Used 2009 Pontiac G8 Base Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific G8 model:

2009 Pontiac G8
By sexxy86

2009 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Love my G8 when I first saw one I was like I have to get that car it looked good, I did just that own mine for 4years now. Did have problems when I first got where the engine kept coming on it was do to the gas cap it had to be replace which it was happening to a lot of the G8s. The other thing I have had problems with is the sit on the driver side the shift had come a loose had to have it fix 3 times in 4 years, other than that it's a excellent car it keeps the heads turning all the time.

Favorite Features

I love the heated sits,the speed, you can control your temperature, sunroof and how roomy it is and the trunk is roomy too don't look like it from the outside.

Suggested Improvements

Find something more durable to keep the shift attached to the sit the plastic is not working.

Known Engine Problems
By molina67

2009 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new, and was not told of the potential problem with the engine. Before I get into the engine problems, the V6 gets terrible gas mileage for the horse power. Most 4 cylinder cars are faster than the V6 and the most you'll get is 24 mpg highway. After 28000 miles the check engine light comes on, I take it to the dealer and it sits in maintenance for a week because of camshaft problems. I did research and found that the problem is well known. Needless to say I traded it in. For a Optima Turbo that gets 274 HP and 34 MPG highway.

Favorite Features

Appearance of the car. It was a pretty car but looks aren't everything as my mother told me.

Suggested Improvements

Disclosure of potential problems.

Don't miss this FUN TO DRIVE CAR
By hopen4mail

2009 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Great sporty car with great value. If you don't want to pay the price for a european rear wheel drive sport car or pay to fix them, this is the car for you. Love the looks, outside and in; the ride is sporty and fun and fast. I wish I would have spent the extra grand on the GT but, oh well. I bought brand new and have put 42K miles on since 4/09. Around town driving you get about 18 mpg and freeway about 24. Of course, I have a lead foot and enjoy going fast in my red baby so if you drive the speed limit, you'll get better. Nice thigh/knee support for picky drivers. I would definately buy this car again.

Favorite Features

Fun drive, eye candy good looks (esp. in red), uses reg. unleaded gas, fairly good mpg, great ride, well put together, huge rear seat room (like the bmw 5 series!) Great front seat comfort.

Suggested Improvements

easier to read lcd screen for radio etc.

G8
By Krisi C

2009 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

My parents got me a G8 for my 16th birthday going on 2 years ago. My parents love it because of all the safety features but I love the way it looks. We have not had any trouble with it at all. I am very happy they chose this car!

Favorite Features

Overall Appearance and Safety Features

Suggested Improvements

Really wish the seats were power adjustable.

Found a Diamond
By Ross Gore

2009 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I had been searching for months on a 4- Door Sedan to buy and had come down to the Ford Taurus and Buick LaCross. Then on day while having my Chrysler Sebring Conv. serviced I happened to see the front end on a G8 in the preowned car area. I walked over and took a look and walked in and said how much. That very day I solved my sedan problem and have really enjoyed the driving experience of the Dark Gray V- 6. I have put 3000 more miles on it and have been avg 27.5 on Hwy and 21 hwy/city. I took it to the mountains to see how it handled the curves and climb and was very much pleased with it. I plan to keep this car until the wheels fall off. If you can find one in great to good shape, buy it.

Favorite Features

The overall look, interior room, comfort, handling and enough power for me.

Suggested Improvements

None since out of production