2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Pontiac G8 - Consumer Reviews

2009 G8 Consumer Reviews

GXP 6.2L V8 6-speed Automatic - (17 reviews )

Sort Reviews by

Ultimate Sleeper
By sleepercity

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Love this car. Was looking for a toy and almost went with a Vette, but have always loved sleepers (cars that 'surprise' without looking like they should). So much fun and the expressions are priceless, although not usually around to see them unless I catch a light further up the road. My overpowering thought when I leave someone in the dust is 'google it. G8GXP'. Sooo much fun, yet very drivable and comfortable on the road. Best MPH on a trip is just under 25, but like others have said, 'who cares'. BTW, I have the 6 speed manual. The drop down wouldn't let me choose.

Favorite Features

Performance and handling, plus overall extremely good drive-ability and comfort. Solid body and still no rattles after 20K. Zero issues so far.

Suggested Improvements

Anything with HP means you're naturally looking for more, but superchargers, etc will put you into the super-car leagues, so no worries. I see the Aussies have come up with their version in the Commodore sedan with the Vette's Z06 power plant. For the 140K price tag they're talking about I'll stick with modifying my GXP. Seriously, the radio sucks (too much bass), but what GM car has a good one, stock? More seriously, I wish they had opted for seating with more lateral support. I had a Grand Prix GXP and the seats were superior in that area.

Love it but lacks common features
By costeld

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fast, comfortable and smooth ride on poor roads. Very quite cabin. Responsive steering. Good brake performance. Very supportive seats. Distinctive styling. Solid clutch and transmission. Good consistent power. Nice exhaust note. Head turner (thats a Pontiac?).

Favorite Features

Engine and transmission! Drives like a sports car when pushed (you can defeat stability control), but enough room for 5 comfortably. Huge back seat! Easy and refined daily communter. Somewhat of a sleeper.

Suggested Improvements

Lacks features I expect on a 38-$40,000 car. I expect Nav, auto dim mirrors (20 yr old tech!), memory seats/radio/mirrors, parking sensors, and HID headlights. I expect the option of cooled seats, a back up camera, and blind spot monitoring. I would appreciate some of the features of its contemporaries such as adaptive cruise control and voice recognition. So, lacks common features but makes up for it in performance.

See ya!
By Nick

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

My GXP is a garage queen. 3000 miles after 15 months. BUT it has been slightly modified. Kooks headers, Vararram cold intake, cat delete, SLP supercharger, engine tune and trans tune. It is simply the greatest sleeper ever. A 4 door sedan that can blow just about anything off the road! If you like 500 HP at the rear wheels, this is the way to go. Keep in mind Fly wheel HP doesn't tell the whole story! All these inflated HP numbers are at the Fly Wheel. They made me rate fuel economy. WHO CARES? At this performance level and low miles driven, it does not matter.

Favorite Features

Looks, Rarity, Collectability.

Suggested Improvements

Doesn't matter. They are gone.

G8 GXP ROCKS!
By spaycace

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

I drive my car 60 miles one way to work daily, and I'm glad I saved the 25 grand more that I would have spent on a CTS-V! This car is a 4-door Corvette & is more than FUN to drive! I race/beat "ponies" and Camaros as well. Tried to get a vette to race me, but the driver simply wouldn't do it. With a few mods/tweaks, this car has more power & is faster than a base vette, and ANY mustang, even the over- priced supercharged one! I LOVE this car! The traction control works AMAZINGLY well considering the power. MPG is acceptable, but then again, didn't buy it for economy. The best mpg I've seen is 22.8, but the car isn't broken in with only 8500 miles. BUY one if you can find one!

Favorite Features

I love the 6-speed manual! The center console mounted window/mirror controls give me flashbacks to my old 86 Z-28 Camaro.

Suggested Improvements

Needs reading lights in the back that passengers can operate. Would be nice to have functional "nostrils" on the hood, instead of just for mean looks. Also seems washer fluid freezes in the lines when really cold out (close to 0 or below). Wish it had better all season tires (HATE goodyears!)

Mid life crisis
By Mid life crisis

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Bought a 2009 g8 gxp. Live in Houston n couldnt find any where. Found on eBay. Hot white with red n black interior. 6 speed. Wife asked if was going through mid life crisis. Fast loud with Corsa exhaust n very fun to drive. I really like stereo n love 6 speed n 2nd or 3rd gear. Very big car. Handles like a go-cart. Love no one else has. I have seem one silver gt. That is it. Love car. Very fast. I always have people ask what car is. No one has yet to try n race me. They know.

Favorite Features

Love body style from certain angles. I know debated. But love stereo. I love torque with 6 speed. I added Corsa cat-back n sounds like a Lion ready to pounce. Love I never see one n I live n Houston. Especially gxp. Fast. Great big car.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holder. Come on. Only good for 12oz can especially with 6 speed. No auto up for windows. Hard to dislike card because it's a 4 door vette. I get a lot of looks n with Corsa exhaust sounds mean as they get.

4 door Vette
By 2009 GXP

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Bought a used 09 GXP for 32.7k with 5600 miles. Hot White with black & red leather. 6 speed manual. Added Corsa exhaust already and sounds great, much deeper and burbly. Love the car! Really fun to drive, and you never see one and I live in Houston. Have had zero issues so far. Car feels solid & unlike some I really like the stereo. It's not as clear as some, but the windows down I can be driving 60 and still hear very clear. No one has messed with me yet. I have people all the time ask me about the car and what it is. They can't believe the engine specs. You pop the hood and tell them the battery is in the trunk and they laugh. At my age 42, wife asked if I was having a mid-life.

Favorite Features

Engine sound and endless power with the 6 speed. 2nd & 3rd gears driving intown are a lot of fun. I personally love stereo. I love the way it looks from certain angles. I love that you are driving a very unique car and that you literally don't see any around town, and I live in a huge city.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, are you kidding. Especially with 6 speed, my right arm keeps hitting if bigger then a 12oz can. 1st to 4th skip, how annoying at times. the speed control annoying sound. You change to 70, but comes on every time you get over 70. On HWY you are always back and forth over 70. DING DIN

G8 GXP - The 4-door Corvette
By pokerfred68

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Best vehicle owned to date. Well beyond expectations. Bad idea for GM not to continue to offer this in the US. Want one bad enough...go to Australia. M5 killer for half the price. Also have a 2009 Vette with same engine...G8 can almost keep up! Only regret: no offer of an in-dash nav. This is one of the top 5 sport sedans in the world...bar none...regardless of price. At 415 hp, it's only $100 per pony. Glad to have one of the very few GXP's sold...hopefully a collector for the future.

Favorite Features

Engine, manumatic tranny, brakes, exhaust note, interior space, black leather with red accents

Suggested Improvements

Hmm...moot point since it's gone forever.

Best Car I've Ever Driven/Owned
By RWD-V8

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

After quite a bit of research, I purchased a slate blue, G8 GXP with a manual transmission. It's truly a Corvette for a family of five. It has more space, the same or better performance and is more fun to drive then an M5. I'm not interested in tons of electronics that will only fail and cause problems. This car is such fun to drive, I will never sell it. The fuel economy is great for the power/performance level. I get 20-22 mpg in mixed driving with the manual trans!

Favorite Features

Smooth power, great manual transmission, suspension and brakes. Very comfortable seating for five on long trips. Gorgeous body lines.

Suggested Improvements

Nav for those that need it built in. Analog oil pressure, oil temp and voltage gauges. Find a way to keep this car in the GM line up so I can buy another one.... yes it's that good.

WOW!!!! Sit back and hold on!!
By Nick

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

I think I got the last one in the midwest. Whatever, I think there were only 1823 built. Still working on that one. This car is ridiculous, a 3900 lb. car 0-60 in 4.5? Yes. I'm 55, this is the best, most fun car I have ever owned, and I've owned some, from corvettes to T-bird Super Coupes that were not stock, very fast. This thing is it. Even the Stereo is ridiculous. Oh, by the way, I could care less what the gas mileage is. Wonder what this sucker will bring at the Mecum Auction in 15 years when all the muscle cars are gone????

Favorite Features

Power and looks and performance.

Suggested Improvements

Air Conditioned seats, like my Buick Lucerne business car. Back up sensors.

WOW WOW
By JOE S.

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Had 07 300 SRT8, 05 CTS-V, The best car for the money hands down...sold both cars in search of the best of all worlds...AND I FOUND IT IN THE G8 GXP.....love this car....

Favorite Features

THE POWER, SMOOTH TRANS..

Suggested Improvements

GPS. THATS IT