Used 2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP Consumer Reviews - 17 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP - Consumer Reviews

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP

GXP 6.2L V8 6-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )

Ultimate Sleeper
By sleepercity

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Love this car. Was looking for a toy and almost went with a Vette, but have always loved sleepers (cars that 'surprise' without looking like they should). So much fun and the expressions are priceless, although not usually around to see them unless I catch a light further up the road. My overpowering thought when I leave someone in the dust is 'google it. G8GXP'. Sooo much fun, yet very drivable and comfortable on the road. Best MPH on a trip is just under 25, but like others have said, 'who cares'. BTW, I have the 6 speed manual. The drop down wouldn't let me choose.

Performance and handling, plus overall extremely good drive-ability and comfort. Solid body and still no rattles after 20K. Zero issues so far.

Anything with HP means you're naturally looking for more, but superchargers, etc will put you into the super-car leagues, so no worries. I see the Aussies have come up with their version in the Commodore sedan with the Vette's Z06 power plant. For the 140K price tag they're talking about I'll stick with modifying my GXP. Seriously, the radio sucks (too much bass), but what GM car has a good one, stock? More seriously, I wish they had opted for seating with more lateral support. I had a Grand Prix GXP and the seats were superior in that area.

Love it but lacks common features
By costeld

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fast, comfortable and smooth ride on poor roads. Very quite cabin. Responsive steering. Good brake performance. Very supportive seats. Distinctive styling. Solid clutch and transmission. Good consistent power. Nice exhaust note. Head turner (thats a Pontiac?).

Engine and transmission! Drives like a sports car when pushed (you can defeat stability control), but enough room for 5 comfortably. Huge back seat! Easy and refined daily communter. Somewhat of a sleeper.

Lacks features I expect on a 38-$40,000 car. I expect Nav, auto dim mirrors (20 yr old tech!), memory seats/radio/mirrors, parking sensors, and HID headlights. I expect the option of cooled seats, a back up camera, and blind spot monitoring. I would appreciate some of the features of its contemporaries such as adaptive cruise control and voice recognition. So, lacks common features but makes up for it in performance.

See ya!
By Nick

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

My GXP is a garage queen. 3000 miles after 15 months. BUT it has been slightly modified. Kooks headers, Vararram cold intake, cat delete, SLP supercharger, engine tune and trans tune. It is simply the greatest sleeper ever. A 4 door sedan that can blow just about anything off the road! If you like 500 HP at the rear wheels, this is the way to go. Keep in mind Fly wheel HP doesn't tell the whole story! All these inflated HP numbers are at the Fly Wheel. They made me rate fuel economy. WHO CARES? At this performance level and low miles driven, it does not matter.

Looks, Rarity, Collectability.

Doesn't matter. They are gone.

G8 GXP ROCKS!
By spaycace

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

I drive my car 60 miles one way to work daily, and I'm glad I saved the 25 grand more that I would have spent on a CTS-V! This car is a 4-door Corvette & is more than FUN to drive! I race/beat "ponies" and Camaros as well. Tried to get a vette to race me, but the driver simply wouldn't do it. With a few mods/tweaks, this car has more power & is faster than a base vette, and ANY mustang, even the over- priced supercharged one! I LOVE this car! The traction control works AMAZINGLY well considering the power. MPG is acceptable, but then again, didn't buy it for economy. The best mpg I've seen is 22.8, but the car isn't broken in with only 8500 miles. BUY one if you can find one!

I love the 6-speed manual! The center console mounted window/mirror controls give me flashbacks to my old 86 Z-28 Camaro.

Needs reading lights in the back that passengers can operate. Would be nice to have functional "nostrils" on the hood, instead of just for mean looks. Also seems washer fluid freezes in the lines when really cold out (close to 0 or below). Wish it had better all season tires (HATE goodyears!)

Mid life crisis
By Mid life crisis

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Bought a 2009 g8 gxp. Live in Houston n couldnt find any where. Found on eBay. Hot white with red n black interior. 6 speed. Wife asked if was going through mid life crisis. Fast loud with Corsa exhaust n very fun to drive. I really like stereo n love 6 speed n 2nd or 3rd gear. Very big car. Handles like a go-cart. Love no one else has. I have seem one silver gt. That is it. Love car. Very fast. I always have people ask what car is. No one has yet to try n race me. They know.

Love body style from certain angles. I know debated. But love stereo. I love torque with 6 speed. I added Corsa cat-back n sounds like a Lion ready to pounce. Love I never see one n I live n Houston. Especially gxp. Fast. Great big car.

Cup holder. Come on. Only good for 12oz can especially with 6 speed. No auto up for windows. Hard to dislike card because it's a 4 door vette. I get a lot of looks n with Corsa exhaust sounds mean as they get.