Used 1992 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Money eater...
By shadowdolphin96

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Ok I had the car for 1 year before all the chaos started. I ended up replacing for starters the alternator about 6 times in one year. I also replaced the battery, computer chip, radiator, water pump, had it tuned up twice in one year because it was missing/skipping (seemed like it would cut off)...did not run smooth. I was breaking down about every 3 months or so and the money spent on trying to maintain. it was unbelieveable, because every item replaced was impossible to get to. Probably will not own a pontiac again. Fixing this was very taxing...

very comfy, nice looking.

Make more reliable.

Wanda's Review
By Wanda

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Car has been good to us over the last 1 1/2 years. The steering is a little rough, and a little squeaky.

Great gas mileage, Great stereo system, sounds real good and works well.

Do not use the key fob. Many problems with it. Just easier to use the key. I don't like the fact that the car door locks automatically, when I get out of the car and when I get in the car. I have locked myself out quite a few times. Keep a spare key in your purse or pocket at all times.

Do not buy one of these
By Eric

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I have had absolutely no luck with any grand am i have owned two of them and poured money into both of them they are still worthless and are not reliable in any way shape or form I have kept up the maintenance on both of these cars and then have left me stranded dozens of times literally hours and hours from home not a good buy no matter how cheap you get it

none

lets see.... the radiator went out, which caused a blown head gasket the brakes have been changed four times, the struts have also, the linkages were bound (in the standard), the radiator still leaks for no reason and i have to put more fluid in than gass it seems

Engineering disaster
By artier

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

All is well, except the foundation. How can you enjoy the vehicle if it leaves you on the road side five to eight times a year. At 95k everything starts to break. Fuel pump, transmission, starter, alternator, transmission again, electrical system, ABS, and so on. What if it is actually an engineering miracle? - Cleverly designed to fall apart at around 100k. Some idiot engineer thought that then the consumer is going to buy another one. Never happens.

Driving, precise handling, power. Looks. Nicely equipped. Unbelievable highway gas mileage for 3.3L V6.

Improve reliability and do not think of cars as disposables.

Cheap buy.
By grandamboi

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I bought the car for $650.00. The people I bought it from lied about a lot of "work" they had done to the car. Brakes, and the cooling system. The brakes went a year after I got it and the radiator and water pump went about two weeks after I got it. Other than that Its been a great car. Always been a Pontiac Kid and will stay a Pontiac Kid. It has 173000 and still going strong!

Everything!

Window Regulators are way too weak.