1994 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
good old car
By larry4250 on 01/24/12 15:19 PM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

When I bouught the car it was pretty rough, 193k miles, no AC, passenger power window not in working condition, very sticky ignition, motor mount rattle, leaky sun roof, headliner falling down,,,,,you name the problem and this car was probably suffering from it. I have drove this car for several months now and have invested several hundred dollars to make the needed improvements, and it is very clear that my car was simply not taken care of. it now has well over 205k miles on it and still going strong. cranks right up in the cold without hesitation, does not use any oil, and offers about 32 Hmpg. Over all its a good old car, fun to drive and does great on gas.

Why I'm keeping it!
By jot1 on 07/16/11 21:22 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Mine is a '94 Grand Am SE V6 sedan, automatic. I bought it less than two years ago with 236,000 mi. verified by CarFax. There were two prior owners. The interior and trunk are in showroom condition. There is no rust and the paint is original. I have had no problems, get 35 mpg and use no oil between changes. I cannot see buying a new car that has 4 cylinders or a V6 and gets the same or less mileage.

Grand Am SE
By amandasb on 06/21/10 20:55 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car when I turned 16. It made me through high school & I am now a senior in college, over three hours away from home. Had to replace head gaskets around 95,000, alternator at 120,000, muffler at 135,000, and radiator at 145,000, but other than that, this car has been AMAZING! My power windows aren't exactly functional- I now have a crank window on my driver's side due to replacing the motor so often, and the back windows never go down anymore, but other than that, I love this car. I also had the typical water in the front (due to faulty windshield replacement), and I use about a quart of oil in between changes. I'll be sad to get rid of this car- it's been nothing short of great!

Great Cat
By BirdieSeeker on 07/07/09 18:14 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

We bought this car new and it now has 240,000 miles on it. Never had any major problems other than AC and always gets around 35mpg with 5 speed manual and quad 4. Some rust started to show after 13 years over the rear wheels and had to replace radiator and cat. conv. recently. Have taken good care of it and it has taken good care of us.

Good Car
By Cameo94 on 05/20/09 15:24 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car with only 73000 miles in 05. Been very reliable, has never left me high and dry. Does have a small oil leak which I was told were loose bolts on the oil pan and needed to be tightened. Developed lifter noise last year from age but dosen't disappoint. The column went out and the wheel ended up in my lap one day but that was pretty cheap to fix. Other than that this car continues to perform excellent and I can't see myself getting rid of it. Very fun car to drive and it can withstand a beating and handle itself on rough dirt roads.

Reliable until it isnt
By jwill on 04/30/09 10:21 AM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

This was my 1st car and I went out of my way to baby it. Bought it at 55k and had no problems until about 75k. The biggest issue I had was that the clamp that keeps the battery charged while driving would loosen and my car would die when you I would come to a stop. This happened about 10 times and I took it to several mechanics that never could seem to figure it out, so the dealer charged $2k and got it done. Traded this thing in for $500 and felt like I ripped the dealer off.

Why is my car leaking water?
By Bertie1 on 08/21/08 13:05 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

This car has been the best car until recently, started to overheat fan wasn't running, fixed that, fixed sensor heat core dry, Water leaking into the driver's side, can't see it or feel it but floor gets flooded.

Good starter car
By Darla on 08/11/08 08:59 AM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car right before i went off to college in 2004 for about $1750. I just let it go a few days ago because it has a cracked head gasket which will be about $1000-1200 to fix- not worth it!!! But it lasted 5 years so I guess i got my money's worth in a way. But since having it I have gotten 2 water pumps replaced, a new radiator cap, a new belt, new brakes, new struts, a new battery, and a new alternator so it definitely gave me about 1 major mechanical problem a year. It also leaked oil. Also found out the hard way that the Low Fuel light doesn't work! Horrible gas mileage in my opinion, but could be because i never had a tune up. This car was always running hot!

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE
By Dustin on 11/19/07 17:36 PM (PST)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

The car is very odd to drive in general. The power steering preforms well, but does not, by any means, give you a one finger driving experience. The car is considered a compact vehicular, however, I find that it tends to corner as if it were a heavy, mid-size vehicular instead. The V6 model has the power to get up and go, that's for sure! But to tell you the truth, I would have bought the Grand Am Quad Four if I had a choice about it.

Gets from A to B....but not without a scare!
By Ladylx on 09/11/07 15:03 PM (PDT)

1994 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Okay, I bought this car for $900 with 85k on it...a steal right?...yes, but just like ma says.."you get what you pay for". This car scares the hell out of me sometimes. There is obviously a problem with the cylinders that causes them to work twice as hard as they should and I'm almost positive the engine has an oil leak in it, which from what I hear Pontiac had problems with on this model in the past. The engine is strong and the car always starts but not without scary sounds from the "grinding" transmission....It's horrible...you can hear every gear! Mine also has a swaybar problem that causes the car to bounce all over the place. The only time it really smooths out is on the expressway!.