Used 1991 Pontiac Grand Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

An Economical Car that is not a shoebox
By smurfmobile

1991 Pontiac Grand Am 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1991 Grand Am for my son when it had 146,000 miles on it. There had been several previous owners. I bought it for him, but he gave it back to me. To resolve oil leaks, and running problems, I had the 2.5 L engine rebuilt. By the time I finished repairs, A/C, brake cylinders, paint, carpet, starter, Rt front wheel bearing, I was getting about 33 mpg on the highway (w/out AC on.) i had spent about $6,000. The car now has 235,000 miles on it, and the only problem is a slightly weak reverse gear. I'd rate the interior and exterior higher except for plastic, and poor trim. Oil filter hard to change w/out getting leaks, but the engine is all metal. No plastic manifold to crack!

Favorite Features

Front passenger seat moves forward all the way for rear access. Solid sheet metal wall between trunk and back seet for body strength and less noise. Radio can be lifted out through the front panel so that it may be serviced or upgraded by owner. Gauges are easy to read. Car is peppy enough that I don't need to stomp the pedal just to get on the freeway, or go up and down hill. Trunk is a large square box that stuff goes into and out of easily w/out getting stuck on the bottom of the back windshield. Cast aluminum wheels that are factory; thus not a thief magnet. Headlights are bright because headlight socket pod has a glass front on it, that doesn't get opaque with age.

Suggested Improvements

Better window moldings. Rear windows frames that are not plastic (cracks can happen!) Stronger and more sound console glove box. Side molding to prevent nicks. Snazzy molding just below belt line does not catch all door nicks -- especially from giant pickup trucks. Optional metal bumpers.

easy fix
By holtz

1991 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

I had the car for a year and a half. I bought the car with 104,000 and now have 144,000. I put a lot of mile on it. there are a few thins that I had to fix. I replaced the valve gasket twice, replaced the egr valve, alternator, overdrive sensor and battery. other than that just the normal maintenance.runs great. Paints coming off and is starting to rust. my average mpg is 20-23.

Favorite Features

has a good amount of power for a 4 cylinder

Suggested Improvements

They needed to have more cup holders. the cup holders in the glove apartment are useless, so the only one can use is between the two front seat. better gas mileage

great car
By holtz

1991 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

I have had the car for a year and a half.Had very little problems. changed the egr valve, valve cover gasket, alternator. but very easy to work on.

Favorite Features

great in any weather, easy to work on

Suggested Improvements

paint and clear coat

Great Car
By Louise

1991 Pontiac Grand Am 2dr Coupe

This car was purchased new and I still own it. It has 256,000 miles on it and still going. Had an electronic problem 3 yrs ago -cost $500 to fix. Only other problem has been the alternator-apparently a weak link. It goes out every 2-3 years. Have been replacing them with one from a junk yard because just how long can this car last. Now just keep a spare on hand. Radiator is now leaking so needs some work there. Easy to reach into back seat from the front while driving to retrieve those articles. East to see around when backing up. GM should make more of these cars. Also have a 04 Grand AM but it lacks some of these features.

Great Pontiac
By jjuhring

1991 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new in 1991 and had it for 10 years until 2001 when I got a new Ford Taurus SES. Ran great and was very reliable. Racked up a little over 200,000 miles. It was a 5-speed manual and only had to replace the clutch once. Engine and drivetrain were fantastic. Easily outperformed almost every car in the early 90's, and was very reliable mechanically. Unfortunately, it fell victim to low build quality in the body and interior.

Favorite Features

Powerful and efficient engine. Best handling front wheel drive car at the time. Over 30 mpg highway.

Suggested Improvements

Needed better overall build quality. Engine was a little rough at high rpm.