1994 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Hey the GT is great
By GT enforcer on 05/07/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT 4dr Sedan

I have to say my '94 Grand Am GT is great. I just bought it six months ago with 112,000 miles and I've put 15,000 miles on it with no major repairs, just brake rotors. I don't like the interior of the car. The cup holders are built into a fold down compartment above the glove box that bounces around on bumps, causing spills. Something in my dash rattles too. I don't like the power window buttons in the center console either. The V6 is awesome. I don't NEED any more power than I have, and I average 28 miles per gallon. The engine is a little shaky, especially at low RPMs. My fuel gauge doesn't work. Only minor design flaws. The car is definately worth what I paid for it though.

grand am.....
By sad ga on 04/20/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

i bought a 94 grand am for my first car. my mistake i made was buying a 4 cylinder ok some advice don't do what i did. for the size of the engine it should give out a little more power. and the gas mileage isn't that great. get a 6 cylinder gt not se.

A huge GM Goof
By ready to sell on 04/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

The engineers who designed the quad4 engine ought to have to pay the repair bills. Not only is it a costly engine to keep up, but with the design it is costly to get to other components to repair. Just replacing gaskets everytime you need a repair (such as a water pump) takes up a month's food allowance. Now I'm trying to decide to see if someone will trade it with needing a valve job or get it fixed and dump it on another poor soul. I usually like Pontiacs, but this one is definitely at the bottom of the barrel. A costly purchase when 75% of the purchase price is put into repairs with in 1 1/2 years.

Reliable
By grand am driver on 04/09/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

Had it for 7 years, no major repairs

A pretty darn good car
By clark on 03/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car with 27000 miles, now has over 100,000. Overall, it has been a good car and has been surprisingly reliable (of course regular preventive maintenance helps).

The horror
By pony t on 03/18/02 10:11 AM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

AltThough it's been over 3 years since I owned this car I had to warn others of its horrors. This was the worst, most unreliable car I have ever owned. I bought this car in 5/99 with 45k on it. I desperately needed a 2d car. I traded the car in in 10/99. In the 5 mos. I owned the car I put about 3k miles (mostly, it was in the shop) and $2500 worth of work into it before I decided to cut my losses. 1st, motor mounts went (not broken when I bought the car). 2d a/c went during the hottest summer in 10 years). Then power windows broke. Then a/c went again. Then the seats. Then the power steering. Then I traded it. Next up was the tranny.

This Car is Not Anyone Should Own
By ArrogantBurrito on 03/18/02 01:13 AM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this as my first car, I'm 16, this car has been nothing but problems. The 4 cylinder they put in this model, has to be the worst engine ever made. It delivers an entire laundry list of problems to you in a big expensive mechanic's bill. It doensn't give you much pick-up for such a big 4 cylinder engine, it being a 2.3 liter. This huge engine sucks gas and does get you around very far. It you buy any model coupe of this year, buy the GT. It's not worth getting a terrible engine and getting the same gas mileage you would get with a V6. My opinion stay away from this terrible accident that GM has created. I beg of you do not buy one it will be the worst choice you ever make.