Used 2008 Pontiac G6 Consumer Reviews - 107 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Pontiac G6

View reviews for a specific G6 model:

Never kept a car 7 years before my 2008 G-6
By candy

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

In 2009 I was looking to replace my 2000 2 dr Grand Prix with a nice sporty sedan with a V-6. My used car dealer called and said he had the car for me but I had to come look at it. He told me it was prior salvage title with only 14,000 miles on it but he wanted me to see the damage before it went to the body shop. Light hit right front fender, no frame damage. We decided whoever the previous owner was must have worked for or been related to someone at the insurance company as there was no way this should have been prior salvage! The body shop I selected did an awesome job at matching the paint. Beautiful burgundy with subtle metallic. I now have 107,500 miles on this car. I've owned it since April 2009 and I have never done anything to this car except put new tires on it (the original tires lasted until it had about 65,000 miles on them) and have the oil changed every 3000 miles. Never had any motor problems, (not even funny noises) or tranny or other issues. Loved the way the V-6 responded as I am a bit of a lead foot driver. Still, mileage was pretty decent, city/hwy averaged about 21 mpg and strictly hwy driving averaged about 25-26. Maybe less than estimated but better than the Grand Prix. When washed and waxed this car still looks gorgeous! The only drawback on the interior was the fabric seats. They showed stains from just plain bottled water, not happy about that. Otherwise it had plenty of room up front in the bucket seats, back seat was roomy and comfortable and the trunk also had plenty of space to haul stuff around, and I did! It has pretty much all the electronics and extra features you could want including the electric sunroof. (it was not the accordian type I had seen sitting on a lot when I first started looking.) Now that I have over 100,000 miles it has developed a few rattles but still rides great. Too bad GM isn't still making the G-6 as I would purchase another one in a minute!

Stylish, fast and comfortable!
By Paige A

2008 Pontiac G6 Value Leader 4dr Sedan w/1SV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Low gas mileage. Head room is average, so if you are tall this is not your car! Looks great with top up and down. I get a lot of compliments and head turns because there aren't many of them out there! It is fun to drive and the sound system is great. Getting in and out of the backseat is difficult, but this is not a car you buy for a family or for frequent trips with groups. Getting groceries is ok with the top up, but of course with the top down the groceries have to go in the back seat because the top is in the trunk. Surprisingly good trunk space with the top up though! Overall this is a great convertible and the hard top is a great thing for those of us with cats! The only negative is that the trunk is very heavy because of the roof lift mechanism, and the trunk eventually "wears out" in that it won't stay up when you lift it. A friend with the same car said it is very expensive so e to fix that so you just live with it.

Nice ride
By Cindy L

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I had my G6 almost 5 years & put a lot of miles on it due to my commute and l loved if. My husband wants to keep me in a car under warranty so we just traded it. I am sad!
The car drove extremely well. I put over 140000 miles on with no major problems. It was a very nice car. Pontiac needs to come back!

4 Car Pile up
By Sam

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drove my '08 G6 GT for exactly two years (to the day) before any major mechanical repairs were needed (I had to replace the engine but it was due to the mechanics error, not the car). In general the car is a great car but what really got me was the safety. I always swore if I got in an accident in that car I would be dead or extremely injured, due to the bucket seats and the car sitting so low. Last month I was in a 4 car pile up on a highway 301. I was the middle vehicle (the smushed one) and had an F-150 slam full force into the back of me and ultimately on top of me. Because of the body of the car the trunk actually caught the F-150 and stopped it from going any further on top of my car (opposed to a Honda Civic or Toyota Camry which the truck would have driven right over and crushed the backseat). Although the car was totaled (obviously, I was SMUSHED BAD) it did everything it needed to. The engine shut itself down to prevent a fire from a gas leak or anything else, the underneath of the car took most the damage from the front, opposed to smashing everything into the dash. Not a single window broke. Right after the accident everyone involved got out, including myself, and just stared at the car in amazement that it held up the way it did. I never write reviews or go to the extent of doing this but it's the least I could do for the car. Hands down I would buy the car 100x times over. I miss it SOOOOOO much. I've been test driving all different cars and have been in 3 different rentals since and nothing compares to it. Everything about it was great (minus a few electrical issues like windows rolling up or down or random lights coming on and off but that's a GM thing and those issues usually fixed themselves over a course of 24 hours or so). Plus, for all the fellow lead footers out there, the acceleration is great but it also maintains speed very well.

Hold on tight, its a wild ride!
By Hordewar

2008 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

This is an extreamly great car for school, work, and just to either deck out or just drive. Its verry fun to drive and the fuel economy is the best ever compared to my old 85 s-10, it had a v6 2.8l but it was a mess, this car saved me and its awesome.