1993 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Good first car
By abdb1242 on 08/17/10 07:36 AM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I bought this car when I was 16 and it was an awesome first car. As long as I kept up on the maintenance, it did just fine. It was a pain to work on because everything under the hood was so crammed together (something quick and easy like changing a headlight turns into 30 minutes of frustration because you can't get your hands down in there). I got a new car after the a/c went out (it's beyond repair) and passed this one on to my little brother. It now has 176,000 miles and still running great.

Hunk of junk
By worst pontiac ever on 05/31/10 09:09 AM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Thee car was nice and solid ride engine and trans were strong then little by little everything started to go bad fuel pump coils water pump ( located between the exhaust manifold and the block ( if that tells you anything) now all mounts decided to go out almost forgot the ignition control module front suspension shot out the ac went out in less than 3 months and the car had only 116k miles put it like this the trans out lasted the car

Still going after shoulda been dead
By Gil on 11/13/08 16:25 PM (PST)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

My car has 211000 miles on it and the only things that are wrong with it are that people just like to hit my car. The engine is still running smoothly. All I've had to do is change the oil regularly, change the spark plugs, and change out a faulty alternator

Piece Of Junk!
By Kris07 on 09/28/07 15:33 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Grand Am 3 years ago. Everything started falling apart at only 107,000 miles! Repairs: rotors, brakes, front struts, shocks, engine overheating and faulty cooling fan! This is unacceptable for a "piece of junk" with such low miles! I would not recommend ANY year Pontiac Grand Am even to my worst enemy! Very, very poor build quality and a big zero for engine or anything reliability!

Junkyard Grand Am
By Disgusted Buyer on 06/11/07 14:15 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

This car belongs in a junkyard or I will personally drive it off a very steep cliff myself!! I bought this car about 2 years ago and here's the condition it was in: Barely any brake pad lining left on the front, rotors were warped beyond belief (for some reason these Grand Ams eat brakes like there's no tomorrow), severe steering problems, it overheated on the way home (of course, not on the test drive!), a power-steering fluid leak and at a 4-way stop, it just shut off on its own!!! I bought it to put a few repairs into it, the low miles on it (107,000) and the nice exterior and interior design which I find very attractive on these "cars". I do not recommend this garbage to anyone!

pieceoftrash
By never ever again!!! on 10/18/06 22:01 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I was very disappointed that such a beautiful-looking car (inside too) could be the worst nightmare of my life. Not even 2 days after it was purchased, all problems occurred. After 100K miles, everything is programmed to fall apart. First, P realized the rotors were worn so thin, the car was very unsafe. Same with front/rear brakes. Car was shaking (steering wheel) like crazy! Had hardly any tread on 2 front tires, car actually shut off at a 4-way stop! That's scary. I thank God my boyfriend was right behind me, trying to figure this out! Then, battery went (twice), car started running (overheating in red zone) very hot. No heat in car! Bad heater core. No more Grand Ams ever!!!

lemon
By victoria on 08/16/06 21:01 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I had nothing but trouble with this car. one thing after another, i will say this is longest i went without problem but dont leave this tiny town and don't go more than 3 miles away now. labor on this car is high. My daughter had one with problems and my niece.. but not sure about her experience with it cause she wrecked hers....anyway, mine either blew head gaskets day i got it or they already were. I had a lot of overheating problems. i may have gotten an abused car or bad one i dont know but won't ever own another.thanks. and good luck!

Been good to me
By Veda Hogue on 07/24/05 21:34 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I got my car in 1999 and have loved it since. Minor things here and there, but I have always been able to count on it. Now it is reaching 170,000 miles and it is reaching its end. I have loved this car, it has GREAT get up and go power. But I don't think it was made to go alot of miles.

I love GM!!!
By Big Jim Crimeboss on 05/21/05 02:40 AM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

After I crashed my 95 t-bird I was hard up for a new car. I needed something that had stlye but I was broke. So I got a 93 GA with only 69,000 miles on it for only $1400! I thought it was a steal considering it handled far much better than the rear-drive ford ecspecialy since i live in ILL with that horrible weather 9 months out of the year!! The MPG is excellent around 30! But reliablity was not a good as my last car though, at 92000 I needed a new cylinder head, later i needed a heater core and at 132000 i needed a new ignition and computer oh and a radiator. Today with 134000 it runs good as i bought it with just a little tiny problem with my fuel ingection.Iluv the cheak oil light!!

Hope You Like to Spend Money
By Heather on 04/18/05 15:10 PM (PDT)

1993 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I got this car as a graduation present in 2002. It came with 70,000 miles on it. It now has 114,000 miles and its sitting in my driveway - practically dead. SO many things have gone wrong with it over the years. New alternator, new window opener thing, new muffler, new rotars/brake pads, those are just the repairs I can remember. Right now the brake system is failed, there is something wrong with the fuel injector, and it smells really bad after I drive it. Maybe newer Grand Ams are okay, but this thing has been nothing but a burden to me. I wouldnt recommend getting one with high mileage. Its just not worth it.