Used 1994 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews - 58 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Good Car
By Cameo94

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with only 73000 miles in 05. Been very reliable, has never left me high and dry. Does have a small oil leak which I was told were loose bolts on the oil pan and needed to be tightened. Developed lifter noise last year from age but dosen't disappoint. The column went out and the wheel ended up in my lap one day but that was pretty cheap to fix. Other than that this car continues to perform excellent and I can't see myself getting rid of it. Very fun car to drive and it can withstand a beating and handle itself on rough dirt roads.

I adore the front seats! They are so comfortable and hug my body perfectly! Not to big but still roomy. Large trunk space.

As clever as it is to hide cup holders in the glove box drinks spill at every turn and bump. The doors on the coupe are big and heavy. I get amazing gas milage on the highway but in stop and go traffic-not so great. The backseats aren't comfty at all.

Reliable until it isnt
By jwill

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

This was my 1st car and I went out of my way to baby it. Bought it at 55k and had no problems until about 75k. The biggest issue I had was that the clamp that keeps the battery charged while driving would loosen and my car would die when you I would come to a stop. This happened about 10 times and I took it to several mechanics that never could seem to figure it out, so the dealer charged $2k and got it done. Traded this thing in for $500 and felt like I ripped the dealer off.

Looks, Hidden drug compartment

Since Pontiac is now officially done, I think GM has already done the car buying public a favor.

Why is my car leaking water?
By Bertie1

1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

This car has been the best car until recently, started to overheat fan wasn't running, fixed that, fixed sensor heat core dry, Water leaking into the driver's side, can't see it or feel it but floor gets flooded.

drives a great smooth ride and great on gas body in excellent condition except for some hail damage

Fix hail damage and find why water is leaking inside sometimes overheats but not since the fan is fixed I love this car but I don't like flooded water when driving

Good starter car
By Darla

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right before i went off to college in 2004 for about $1750. I just let it go a few days ago because it has a cracked head gasket which will be about $1000-1200 to fix- not worth it!!! But it lasted 5 years so I guess i got my money's worth in a way. But since having it I have gotten 2 water pumps replaced, a new radiator cap, a new belt, new brakes, new struts, a new battery, and a new alternator so it definitely gave me about 1 major mechanical problem a year. It also leaked oil. Also found out the hard way that the Low Fuel light doesn't work! Horrible gas mileage in my opinion, but could be because i never had a tune up. This car was always running hot!

pretty roomy inside. Nothing really, like i said was always waiting for the next big breakdown to happen.

Better air compressor-my floor was always wet! Power windows-driver side stopped working, and passenger window occasionally gets stuck. No more aluminum engines! Couldn't lock my doors after awhile because key stopped working on driver's side, and sometimes passenger side was stuck

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE
By Dustin

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

The car is very odd to drive in general. The power steering preforms well, but does not, by any means, give you a one finger driving experience. The car is considered a compact vehicular, however, I find that it tends to corner as if it were a heavy, mid-size vehicular instead. The V6 model has the power to get up and go, that's for sure! But to tell you the truth, I would have bought the Grand Am Quad Four if I had a choice about it.

The Grand Am SE in one of the quietest cars I have owned. My tires are almost balled and I can still hear the radio going down the interstate at 60MPH.

It could have used a much better factory suspension and higher quality break pads. I am going to replace both of the aforementioned parts very soon. All and all, I guess I can not complain much about the Grand Am. Mine has 147,690 miles on it and still starts every time I turn the key.