1991 Pontiac Grand Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:
An Economical Car that is not a shoebox
By smurfmobile on 04/12/13 17:36 PM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am 2dr Coupe

I bought my 1991 Grand Am for my son when it had 146,000 miles on it. There had been several previous owners. I bought it for him, but he gave it back to me. To resolve oil leaks, and running problems, I had the 2.5 L engine rebuilt. By the time I finished repairs, A/C, brake cylinders, paint, carpet, starter, Rt front wheel bearing, I was getting about 33 mpg on the highway (w/out AC on.) i had spent about $6,000. The car now has 235,000 miles on it, and the only problem is a slightly weak reverse gear. I'd rate the interior and exterior higher except for plastic, and poor trim. Oil filter hard to change w/out getting leaks, but the engine is all metal. No plastic manifold to crack!

easy fix
By holtz on 03/15/10 19:12 PM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

I had the car for a year and a half. I bought the car with 104,000 and now have 144,000. I put a lot of mile on it. there are a few thins that I had to fix. I replaced the valve gasket twice, replaced the egr valve, alternator, overdrive sensor and battery. other than that just the normal maintenance.runs great. Paints coming off and is starting to rust. my average mpg is 20-23.

great car
By holtz on 03/05/10 18:17 PM (PST)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

I have had the car for a year and a half.Had very little problems. changed the egr valve, valve cover gasket, alternator. but very easy to work on.

Great Car
By Louise on 09/11/09 05:37 AM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am 2dr Coupe

This car was purchased new and I still own it. It has 256,000 miles on it and still going. Had an electronic problem 3 yrs ago -cost $500 to fix. Only other problem has been the alternator-apparently a weak link. It goes out every 2-3 years. Have been replacing them with one from a junk yard because just how long can this car last. Now just keep a spare on hand. Radiator is now leaking so needs some work there. Easy to reach into back seat from the front while driving to retrieve those articles. East to see around when backing up. GM should make more of these cars. Also have a 04 Grand AM but it lacks some of these features.

Great Pontiac
By jjuhring on 09/10/07 19:44 PM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Bought the car new in 1991 and had it for 10 years until 2001 when I got a new Ford Taurus SES. Ran great and was very reliable. Racked up a little over 200,000 miles. It was a 5-speed manual and only had to replace the clutch once. Engine and drivetrain were fantastic. Easily outperformed almost every car in the early 90's, and was very reliable mechanically. Unfortunately, it fell victim to low build quality in the body and interior.

love it
By Adam on 03/03/07 01:29 AM (PST)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

I have owned this car for about two years now and it has been an absolute joy. Minus a few repairs (mostly electrical) it has run great since i got it... it was in bad shape when i bought it but still ran hwy speeds for a month or two before i could get it fixed... come to find out the ignition coil was bad and it had been running on only one cylinder! i was very impressed. currently at about 106k miles and still going strong. very peppy it has the mpg of a four cylinder and the power of a 6. all around good car, very reliable, great cold starter, took a deer hit with no more than a broken headlight. for the price it couldn't be beat!

Love It
By Airhead2006 on 10/25/05 17:24 PM (PDT)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am LE 4dr Sedan

I really like this car. I bought it a year ago with 104K and it now had 120K. It has never given me any trouble. The only thing i can complain about is the 2.5L doesn't have much power and the fenders aren't very strong. Somebody bumbed my front fender with thier hip and it bent like a popcan. I like how it drives- smooth and nice. The a/c works really good. I put some Pontiac alloy wheels on it to replace the hub caps because they kept falling off on my gravel road. Otherwise this car has been really reliable and i can't complain.

Good and Solid
By rogue_77 on 11/17/04 00:33 AM (PST)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

I've had my '91 Grand Am since about '97. Got it with 89K miles on it, currently about 140K. I've almost beat the heck out of this thing and dispite that its still been good to me. Nice and solid, parts are easy to get to, good runner. Pretty reliable. I plan to drive this thing into the ground...

All it needs is a new exterior design
By Headly on 02/28/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am 2dr Coupe

For how old the car is I am surprised it hasnt blown up yet. But besides that point. I have owned the car for three years and besides the usual maintenance I have not one problem with this car except for installing a new starter. I expect the car to last me for another couple of years with no problems.

GMC and Pontiac not Honorable
By Professional on 01/11/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1991 Pontiac Grand Am 4dr Sedan

Ran into a Secret Warranty or Special Warranty issue. The car was made and purchase unknown to me with a problem with the primer called delamination which casues the paint to peel and car start rusting. No notice was sent out nor was I ever approach to get it repaired when I was taking the car to several different Pontiac dealers for repair. They will not fix their misstake due to the age and mileage of car.