2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G8 model:
Love these cars so much I own 2.
By jzpiano on 06/01/14 18:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my first G8 GT in April of 09 and have 23k miles on the car. I have modified it to be a track car and it has still been extremely reliable. After a few years of ownership I wanted to garage the car over the winter and knew I would miss driving it so I bought a second one that I DD everyday.

Excellent
By plumman on 03/15/14 19:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased this car 14 months ago and love it. The car comes alive on the highway. The engine and tranny are matched for American highway cruising. Bmw performance at USA prices. The build quality is very good. I get around 19mph overall gas mileage. It uses regular gas. Get one of the plug tuners for tuning the transmission. Stock it shifts to late and makes the car seem sluggish, unless in sport mode. Tuning corrects this issue and transforms the car! Tires are pricey.

2009 Pontiac G8
By sexxy86 on 01/09/14 10:48 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Love my G8 when I first saw one I was like I have to get that car it looked good, I did just that own mine for 4years now. Did have problems when I first got where the engine kept coming on it was do to the gas cap it had to be replace which it was happening to a lot of the G8s. The other thing I have had problems with is the sit on the driver side the shift had come a loose had to have it fix 3 times in 4 years, other than that it's a excellent car it keeps the heads turning all the time.

bargain of a life time
By renter2 on 12/15/13 12:07 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased new 09 of 2008, after 64 months of ownership, this vehicle has been nearly perfect. We only drive it 2 or 3 times a month. Averaging 20.8 mpg over the last 3800 miles of mixed driving. Current mileage is 23,600 mi. of old folks driving (treat it like we paid for it).Over our adult life we have owned 30+ new vehicles, & 10+ used. From Acura to VW, including a few hp & luxury types.maybe it was just good luck but the gt does everything very well.I have read the first drives of the new chevy ss, & it sounds like an excellent car, but the msrp is nearly 47k with the fuel usage tax penalty.I will keep the gt thank you.

So far, so good
By dmblystone14 on 06/14/13 20:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I just bought my G8 GT 4 months ago, though I've been looking for one for over a year and a half. I originally wanted one when they were new but they were a little too expensive so I went with a used Grand Prix GXP (big mistake). So far I love this car. I get "nice car" comments weekly, even by my local GM/ex-Pontiac dealer who apparently doesn't get to service too many of these. If you are looking for performance and value you really can't beat this. For a new car with this performance you'd easily spend $35k.

Great sports car with room inside
By anchorage on 05/10/13 11:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

2009 G8 GT owned 2 months 19K miles 6' tall 250 lbs male (me) This a great sports car. I bought it after buying and then having to sell an Audi S4 (I can't use a manual due to a bad knee). The G8 is very fast and has a great automatic transmission. The seats are great and the interior is large enough for adult people who are larger than a size medium, unlike most sporty cars. Factory autostart has a range of about 25 feet line of sight. This car would be perfect if it had 2 inches more ground clearance, AWD, and better visiblity.

The American Dream from Australia
By i12cunekid on 07/15/12 08:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I simply love this car. 6 liters of V8 muscle with a 6 speed and rear wheel drive. Interior is nicely laid out with more room inside than anything else in or near it's class. Fun to drive and gets lots of compliments. Sat radio, power everything, heated seats, DOD/AFM, factory 19" wheels, Leather seats, dual climate control,... Looks like a 5 series BMW on the outside and has more room on the inside. Yes the BMW has a nicer interior but it's also twice the price. I've had the car 3 years and love to drive it. If you can get your hands on one, get it while you can. Only imported for 2 years by Pontiac from GM's Australian partner Holden. Only thing Pontiac about it is the name badges. :)

Known Engine Problems
By molina67 on 01/06/12 08:23 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new, and was not told of the potential problem with the engine. Before I get into the engine problems, the V6 gets terrible gas mileage for the horse power. Most 4 cylinder cars are faster than the V6 and the most you'll get is 24 mpg highway. After 28000 miles the check engine light comes on, I take it to the dealer and it sits in maintenance for a week because of camshaft problems. I did research and found that the problem is well known. Needless to say I traded it in. For a Optima Turbo that gets 274 HP and 34 MPG highway.

Worst car I have ever owned
By boingo13 on 09/29/11 18:27 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

The problems started when I took delivery. All four wheels and the steering wheel were out of alignment. After that, it developed a vacuum leak in the fuel system, an engine mount came loose, the brake lights stopped working, and the front fascia came loose. Then, it needed a new steering rack, and all new control arms in the front. The car vibrates like a guitar string at all speeds. It squeaks, rattles, and buzzes in various places, and the steering has a lot of slack, despite all the new parts up front. The V8 engine runs OK, but the transmission is very slow to shift and never seems to find the right gear. A lot of wind and road noise, but little engine sound. 32046 current miles.

Don't miss this FUN TO DRIVE CAR
By hopen4mail on 07/02/11 08:56 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Great sporty car with great value. If you don't want to pay the price for a european rear wheel drive sport car or pay to fix them, this is the car for you. Love the looks, outside and in; the ride is sporty and fun and fast. I wish I would have spent the extra grand on the GT but, oh well. I bought brand new and have put 42K miles on since 4/09. Around town driving you get about 18 mpg and freeway about 24. Of course, I have a lead foot and enjoy going fast in my red baby so if you drive the speed limit, you'll get better. Nice thigh/knee support for picky drivers. I would definately buy this car again.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Pontiac G8 Sedan in VA is:

$129 per month*