1992 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
3300 engine. Great Experience, first car
By afrodave on 12/22/10 05:40 AM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I was given this car for my 16th birthday in the early 2000s. when I got it it had around 75,000 miles on it and I drove it up to 130,000. Car has been a great car, no major repairs needed. I have been in 3 or more low speed accidents with it and it has kept me safe and keeps on rolling. Gas mileage was around 26mpg averaging highway and city together. I kept up on maintenance and oil changes and the car have been great!

Won't give up
By Hangin In on 08/16/07 21:59 PM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

If you don't mind forking out $800 a year on maintenance you can keep it going for 235,000 or more. I commute (for 12 years) 28 miles each way (I know, I know, should move closer to work) & this car has never left me stranded (knock on wood. I drive in - 30 degrees F in the winter and have never had a problem. I guess I got lucky with this series of 4 cylinder engine. I run with synthetic oil. Hope it makes a difference. Engine burns no oil. Yes, be prepared to have your brakes replaced every couple of years or sooner.

Good car, minus annoyances
By Holtguy on 07/20/07 11:48 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

I bought this car about 3 years ago, it had 160,000 miles on it. Since then, no real problems other than an oxygen sensor went on me. It runs fine, gets pretty good mileage, and is reliable. The only problem are small things, like it leaks water when it rains, coins easily fall into the lighter and blow fuses, the front passenger door stopped opening, and my rearview mirror fell off at one point. It's annoying stuff, but hey the car runs.

good car
By james on 01/11/07 17:34 PM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I bought this car about 4 years ago and have had only minor trouble with it brakes, tires, etc. at 140,000 miles car is still in good condition. I have no regrets about purchasing this car

My good luck!
By john on 01/10/07 18:42 PM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2dr Coupe

I purchased this car new and have driven the wheels off it. I have changed the oil faithfully every 3000- 3500 miles. Other than a head gasket about every 160,000 miles,and routine brakes about every 70,000 miles I have had nothing but superb reliability. After 340,000 miles I still have original clutch, stater, master cyl, fuel pump, all signal and brake bulbs, air conditioning still functions as new. I wish all of my cars could have been this reliable. The only breakdowns I have had in all those miles is a failed crank sensor ,2 times.

Money eater...
By shadowdolphin96 on 07/19/06 07:55 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

Ok I had the car for 1 year before all the chaos started. I ended up replacing for starters the alternator about 6 times in one year. I also replaced the battery, computer chip, radiator, water pump, had it tuned up twice in one year because it was missing/skipping (seemed like it would cut off)...did not run smooth. I was breaking down about every 3 months or so and the money spent on trying to maintain. it was unbelieveable, because every item replaced was impossible to get to. Probably will not own a pontiac again. Fixing this was very taxing...

Wanda's Review
By Wanda on 04/15/06 12:35 PM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Car has been good to us over the last 1 1/2 years. The steering is a little rough, and a little squeaky.

Do not buy one of these
By Eric on 09/05/05 00:22 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I have had absolutely no luck with any grand am i have owned two of them and poured money into both of them they are still worthless and are not reliable in any way shape or form I have kept up the maintenance on both of these cars and then have left me stranded dozens of times literally hours and hours from home not a good buy no matter how cheap you get it

Engineering disaster
By artier on 01/22/05 15:44 PM (PST)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 4dr Sedan

All is well, except the foundation. How can you enjoy the vehicle if it leaves you on the road side five to eight times a year. At 95k everything starts to break. Fuel pump, transmission, starter, alternator, transmission again, electrical system, ABS, and so on. What if it is actually an engineering miracle? - Cleverly designed to fall apart at around 100k. Some idiot engineer thought that then the consumer is going to buy another one. Never happens.

Cheap buy.
By grandamboi on 07/05/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1992 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I bought the car for $650.00. The people I bought it from lied about a lot of "work" they had done to the car. Brakes, and the cooling system. The brakes went a year after I got it and the radiator and water pump went about two weeks after I got it. Other than that Its been a great car. Always been a Pontiac Kid and will stay a Pontiac Kid. It has 173000 and still going strong!