2009 Pontiac G6 Value Leader Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific G6 model:

Sort Reviews by

PRND3L
By veaudry

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan New GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is my complaint. the shifter does not highlight when in any position,, there is no indicator in the dash to inform you what gear you are in.. Does anyone else have this missing on their G6's

2009.5 Pontiac G6 GT Sedan
By evnsptc

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I ordered a new G6 from my local dealer in October of 2009. I got it about a month later and it came with (black/tan heated leather, power moonroof, spoiler, 17' polished 5 spoke rims, 3.5L V6, AM/FM/XM/CD/AUX radio, Monsoon speaker system, power seat) When I got it I was very surprised. The exterior is beautiful! The interior is very nice too. I took it home and was in shock to find out how well this car handled! The suspension is taught yet soft at the same time! The steering feels like a German sports sedan! It currently has 23K miles on it and has given me no problems at all! I get it professionally detailed every 3 months I detail it myself in between. I love it so much!

Favorite Features

Moonroof, 17' Rims, Monsoon audio, XM Radio, OnStar, Heated Seats, Spoiler, Exterior, Engine (which is powerful at 221HP, it doesn't sound the greatest at full throttle but it is very willing) and the Handling! I get 27 mpg combined!! I loved my G6 so much that I traded in my Grand Prix towards a 10' GT Coupe! Which is also a great car, it has even better handling than the sedan! The engines should have been: Base: 2.5L I4 (VVT & iVLC) (eAssist/Start/Stop/Regen. Brakes optional) 210HP GT: 3.0L V6 (VVT, SIDI & AFM) 270HP GTP: 2.8L Turbo V6 (VVT, SIDI & AFM) 355HP GXP: 3.6L Twin Turbo V6 (VVT, SIDI & AFM) 440HP GTP and GXP trims have HiPer struts to reduce torque steer. . .

Suggested Improvements

The transmission is only a 4-Speed and should be a 6-Speed. I wish there was a navigation option. The Monsoon stereo is good, but a Bose would have been much appreciated. I wish Pontiac offered a panoramic moonroof at the time. I wish there was a Heads Up Display. The interior could have had more of a refresh for the 2009.5 edition (the door panels should have been trimmed/padded with leather, the dash could have been made with a little bit better materials). I wish the rear seats had an armrest, audio controls and hvac.

Pontiac should be ashamed!!!!
By larondag

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

i received a recall letter for the transmition in Dec 2012. I took my car to the dealership to have the recalled part repaired in March of 2012. Two days after the repair I start experiencing problems with my steering and my power steering went out a week later. After searching the internet i found out that this is a huge problem for this model. I then called Pontiac and they opened a case for this issue. i was advised to take my car to my local dealer and if they advise that it was not due to wear and tear or lack of matianence then they would assist with reimbursement. I took my car to the dealer and was advised that the torque sensor was bad.

Favorite Features

The sensor is only sold with the entire column therefore it cost me an additional 2 hours of labor. The dealer advised Pontiac that i should receive assistance and the part shouldnt have gone bad and that it was electrical.. I spoke with Distric Manager at Pontiac and was advised that since i purchased the car with 38k miles it was outside of warranty and since the car has 100k miles they would not assist me with the repair. Ive also notice electrical problems with the headlights and the entire front bumper has to be dropped to change the sockets. Thats gonna cost $200 in labor alone. Pontiac sent a memo to all dealers advising of the PS problem and they should replace the steering colum

Suggested Improvements

The fact that they know of this problem and refuse to replace it is an issue for me. Does someone have to be killed before they recall this part? i was also advised by my mechanic that the catylitic converter is known to go bad and he has replace 10 just in 2013. This car is just down right out faulty. Cant trade it in because i owe too much.. I dont plan to take this laying down. i am going to fight them all the way on this problem.

A decent "cheap" car
By partsman99

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is a decent car. Not a fan of all the plastic everywhere, and the very thin hollow sound of the doors when you close them, but other than that not a bad car. Key fobs = terrible! They're expensive, and do not last long. The 3.5L has more than enough power, and never ceases to amaze me. Car is VERY quiet; you can barely hear the engine rev. Excellent fuel economy: hwy averages around 28, with as much as 36 on a long road trip. The controls are easy to read, and arranged well. The seats start to get uncomfortable after 5 hours in on a road trip. In short, if you are looking for basic transportation that is dependible and capable of passing slower cars, this is a good choice.

Favorite Features

Remote start, speed controlled volume on radio, plenty of horsepower, decent sound system, excellent headlamps.

Suggested Improvements

Key Fobs are absolutely terrible, bordering on unacceptable. I am still using the original fob for my 2003 Grand Prix with no problems, and this G6 has been through 4 of them. At $127 + programming per fob, it turns into one expensive "feature" of the car. Steering isn't the greatest, and is greatly affected by what kind of tires are on the car (which is a first for me. Of all the cars I've owned, I've never experienced this.) Cheap Cheap CHEAP interior plastic everywhere, which I acknowledge that this isn't a luxury car, but it's just chinsey. Sunvisor will not stay up. I/S rearview mirror moves while driving.

Great car for the money
By pjz3

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan New Value Leader 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I recently purchased a used 2009 pontiac G6 with 33,000 miles. I really wasn't looking for a G6 but when I saw this one and test drove it I couldn't pass it up. All the other cars I test drove in this price range,(between 10,000 and 15,000),didn't even compare. The ther cars lacked in accesories or were much smaller and under powered. The G6 with everything I was looking for in a car plus nice styling and handling. The horse power from the 2.4L ecotec engine won't win any drags but it's no slouch oh the hiway. My family and i took the G6 on a short 200 mile trip just to see how it would do. We only used a Quarter tank of gas the whole trip. Over all a great little car.

Favorite Features

Hard to choose one I like the sat. radio a lot and the on star makes navagation a breeze, also gives me peace of mind knowing if something happens, like an accident or the car breaks down all we have to do is push the on star button and help is on the way.

Suggested Improvements

Bring back Pontiac! Corporations think too much about the bottom line and not enough about how it effects there customers. When ford planned to turn the Mustang into a front wheel drive car with only a V6 and not a V8 they were over run with letters from people who didn't want that to happen. In the end ford listened to the people and think what it would have done to that great car! The mustang is one of the best muscle cars out there today. So GM listen to the people who remember what Pontiac was and what a new Pontiac could become.

One problem after another!!
By cassandra1189

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had this car for a year and I can't wait to get rid of it! Bought it used with 40k in June 2010 and after a week noticed that the carpet in the back was wet. Thought it was a seal in the door but a few weeks later I had over an inch of water in the back. STILL having problems a year later! Driver headlight doesn't work, I've had the bulb replaced and wiring tightened, still comes on and off at random. Brake lights stay on all the time, except when I'm USING my brakes! Had the brakelight switch replaced and still not working properly. The silver/chrome interior is peeling and looks horrible. Had a 1999 grand prix that I loved and this car has definitely been a disappointment!!!

Favorite Features

Cloth seats are easy to clean.

My first Pontiac ever so far so good, 2010 G6
By painter60

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

So far we like the G6 we bought it 3 months ago with 25,000 miles and we have put another 1,000 miles on it, one thing I don't like is the hood bumpers keep loosening and the hood rattles, I found out after buying that t has been wrecked on the left front but it's hard to tell. All I know at this point is that it's a base model 2.4 motor it runs alittle rough in the morning but smoths out when it gets worm. I changed the tire size to 235/55-17 and it looks great with the wider tires, my wife wants me to paint it red she hates the white. Is there anything I can do to give it more HP?? I would like to find a rear wing for it (used) if anyone has one email me. Thanks for reading.

Favorite Features

I like everything about the car but I wish it had GPS, its has Onstar but we can afford to hook it up. What is HTC is that a modle and whats the dif from base to GT, or GXP, ??

Suggested Improvements

Tire size, it had Firestone 215/55-17 with 25,000 miles on them and 7/32 tread depth I bought new all season 235/55-17 and it handles so much better and looks so much better with the wider tires and I get a lot of people telling me the tires look cool from the rear.

Crap on four wheels
By angelajoe

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan New Value Leader 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought this car used only had a few thousand km on it. Since then we have found that the rims and tires are hard to get. The car is to low in winter this causes damage. Now cylinder 5 has a missfire and the plug broke off in the engine just completly siezed in the engine. Also the front brakes are wearing out prematurly would get rid of it but owe to much on it to trade it in but in a year i will be going ford this car is a total dissapointment. Way to much plastic and the interior feels and looks cheap but the outside looks okay.

Favorite Features

rides quiet and visability is ok and the gas milage is good to.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality materials in the engine and all over the car and try having a no charge system like ford does with sync

Better than expected
By dner

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan New 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We needed a winter car as our Mercedes is rear wheel drive. Normally we drive luxury or sporty cars or suvs. We picked this G6 because we like front drive cars on ice or slick roads. We have 2 suvs for deeper snow. For the money this is a nice car. Comfortable, reasonable performance, great economy, decent grownup looks. The seat are nice and I like the Onstar, ipod hookup, traction control and the ride. Quieter and nicer riding than I expected.

Favorite Features

Good ride, handles nice for front drive, good traction on ice, good seating position, lumbar adjuster.

Suggested Improvements

Not great rear visibility, with high belt line, small mirrors and high seats. Not much headroom.

One little problem
By masmad

2009 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my G6 for about 5 months now and it has 25,000 miles on it. It seems that around the front end where the motor is there is a clunking noise, sounds like the front end is going to drop out. It has nothing to do with the engine it is something else and we can't figure out what it is?..I am a little upset about this problem..

Favorite Features

I love the interior and exterior. There is really nothing I would change for the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Bigger trunk