Used 2008 Pontiac G6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific G6 model:

Good so far
By luck5393

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We have had this car for a few weeks now. I do a lot of driving, and it has been a very good car in the few weeks we have owned it. I activated the XM radio in it, it tends to loose a signal when going under bridges or parked next to 3 story buildings. the engine is very responsive and the steering is tight. I bought it with about 91000 miles, so it has already been well broken in. The interior is roomy, and the back seat is very roomy for the size of car it is. One option that I wish it had was being able to pull down the 40/60 seats from the interior of the car and not just from the trunk.

Favorite Features

The monsoon sound system, and power steering

Suggested Improvements

Bluetooth connectivity

Awesome to/from car!
By sunaku89

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My dad purchased the car for my sister and I for school and EMS duties. Fun car to drive, great on gas mileage but some problems with the design and interior. Example, To get the headlight out to replace the light, you have to pull apart your flimsy (Extremely flimsy) bumper and the grill will pop out if you aren't careful. Mine now has a small crack now from me trying to replace the light bulb.There are also electrical issues that have melted my wires. The back locks are faulty and very often will not lock when you lock the car or unlock when you hit unlock. The seats are comfortable but you have to be careful about reaching behind the seat because you can pop the plastic out of place too.

Favorite Features

If you hit the brakes the radio turns itself down. Onstar helps when you get lost. Power mirrors since my sister and I have a noticeable high difference. Great breaks and gets up and goes in traffic.

Suggested Improvements

Make the headlights easier to get out, Less flimsy bumpers Fix the electrical and AC issue (ac apparently has been leaking into my Floor mats. I do not wish to get sick due to mold). Fix the lock issue so things can't be stolen. I am a college student and can only fix so much.

Like a G6 ;)
By clasokel89

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 3.5L G6 V6 for two years now and bought it with 41,000 mi on the od, it now has 72,000 mi. The only problem I've had drivetrain wise were a 2 month old set of Bosch Platinum 4-post spark plugs failing me one after another (wouldn't recommend them). I average about 21.5 mpg due to mostly stop and go but at low traffic times I get about 18 city and bested 31 hwy on a trip from Tx to WI with family. At about 65,000 mi the steering started clunking due to the intermediate steering shaft which I had replaced and the rear passenger side door lock stopped working, other than that I've had no problems with the car. Its quick when you need to blast onto the highway 0-60mph in 6.2sec

Favorite Features

Adjustable lower lumbar support for driver, Info display with instantaneous mpg and average mpg, oil viscosity life meter, tire pressure, 2 trip meters, song title display and 5 disc Pioneer stereo with mp3 slot. I like the red luminescent glow throughout the cockpit at night as well as the theater dimming interior lights. This car handles very well, I recently was in a near collision on the interstate when a car was deflected off a pickup with a cattle guard next to me in the right lane and veered in front of me! I fried the tires when it happened; traffic was going 70 but I managed to get around him on the inside shoulder within a split second and didn't make contact with the vehicle.

Suggested Improvements

Brakes are adequate for daily driving but when you want to push it the heat build up tends to cause brake fade prematurely for a sport sedan. The engine is quick reving and torquey up to 4500 rpm but the 4 speed tranny is not a good match. Put a close ratio six speed in this with a K&N filter and bump the power to 260HP (instead of 225hp) and 2008 and older V6 mustangs will be looking at your taillights. I was side by side with one up to 90mph on the strip. Speeking of which, this car WILL BEAT a 2011 Mazdaspeed 3 turbo and a 2011 Kia Forte Koup easily for anyone who thinks a G6 is slow. All in all its a good, dependable, AMERICAN MADE car. Sad to see GM phase out the Pontiac legacy..

Not very Fuel Friendly
By ballbreaker910

2008 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 44k to replace a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant with 203,000 miles. It came equipped with a sunroof, remote starter, aux jack and onstar. Was excited to purchase this car especially since GM boasted that this car would get over 32 mpg hwy which was where this car would spend most of its time. However I was only able to get 17 mpg combined. I spoke to 3 GM mechanics & was sold a load of crap about winter air causing loss of fuel economy and trying to use Hess or Shell gas to get better gas mileage. Nothing worked. GM would do nothing to assist. This 4cyl car was a gas-guzzler. I also own a 2005 Grand Prix (V6) that gets way better gas mileage. Other than that, I liked it

Favorite Features

Onstar, Remote Starter, Aux Jack, sunroof and 17 inch tire

Suggested Improvements

There is no more Pntiac but this car is a replica of the Mlibu. The gas mileage needs to be addressed

Less than I expected
By veritas57

2008 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Quality that is. Purchased this car from a dealer with only 18,000 miles. Could have chosen a model with the V6, but chose the 2.4 Eco. MISTAKE! This car can't get out of it's own way, especially with the AC on. Had the car 2 months now, and it's been a big disapoinment. Been in for a steering rod replacement, twice. Other issues include a rattling sun roof shade, annoying vibration and hum at 2400 rpm, low quality dash, poor ergonomics with the armrests being too low. Don't get the 2.4 if you're use to a V6. You'll be disapointed. And the gas mileage averages 25 mpg for combination 70/30 hwy/city driving. I got the same with a Buick LeSabre with a 3.8 V6. Finally, lots of engine noice insid

Favorite Features

Pretty decent sound system. Dependable handling but not sportscar material

Suggested Improvements

Put some more torque into the 2.4. Give it some power.