2009 Pontiac G8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G8 model:
Love these cars so much I own 2.
By jzpiano on 06/01/14 18:56 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I bought my first G8 GT in April of 09 and have 23k miles on the car. I have modified it to be a track car and it has still been extremely reliable. After a few years of ownership I wanted to garage the car over the winter and knew I would miss driving it so I bought a second one that I DD everyday.

Excellent
By plumman on 03/15/14 19:28 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I purchased this car 14 months ago and love it. The car comes alive on the highway. The engine and tranny are matched for American highway cruising. Bmw performance at USA prices. The build quality is very good. I get around 19mph overall gas mileage. It uses regular gas. Get one of the plug tuners for tuning the transmission. Stock it shifts to late and makes the car seem sluggish, unless in sport mode. Tuning corrects this issue and transforms the car! Tires are pricey.

2009 Pontiac G8
By sexxy86 on 01/09/14 10:48 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Love my G8 when I first saw one I was like I have to get that car it looked good, I did just that own mine for 4years now. Did have problems when I first got where the engine kept coming on it was do to the gas cap it had to be replace which it was happening to a lot of the G8s. The other thing I have had problems with is the sit on the driver side the shift had come a loose had to have it fix 3 times in 4 years, other than that it's a excellent car it keeps the heads turning all the time.

bargain of a life time
By renter2 on 12/15/13 12:07 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G8 GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

Purchased new 09 of 2008, after 64 months of ownership, this vehicle has been nearly perfect. We only drive it 2 or 3 times a month. Averaging 20.8 mpg over the last 3800 miles of mixed driving. Current mileage is 23,600 mi. of old folks driving (treat it like we paid for it).Over our adult life we have owned 30+ new vehicles, & 10+ used. From Acura to VW, including a few hp & luxury types.maybe it was just good luck but the gt does everything very well.I have read the first drives of the new chevy ss, & it sounds like an excellent car, but the msrp is nearly 47k with the fuel usage tax penalty.I will keep the gt thank you.

So far, so good
By dmblystone14 on 06/14/13 20:22 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I just bought my G8 GT 4 months ago, though I've been looking for one for over a year and a half. I originally wanted one when they were new but they were a little too expensive so I went with a used Grand Prix GXP (big mistake). So far I love this car. I get "nice car" comments weekly, even by my local GM/ex-Pontiac dealer who apparently doesn't get to service too many of these. If you are looking for performance and value you really can't beat this. For a new car with this performance you'd easily spend $35k.

Great sports car with room inside
By anchorage on 05/10/13 11:02 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

2009 G8 GT owned 2 months 19K miles 6' tall 250 lbs male (me) This a great sports car. I bought it after buying and then having to sell an Audi S4 (I can't use a manual due to a bad knee). The G8 is very fast and has a great automatic transmission. The seats are great and the interior is large enough for adult people who are larger than a size medium, unlike most sporty cars. Factory autostart has a range of about 25 feet line of sight. This car would be perfect if it had 2 inches more ground clearance, AWD, and better visiblity.

Ultimate Sleeper
By sleepercity on 11/19/12 15:13 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Love this car. Was looking for a toy and almost went with a Vette, but have always loved sleepers (cars that 'surprise' without looking like they should). So much fun and the expressions are priceless, although not usually around to see them unless I catch a light further up the road. My overpowering thought when I leave someone in the dust is 'google it. G8GXP'. Sooo much fun, yet very drivable and comfortable on the road. Best MPH on a trip is just under 25, but like others have said, 'who cares'. BTW, I have the 6 speed manual. The drop down wouldn't let me choose.

The American Dream from Australia
By i12cunekid on 07/15/12 08:35 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 GT 4dr Sedan (6.0L 8cyl 6A)

I simply love this car. 6 liters of V8 muscle with a 6 speed and rear wheel drive. Interior is nicely laid out with more room inside than anything else in or near it's class. Fun to drive and gets lots of compliments. Sat radio, power everything, heated seats, DOD/AFM, factory 19" wheels, Leather seats, dual climate control,... Looks like a 5 series BMW on the outside and has more room on the inside. Yes the BMW has a nicer interior but it's also twice the price. I've had the car 3 years and love to drive it. If you can get your hands on one, get it while you can. Only imported for 2 years by Pontiac from GM's Australian partner Holden. Only thing Pontiac about it is the name badges. :)

Love it but lacks common features
By costeld on 06/02/12 14:12 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 4dr Sedan (6.2L 8cyl 6A)

Fast, comfortable and smooth ride on poor roads. Very quite cabin. Responsive steering. Good brake performance. Very supportive seats. Distinctive styling. Solid clutch and transmission. Good consistent power. Nice exhaust note. Head turner (thats a Pontiac?).

Known Engine Problems
By molina67 on 01/06/12 08:23 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I bought this car new, and was not told of the potential problem with the engine. Before I get into the engine problems, the V6 gets terrible gas mileage for the horse power. Most 4 cylinder cars are faster than the V6 and the most you'll get is 24 mpg highway. After 28000 miles the check engine light comes on, I take it to the dealer and it sits in maintenance for a week because of camshaft problems. I did research and found that the problem is well known. Needless to say I traded it in. For a Optima Turbo that gets 274 HP and 34 MPG highway.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Pontiac G8 in VA is:

$129 per month*