1990 Pontiac Grand Am SE Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

1990 Pontiac Grand-am - Consumer Reviews

1990 Grand Am Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Grand Am model:

Sort Reviews by

Ran good, but body was rustbucket
By Dustin

1990 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

Bought one for $800 at a fairly shady lot. Had 111,000 miles on it, it started and got me to school everyday. It had the 4Tech engine in it (not the horrendous Quad), and I attribute that factor to how well it ran. Some frigid Illinois mornings (-15F), my car, amazingly, was the only one that would start. How it looked was a different story. Got it with no rust, no real dings or anything, but that first winter DESTROYED the body. Rust spreading like an infection on my car body, and glad to read in the reviews that mine wasn't the only one that had the rear shocks break up into the trunk. 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles later, engine dies. Sold to junk yard for $35. (Trans was still good)

Favorite Features

Always started in the most frigid of cold.

Suggested Improvements

Body was almost designed to rust.

By Blazer83

1990 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

I owned this Pontiac for two years and put over 500,000 miles on it! The little car fell right apart around the engine though. I had the 2.3 DOHC 16 Valve oh she was a fast little girl! I just wish Pontiac would've built the body better. The rear shocks endded up coming up though the trunk. I paid $1,500 for it and drove it back and forth to college everyday. I'd say I got my money out of it.

Favorite Features

The take off!

1990 Grand Am LE Coupe Quad 4
By Andrew

1990 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

I've had this car for almost three years and the only thing that has gone wrong is the A/C compressor. It has over 140K miles on the original Quad 4. Most Quad motors aren't very reliable but this one has been perfect. Everyone thinks of the GA as a junk but it really is a solid car, you just have to take care of it. Don't beat the hell out of your car, ignore oil changes and expect it to run forever.

Favorite Features

The Quad 4 by far. Once that motor spins past 3K RPM it pulla awesome. If the car was a 5-speed it would be alot faster.

Suggested Improvements

I really can't think of anything that needs improvement because the car is 17 years old but the seats could have been designed a little better.

Advice: Don't waste even little money!
By David G.

1990 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

Mechanical Quality: Blown engine at purchase. Alternator has been replaced 4 times. Check engine light came on causing all sorts of electrical problems (AC and Speedometer died and transmission ran at 1700 RPM at idle, but became normal after light went off). Replaced 3 sensors (O2; Coolant; TPS), EGR Valve and thermosthat. Replaced engine computer which fixed engine light problem. Shocks/Struts need to be replaced. Body/Interior Quality: Body rusts out rather quickly. Exterior paint job is terrible. Tire noise in city and highway driving is very loud and annoying. Feature/Accessory Quality: Heating takes a while to get warm. AC is cold, but needs more power to blow our more. Good Stereo!

Favorite Features

Stereo system is very good. AC is good in warm weather, but don't expect to much in very hot weather as the blower is not powerful enough to cool down the car in any amount of time while driving. There is really not that many favorite features to list as there are more problems than good things.

Suggested Improvements

Overall build quality would be a good start. Steer clear away from Pontiacs. I have 161,000 on the car and I know that Hondas, Nissans, and Toyotas give you more realiability. The car is not very good for the long term, or even the short term for that matter. Don't even buy as 1st time car buyer!

Runs Great !
By GM Man

1990 Pontiac Grand Am LE 4dr Sedan

Bought this car 1 year old at 10k mi., did regular maintenance on my own (oil, lube, filters, trans fluid, etc...), now has 129k and still running strong (Tech 4 engine) no major problems, just alternator, cooling fan and once the ECM went bad leaving the engine unable to start ($350 w/labor). This car has served me well, overall very dependable and easy maintenance to keep it running.

Favorite Features

Reliable, easy to drive, comfortable ride for a car of this size.

Suggested Improvements

Engine runs a bit rough when AC is on. Window crank mechanism very poorly designed (broke twice).

Go Pontiac
By Boz

1990 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

This car is SWEET! Everyone in my family has owned Pontiacs before, and no one has ever had a single problem with them. There are 3 Grand Am's and one Grand Prix in my house right now, and all of them are different years and styles. I think that I love the 1990-1991 style the best! The car is fun to drive, and still looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

Favorite Features

Power accessories are in very easy reach to the front two passengers. Great power with the Q4HO. Incredibly reliable.

Suggested Improvements

The brakes really suck. New engine does not draw enough vacuum to the brake booster. Oil pan placed far too low. Beginnings of light rust on the bottoms of both doors suggest better anti-corrosive means necessary in the future.

Racer
By pd911

1990 Pontiac Grand Am SE 2dr Coupe

My Oh so wonderful 1990 Grand Am SE 2 Door coupe is one of the fastest 4 cylinder cars on the road, Or at least it was. The performance of this car was unimaginable thanks to the custom quad turbo I had on it. The only problem was the quad 4 motor cant handle any type of stress. I found myself under the hood weekly working on the engine to keep it running. I would definately recomend this car for someone who doesnt care to much about comfort and likes to work on motors. As for my car its now in the junk heap after I blew the motor for the 6th time. Maybe a quad turbo is just to much for that engine,

Favorite Features

My custom made Quad Turbo Intake.

Suggested Improvements

Loose the Quad 4 engine and stick with the tech 4, its more reliable and will take more of a beating.

with a high preformance exuast system
By Jason Morgel

1990 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

I got the car in 2001 after I biffed it with my s-10. Of course, the body is all rusted out. The car has only let me down once when the starter when out after work one day. Other problems I had was I cracked the exuaust off behind the cadaylitic converter because I bottomed out while hiting the dips in Holdingford. I later took the cadalytic converter off and replaced it with a cherry bomb glasspack. It's relitivly fast and I had it doing 110. A good reliable vehicle, and I would recommend it to anyone. My heater also dosen't work and I have no time or ambission to fix. I don't care much anymore. I bought a 1996 Grand Prix.

Favorite Features

It's a plain car, and really doesn't have any good features.

Suggested Improvements

TURBOCHARGE IT! The factory system is not real good, I blew out the two front speakers, but the 6x9's in the back sound decent yet. The cars would also be better if they would find a way to keep them from rusting out after ten years.

Great Car When Taken Care Of
By pontiacmagic

1990 Pontiac Grand Am LE 2dr Coupe

I bought this car off of my parents who purchased it new in 1990. They had taken great care of it, and paid attention to every detail. I needed a good reliable car for college, and this was a great find. It looks and runs like brand new, has great power, and has never let me down. Good car if found in good condition.

Favorite Features

All power options are placed within easy reach of the driver. Car corners well, and steering is very responsive.

Suggested Improvements

BRAKES. The brakes require almost double the stopping distance of a car equipped with ABS. Chrome molding that runs entire length of car above lower bodyside moldings is cheesy. Probably an afterthought.

Rust machine
By samhain

1990 Pontiac Grand Am LE 4dr Sedan

Well what can I say, I bought this car from my brother-in-law, for a pittance $450. About what it was worth. I just needed transportation quickly. The body on these things rust out bad, rear, doors, trunk, roof. Horrid paint job. It leaked oil like a sieve. It was the most underpowered car I've driven, next to the 1989 Chevy Celebrity, which is heavier and uses the same engine. I beat the hell out of the thing, and had no need for major repairs for two and half years. Until now, the seals are shot and the cylinders are knocking and getting ready to seize up. I would avoid these dogs unless someone gives it to you.

Favorite Features

middle storage consol.

Suggested Improvements

where to start