2008 Pontiac G8 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G8 model:
The lemon
By g6- 2 door coupe on 09/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

The car had been in the shop several time handles poorly in the snow. Tires are very expensive to replace. The brake light was on when driving - did not know it until a state trooper followed me. I would say that 36,000 miles was the life before every thing began to break down and then lets not mention the warranty was up after that and obama motors did not have a stimulus for the replacing the warranty of the car, how about that for a change!

Saved my life
By thankful on 06/11/09 12:29 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Only had 5400 miles mine when a tractor trailor hit me and drove me off the road and the car rolled over. The car is a total loss, but I walked away without a scratch. not only was this a great car to drive, it saved my life. I plan to go out and get 2009 G8 as soon as the insurance claim is settled.

Sweet Car
By Patrick on 02/18/09 18:02 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

An amazing car for the price. I ended up paying 20600 after taxes, and got a big, beautiful, 256 horsepower 4 door. The only things I dislike is that the remote start does not turn on the heater, so you have to deal with the frost if you have it. Also, I had to get a repair (snowy roads- my own fault) and I had to import a part from Australia.

Finally, GM RWD
By JohnnySacks on 08/26/08 12:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Waited and waited for GM to realize their mistake of killing RWD and for the buyer incentives to come into play to get the price down. Aside from the typical oil and battery display complaints and my aversion to everything overcomplicated in the controls of ALL new cars, this car is a more than fitting replacement to my 1991 Caprice LTZ. Took it on a 1,000 mile road trip first weekend and we love it. Mileage is as advertised, performs and handles like a dream. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't kill it after 3 years like the GTO, I keep my cars for a long long time and need parts availability (pads, rotors, alternators, starters, etc.) and dealer parts and knowledge for the harder stuff.

1st Pontiac
By gunter on 07/28/08 10:49 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Traded an 04 Tahoe on the car and have been quite pleased to date. The v-6 has plenty of moxie with just the right amount of cool in the styling. The fuel mileage could be closer to 30+ I would think, being it has a 5 speed auto. The rest of the car is still so new to us that we are still figuring out items. At first blush the one thing that sticks out to me is the tilt wheel. Seems it could have been more akin the tilts in pick ups and suv type vehicle. Not much range of motion, especially when one is in egress mode. Getting in and out is a bit challenging. I was also a bit leery about buying a vehicle that had the (odd size) wheels. Here's hoping the tires wear well. Expensive.

Simply an Awesome Car, made for driving
By Aka on 06/16/08 21:48 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I chose the V6 3.6 because it is absolutely strong and fast enough from me and I don't need extra 110 horses in the stables... The car is simply a fun car to drive, easily comparable with BMW driving qualities and performance. The gear is great, sporty if necessary. The engine has plenty of torque and it pulls great almost in any situation. It is huge on the inside, plenty of leg room for everyone. The luggage space is also huge and can carry two strollers easily. I highly recommend it for people who like a sporty, yet family friendly car. one warning, the base models don't provide extra gadgets or sophisticated hi-fi, it is quite basic, I like it that way, except for changing the speakers.

Just Gets Better
By Gene on 05/30/08 08:18 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

Posted earlier after owning only 3 days. The car just gets better as does the mpg as it breaks in. Haven't been on any lengthy trips yet but assume it will get much better. As lots of others said, this car turns heads. Found that I'm not alone in thumbs down of oil pressure and battery. Liked another reviewers idea of pictures displayed there. I would prefer to see MPG or anything else displayed here. Would be even better if you could select from DIC what you want there.

Wonderful Automobile!
By Andrew G on 05/25/08 11:15 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I went to the dealer to purchase a G6 GT sedan after looking at many other mid-sized vehicles. While waiting for the sales person, my wife and I looked at a G8 sedan parked on the lot. One test drive later, we were driving it home. I purchased this car for work (sales) where I drive hundreds of miles daily. With all of the freeway work being done and a particularly harsh winter, the roads are brutal but the G8 does a nice job of smoothing out the bumps without sacrificing a tight, controlled ride and excellent handling. Plus, my clients, many of them 6'+, are very comfortable in the back seat. The styling is also very sporty without looking "boy-racer"- ish. Nice job, Pontiac!

424 of 888
By wesson smith on 05/09/08 10:09 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

"Mean" look vehicle. I have never owned a vehicle which causes so many heads to turn as when I drive by. I even had a Pontiac dealer who had not yet received a G8 chase me down to look at my car. I have the Sedan, which is quicker than a lot of V8s. Some cheap features such as flimsy door handles and no XM is disappointing. Cheap stereo controls on the steering wheel. Flip open key looks cool, but seems flimsy and surely will not last. Hugh trunk and great back seat leg room.

Awesome Car
By Gene on 04/19/08 12:14 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G8 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 5A)

I think this is my 4th Pontiac. Just turned in my '04 Grand Prix GT2 for the G8. Prior to that I had 2 Grand Prix GTPs. Only had it 3 1/2 days. This car looks more like a BMW and handles like it! Quite a bit heavier and more responsive that the Grand Prix. Like the GT but decided that I didn't really need the V8 and the V6 really has plenty of power. The only difference in the two are the quad tail pipes and the clear tail light covers on the GT. The V6 has dual tail pipes and red light covers. I agree the amp meter and oil pressure displays need to go. Would like to be able to select items from the DIC and and transfer it to this display. Could probably be done with a computer upgrade.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.