Used 1993 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Good first car
By abdb1242

1993 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I was 16 and it was an awesome first car. As long as I kept up on the maintenance, it did just fine. It was a pain to work on because everything under the hood was so crammed together (something quick and easy like changing a headlight turns into 30 minutes of frustration because you can't get your hands down in there). I got a new car after the a/c went out (it's beyond repair) and passed this one on to my little brother. It now has 176,000 miles and still running great.

fun to drive, take off speed, good design and fuel economy for its age

the cup holders in the front (the hinges on mine got a little week and if you hit a big bump everything went flying), more space under the hood (maybe the 4 cylinder is better), better shocks

Still going after shoulda been dead
By Gil

1993 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe GT 2dr Coupe

My car has 211000 miles on it and the only things that are wrong with it are that people just like to hit my car. The engine is still running smoothly. All I've had to do is change the oil regularly, change the spark plugs, and change out a faulty alternator

It's a peppy little car for the 400 I paid for it

A working radio. Someone kicked mine in and broke the antenna off

lemon
By victoria

1993 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I had nothing but trouble with this car. one thing after another, i will say this is longest i went without problem but dont leave this tiny town and don't go more than 3 miles away now. labor on this car is high. My daughter had one with problems and my niece.. but not sure about her experience with it cause she wrecked hers....anyway, mine either blew head gaskets day i got it or they already were. I had a lot of overheating problems. i may have gotten an abused car or bad one i dont know but won't ever own another.thanks. and good luck!

look of the car.

motor, overheating? cheaper labor? easier access to fix.

I love GM!!!
By Big Jim Crimeboss

1993 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

After I crashed my 95 t-bird I was hard up for a new car. I needed something that had stlye but I was broke. So I got a 93 GA with only 69,000 miles on it for only $1400! I thought it was a steal considering it handled far much better than the rear-drive ford ecspecialy since i live in ILL with that horrible weather 9 months out of the year!! The MPG is excellent around 30! But reliablity was not a good as my last car though, at 92000 I needed a new cylinder head, later i needed a heater core and at 132000 i needed a new ignition and computer oh and a radiator. Today with 134000 it runs good as i bought it with just a little tiny problem with my fuel ingection.Iluv the cheak oil light!!

The cup-holders are the best. They're out of the way but sturdy for reckless driving. Big fan of the three-speed auto, it allows smooth torgue without unnecesary noise and wide powerbands for a great smooth flow down the road. and that low-coolent light as saved my baby countless times.

You can't have an aluminum cylinder head mounted on an iron block. C'mon GM find another way to cut costs without sacrifcing reliabilty!! Should have made V6 standard! and wider tires, too.

1993 Grand AM Review
By Jim Katso

1993 Pontiac Grand Am Coupe SE 2dr Coupe

I got a 1993 as my first car out of college. I liked the looks, but would not recommend this as a used car. I kept a detailed log of my repairs and got rid of the car at about 100,000 miles. My first big problem is during heavy rains, a giant puddle would appear on the passenger floor (hard to believe, but true). Also, the "check engine" came on, but multiple mechanics could never fix it...so it always was on...never a comfortable feeling before long road trips. Also had problems with the head gasket, transmission, and heater.Overall, it was frustrating as I kept the car very clean, but couldn't trust it. After 16 years driving GM, I will not by another.

The 93 Grand AM SE had nice lines as it didn't have the excess body molding. I like the spoiler, rims, and radio.

Quality initiative to drive out problems.

• SUV