1992 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
Greatest deal ever!!!
By b5clark on 03/05/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I bought this car for a great price and have had it for 80000 miles. It has been extraordinary and i have no complaints. I brought it in for a few minor repairs, which paid off in the end. Im now upgrading to a 98 grand am and can only hope for the same results.

Quad 4
By KNS04 on 08/24/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I bought my car from a friend. I've always wanted a grand am, and let me tell you I will never buy a pontiac every again. The day after I got the car it was leaking anti-freeze a week later i spent 300 more dollars for plugs, breaks, and other small repairs, now this week I found out I need new fuel injection and there is a small leak in the head gasket. This car was a waste of time and money. I suggest buying a V6.

92 Pont Grand Am - excellent 2nd car.
By Robert Scherrer on 08/02/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I have owened this car for over 8 years, purchased used in excellent condition. The car now has 100,400 miles on it, mostly local, stop & go driving. It is highly reliable. My most expensive repair was under $300 and very, very few repairs were ever required. The car still looks and performs like new. Absolutely no rust and the finish shines.

Love it!
By Jamie_Kahler on 07/12/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Extremely reliable. I bought it with 91,000 miles, and now it's up to 151,000, with only minor maintenance required. It needs a new fuel injector, new plugs and wires, but other than that, nothing fancy. I will admit, it's hard on alternators at times, as well as brakes. Also, the paint has blistered terribly, but I think this is either a recall issue, or a poor quality aftermarket job. Overall? Incredible, fun car! I love it!

Never buy a Grand am with the Quad 4
By Joe Marrapese on 06/21/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

In april of 2003 I turned 16 I started to look for cars. When I finally found a nice car i got it. It was in great condition with 120,000 miles. It was a 1992 Pontiac Grand am SE with the crappy quad 4, which I didnt now about at the time. I had it registered for 2 weeks, then the headgasket blew.Then I found out it's going to cost $1100 to fix.They definitally should have had a recall on the quad 4. Its a nice car with a bad motor, there very unreliable. After I get it fixed it's going up for sale. So if you ever get a Grand am please do the smart thing and get the V-6 (Like my cousin did).

Bad engine
By otterfluff on 05/20/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

It's a great car with an awful engine. The Quad 4 is infamously unreliable. Granted, it's a great engine when it's working, but since it's such a pain to work on, it gets expensive when something goes wrong. They're notorious for blowing head gaskets at around 120,000 miles. Mine is leaking, and it's currently at 130,000. It's about $1,100 if you just need a new head gasket, and about $2,400 if you need an all new head. Also, GM put iron rotors on the car, replace them with steel ones, and they'll be less likely to warp.

Grand Am
By Ohendo on 05/16/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Excellent vehicle. Has been reliable for over 7 years. Just now starting to give me problems. After 168000 miles, the transmission (original) is occasionally slipping. The radiator has developed a slight leak, and the power windows up front don't always work when you want them to. Engine is still purring like a kitten. Overall, a great buy. Many years of enjoyment and reliability.

92 Grand Am gt
By Joshy on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

This is a awesome car, if you ever get a chance to buy one of these cars, then definetly go for it! the 3.3 litre engines are the best and these cars are great on fuel!!!

Grand Am Gt
By Marky Mark on 05/08/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

This is a great car! I enjoy the ride it provides, the low maitanence engine, and the air conditioning! I think that this 3.3 litre V6 is a great motor which should not be taken for granted!! I would suggest this car for people that want one heck of a car!!

was nice at start
By sparklebean on 04/22/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

bought car new in 92'. It works fine now because every part of the Quad 4 engine has been replaced. The computer chip has gone out, new engine, alternator, torque converter, etc... It's got about 140,000 miles on it now, and we're looking to buy a new car b/c the repairs are costing more than what it's worth!!