,L,filter@ 4000mi.Replaced carpet@ 10/09,fuellines,filter@12/09.Windshield and driver window regulator 01/2010. It is great in snow,quick at highway entry, rides steady for shorter wheelbase legnth. I hope to make 200,000 miles.

Favorite Features

Stable handling, great in snow and rain.

Suggested Improvements

We cant do that now.

over 200,000 miles and still going..
By satisified owner

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new in '94 drove it until I bought another new car in 2007. Sold it with 159,000 miles on it to a young lady who drives to college, it now has over 200,000 miles and still gong strong. It had very few problems while I had it and she has had some minor work done in the last two years. I would have bought a new Grand Am if they were still being made.

Worst car I've owned.
By P

1995 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Bought used with a little over 80K miles on it. Has had nothing but problem after problem since the week I got it. Needed to be in the shop for something at least every other month, at times it would be every 3-4 weeks. Had at least 4 different problems at various times that caused the engine to over heat. Transmission has needed to be replaced, now needs a new head gasket along with some other issues. If not for a used car warranty we'd have payed double what the car is worth for all the repairs, as it is the out of pocket repairs cost about the car price over the last 2 years. The plastic inside the car rattles loudly when driving over 40 mph. Horrible car, I will never own a Pontiac again

Suggested Improvements

Make cars that will last over 80K miles. I've had ones that were fine with 175+K miles on them, to be falling apart at half that mileage is pathetic. I'm no car expert but engines don't seem to do so well when made out of plastic, which is a complaint our mechanic made more than once.