2008 Pontiac G6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G6 model:
Awesome to/from car!
By sunaku89 on 08/10/13 01:54 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My dad purchased the car for my sister and I for school and EMS duties. Fun car to drive, great on gas mileage but some problems with the design and interior. Example, To get the headlight out to replace the light, you have to pull apart your flimsy (Extremely flimsy) bumper and the grill will pop out if you aren't careful. Mine now has a small crack now from me trying to replace the light bulb.There are also electrical issues that have melted my wires. The back locks are faulty and very often will not lock when you lock the car or unlock when you hit unlock. The seats are comfortable but you have to be careful about reaching behind the seat because you can pop the plastic out of place too.

Like a G6 ;)
By clasokel89 on 11/16/12 20:51 PM (PST)

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned my 3.5L G6 V6 for two years now and bought it with 41,000 mi on the od, it now has 72,000 mi. The only problem I've had drivetrain wise were a 2 month old set of Bosch Platinum 4-post spark plugs failing me one after another (wouldn't recommend them). I average about 21.5 mpg due to mostly stop and go but at low traffic times I get about 18 city and bested 31 hwy on a trip from Tx to WI with family. At about 65,000 mi the steering started clunking due to the intermediate steering shaft which I had replaced and the rear passenger side door lock stopped working, other than that I've had no problems with the car. Its quick when you need to blast onto the highway 0-60mph in 6.2sec

Not very Fuel Friendly
By ballbreaker910 on 05/16/12 22:20 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 44k to replace a 2003 Mitsubishi Galant with 203,000 miles. It came equipped with a sunroof, remote starter, aux jack and onstar. Was excited to purchase this car especially since GM boasted that this car would get over 32 mpg hwy which was where this car would spend most of its time. However I was only able to get 17 mpg combined. I spoke to 3 GM mechanics & was sold a load of crap about winter air causing loss of fuel economy and trying to use Hess or Shell gas to get better gas mileage. Nothing worked. GM would do nothing to assist. This 4cyl car was a gas-guzzler. I also own a 2005 Grand Prix (V6) that gets way better gas mileage. Other than that, I liked it

Less than I expected
By veritas57 on 07/23/11 09:41 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Quality that is. Purchased this car from a dealer with only 18,000 miles. Could have chosen a model with the V6, but chose the 2.4 Eco. MISTAKE! This car can't get out of it's own way, especially with the AC on. Had the car 2 months now, and it's been a big disapoinment. Been in for a steering rod replacement, twice. Other issues include a rattling sun roof shade, annoying vibration and hum at 2400 rpm, low quality dash, poor ergonomics with the armrests being too low. Don't get the 2.4 if you're use to a V6. You'll be disapointed. And the gas mileage averages 25 mpg for combination 70/30 hwy/city driving. I got the same with a Buick LeSabre with a 3.8 V6. Finally, lots of engine noice insid

Truly Love my G6
By sharpay224 on 06/15/11 22:08 PM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G6 GXP 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I recently purchased a G6... truly love this car. It has power when I need it, but also can control itself. A past Mazda only ower, having a Millenia and a mazda 6, the pontiac G6 interior makes me happy, and its handleing is amazing. On the highway I have to control myself, and in the city, i find myself watching my speed. gas milagenis not great, but thats my only complaint. @ 3600 miles, I truly love my car.

Low Fuel Eonomy in town.
By krazzyh27 on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I just bought this car used from a rental dealership. I love the car except that I am getting terrible gas mileage in town! Only 13-15mpg. (I have an occasional lead foot.) On the highway, this car is superior, getting between 25-35mpg. I do 90% town driving though, so this is a little frustrating for me. I owned two older Ford Taurus before and this car handles much better but it is getting about the same game mileage as the dinosaurs I traded in on it. My husband and I are 5'8" and 5'9" and we have decent room in the front seat and my daughter is 5'10" and has just enough in the back seat. Not much room for extras. Car seats 4 comfortable, a 5th smaller person "touching arms".

Good performing sedan
By tim on 10/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G6 GXP 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I bought this car because I needed a four door car due to my expanding family. Didn't want a plain Jane car. I really love the styling of this car. It has everything I need. Power is great, plenty of room, decent gas mileage, when I keep my foot out of it. Had some steering noises in which the dealership fixed under warranty. This car proves driving to the grocery store doesn't have to be boring.

Pay me now or pay me later
By exriguy on 10/18/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

At 60k we have replaced various parts related to the transmission, brakes, power steering, CD changer etc. Key fob batteries stopped working within 6 months. Every now and again it simply refuses to start altogether and dealer can't duplicate the problem. We will replace the car as a "fix." We also have strut noises and rattles. Bottom line is that you will the pay the same in the long run as if you bought a Honda Accord by the time you factor in repairs and depreciation. You may get it for much less now, but in the long run you will pay the same and be miserable along the way.

Warranty issues
By madashell on 09/06/10 08:52 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G6 Value Leader 4dr Sedan w/1SV (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my car brand new - $19,000 + - paid cash. First year - awesome except radio replacement due to the buttons chipping - 2nd year, serpentine belt, u-joints. 3rd year - getting radio replaced AGAIN due to chipping. Seats are fading - was told it was due to the mileage - umm, 30k only. Have GM now involved - but they just want to give me a certificate for $4k off a new GM car. You are kidding right? I'm buying Ford and cannot wait until this radio is put in so I can get a decent private sale or trade in. What a joke - and what a thing for a dealer to say seats fade at 30k! No more GM for me!

I love my new G6 GXP
By Cisco Contreras on 08/18/10 08:20 AM (PDT)

2008 Pontiac G6 GXP 4dr Sedan (3.6L 6cyl 6A)

I've had Pontiacs in the pass but nothing comes even close to my new G6! I love the way it drives and how it handles. Wish there was a navigation with it but the interior looks are amazing! I am starting a new family and I couldn't made a better decision when buying a new car.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2008 Pontiac G6 in NJ is:

$215 per month*