Used 1993 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Good first car
By abdb1242

1993 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I was 16 and it was an awesome first car. As long as I kept up on the maintenance, it did just fine. It was a pain to work on because everything under the hood was so crammed together (something quick and easy like changing a headlight turns into 30 minutes of frustration because you can't get your hands down in there). I got a new car after the a/c went out (it's beyond repair) and passed this one on to my little brother. It now has 176,000 miles and still running great.

Favorite Features

fun to drive, take off speed, good design and fuel economy for its age

Suggested Improvements

the cup holders in the front (the hinges on mine got a little week and if you hit a big bump everything went flying), more space under the hood (maybe the 4 cylinder is better), better shocks

Hunk of junk
By worst pontiac ever

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Thee car was nice and solid ride engine and trans were strong then little by little everything started to go bad fuel pump coils water pump ( located between the exhaust manifold and the block ( if that tells you anything) now all mounts decided to go out almost forgot the ignition control module front suspension shot out the ac went out in less than 3 months and the car had only 116k miles put it like this the trans out lasted the car

Favorite Features

favorite features let me see if i can come up with 1 well i gotta say the trans ( but not to thrilled bout it)

Suggested Improvements

take it off the market

Still going after shoulda been dead
By Gil

1993 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

My car has 211000 miles on it and the only things that are wrong with it are that people just like to hit my car. The engine is still running smoothly. All I've had to do is change the oil regularly, change the spark plugs, and change out a faulty alternator

Favorite Features

It's a peppy little car for the 400 I paid for it

Suggested Improvements

A working radio. Someone kicked mine in and broke the antenna off

Piece Of Junk!
By Kris07

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Grand Am 3 years ago. Everything started falling apart at only 107,000 miles! Repairs: rotors, brakes, front struts, shocks, engine overheating and faulty cooling fan! This is unacceptable for a "piece of junk" with such low miles! I would not recommend ANY year Pontiac Grand Am even to my worst enemy! Very, very poor build quality and a big zero for engine or anything reliability!

Favorite Features

Exterior body design, excellent quality paint, very comfy seating all around and interior layout design.

Suggested Improvements

Everything except what I mentioned above! Oh, a major improvement would be to stop making them altogether or recall all of them and get all the bugs out!!!

Junkyard Grand Am
By Disgusted Buyer

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

This car belongs in a junkyard or I will personally drive it off a very steep cliff myself!! I bought this car about 2 years ago and here's the condition it was in: Barely any brake pad lining left on the front, rotors were warped beyond belief (for some reason these Grand Ams eat brakes like there's no tomorrow), severe steering problems, it overheated on the way home (of course, not on the test drive!), a power-steering fluid leak and at a 4-way stop, it just shut off on its own!!! I bought it to put a few repairs into it, the low miles on it (107,000) and the nice exterior and interior design which I find very attractive on these "cars". I do not recommend this garbage to anyone!

Favorite Features

The exterior design on these cars is absolutely beautiful. Nice shiny paint. It looks new even when it's not washed or waxed! I love the interior layout on the dashboard and the color of the orange dash lights! Very comfy seats, front and back, and radio controls on the steering wheel are cool!

Suggested Improvements

Wider tires, better quality brakes and rotors, more durable radiator and clean out these head gasket and overheating problems with the 4 AND V- 6 motors! Fix these junk 4 cylinder motors! I owned the V-6 engine and they're supposed to have better engines! Get with the program, Pontiac!