Used 2008 Pontiac G6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Pontiac G6

View reviews for a specific G6 model:

My G6 Experience, so far
By Norman Potter

2008 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my G6 for under a year and am already having problems. At about 7500 miles I started noticing that the brakes were becoming comparable to those of my previous vehicle, which was 13 years old. About a month ago I noticed that it starts to shake and squeak when accelerating from a dead stop. I noticed earlier this week that when driving at around 30 mph there is a squeaking noise that sounds like it is coming from the engine compartment, or possibly the wheel bearings. I currently have about 12,000 miles on it and about 90 percent of those miles are highway driving miles. The car has ran well for me so far as the only problems have been noise and shaking. As well as brake wear.

Favorite Features

Great looking, spacious interior, reliable. Great fuel economy. Very drivable.

Suggested Improvements

Its a bit late to improve it now.

Excellent G6
By ThomasM

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

i recently got my g6 after I turned 16, and it's been awesome to drive. The engine is peppy and quick. I'm 6'1 with long legs, and was skeptical about getting a coupe, but this car is very comfortable in the front and back. Extremely stylish exterior, i get compliments all the time. Just a few problems. Gas mileage kinda sucks, (18 mpg city). If you drive push the gas hard just one your whole tank of gas is gone. Often the air conditioning smells of coolant..? Also, back tires spin out very easily. Besides that, the car is awesome. Suspension is smooth and allows very quick and sharp turns easily.-- Beautiful Car

Favorite Features

Int. & Ext. design. Quick engine. monsoon sound system sounds like a custom system. Performance suspension.

Suggested Improvements

Needs way better gas mileage. Fix the a/c from smelling like coolant

Great Car!
By Avenger

2008 Pontiac G6 GXP 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

This car is light years ahead of the Grand Prix we had. Handling, acceleration and great looks make this car very fun to drive. American cars have come a long way. The editors from this website don't give this car it's due. The dash could have a bit less plastic, but the design is very good. We don't have the hood scoop and the big spoiler (don't like the spoiler). But the front grill looks great. This car is a head turner and it doesn't look like the million Nissans, Hondas and Toyotas I see everyday.

Favorite Features

Heated leather seats, satellite radio, MP3 jack, remote start and overall looks

Suggested Improvements

A nav screen would be great!

1st and last GM product.
By Unhappyg6owner

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car over a Ford Mustang convertible because it was front wheel drive. Wasn't impressed with the acceleration, but this was after driving the Mustang. In the beginning I loved the car. The car looked great with the top down and even better with the top up. Sluggish and had too much pause between shifting. Horrible in snow, so ended up driving my truck all winter anyways. Now almost 8 months later I am in a rental car while I wait for my transmission to be fully rebuilt. The moldings around the seats are coming off for no reason. There is no where to put anything. Cup holders are in a bad place. Random rattles. More things, but running out of room. Should have bought the Ford.

Favorite Features

Looks great, top up or down. Smooth ride & handles decent. The stereo system is awesome. I like the steering wheel controls. A lot of fun watching the top go up & down (like an episode of "Transformers"). Remote start. Warranty (tow truck guy was super nice when my transmission left me stranded).

Suggested Improvements

Transmission, higher quality moldings, the change holder to the left of the steering wheel eats things (lost 3 credit cards before I realized they were falling inside the dash). Dash material hard to clean. More power, better gas mileage (my car doesn't get much better mileage than my big V-8 F- 150

Midlife Crisis Resolved
By Gary B.

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love everything about this car! The ride is smooth and comfortable with plenty of power, zip, and pep. It's simply a blast to drive top up or top down. With the top up I've heard a few times, 'how is that a convertible'? I get fond looks and compliments from many folks with the top down. I enjoy driving it as well as being a passenger. Move the front seat a notch or two and I'm comfortable in the back seat and I'm 6'2". I know there's room for 4 adult sized adults in this car. No room in the trunk with the top down? So what, there's plenty of room in the back seat. Mustang can't say that!

Favorite Features

one button top up/down (no latches to pull); heated seats; onstar and xm radio; tilting and telescoping steering wheel; adjustable foot pedals; steering wheel mounted radio and cruise controls; lighted controls.

Suggested Improvements

Improving the fuel economy a smidge would make this car perfect.