Used 2007 Pontiac G6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2007 Pontiac G6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G6 model:

Not perfect, but very good!
By sailorbeavis

2007 Pontiac G6 GT 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought one of these cars off-season last year, fully loaded with the Monsoon stereo, heated leather and low mileage on the 3.9L upgraded V6. This is my mother's "fun car," replacing a workhorse S10 pickup. We test drove all sorts of cars, and were looking at a Miata when I found this at a local dealership. She fell in love with it at first sight and after driving it, had to have it. This thing moves like a scalded cat and the touring suspension soaks up the bumps great, even with the 18" wheels. The transmission is smooth and you can "row" the automatic if you want. We got it as a CPO with extended warranty, to hedge against any mechanical or electrical gremlins.

Favorite Features

Torque, torque, torque, and top-down fun. That's what this thing is all about. Although the styling is European, there is no air of haughtiness about this car, no premise of "luxury" although the leather seats are supportive and comfortable. It is a Pontiac - a cruiser with a little bit of attitude. It says to you, "C'mon. Hop in, put the top down, and let's go somewhere." I am surprised by how livable this car is. The cockpit is small for bigger drivers, but the power seats are great and there's plenty of legroom in back. Don't think of taking a family vacation in this car though - unless you want to carry your luggage on your lap. The trunk shrinks to nothing with the top down.

Suggested Improvements

None, since Pontiac is no longer in business. However, if I were to modify my own car to "fix" anything, it would be upgraded interior materials and a better stereo head unit. This car was more expensive than the Sebring but the Chrysler has better fit and finish overall. And it seems that very few manufacturers offered standard iPod / AUX jacks on their stereos until 2009 or so. The GM stereos integrate the Driver Information Center into the head unit, which means that upgrading is a pain. I have been told that the 2009 model stereo will work. We'll see.

No wonder Pontiac is out of Business...
By starlette46

2007 Pontiac G6 GT 2dr Coupe (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I would never buy one of these cars again, or refer anyone to buy one. I bought the car in March of 2010 with 30k miles on it. It was previously a leased car so I know the maintenance was kept on it. I replaced the tires, brakes, rotors all within a few months of owning the car. Pretty soon I replaced the water pump, tranny cooler lines, intermediate steering shaft, electric steering module, and some oil cooler lines. Just last week I had my car in the service department at my work, and all of my head gaskets needed to be machined and replaced, oil was leaking everywhere!! It was horrible, if I did not have an extended warranty if would have cost me close to $6,000 total for all of the work!

Favorite Features

I like the way the coupe and convertible models look, but thats about it.

Suggested Improvements

There are way too many to name. I work for a General Motors dealership and I would never buy another GM car after seeing all the things that go wrong with them in the shop.

Good car, Resale Not Good
By pontiacdude4

2007 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

2007 with 85,000 with no problems, minor issues. The engine rattles with AC on, steering wheel issues under warranty, radio knobs wear off. But the interior, although plasticky, lasts and the seats covers are durable. Seats are tough, not very comfortable, exterior styling is great, interior pretty good, too. Automatic start is great. Mileage is good, I have the 4 cylinder and get 25 overall (22/29??). For a 4 cylinder it's fast. Have XM Sirius which is awesome ($16/mo), I recommend it in any vehicle. Depreciation, though, is off the chart, I am very upside down. Best to buy this car used with 40-60,000 miles for like $7 grand.... I'm selling mine, taking a hit, getting nervous bout miles.

Right when they got it right.
By Ryan

2007 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my G6 V6 for over 2 years now, I had one item replaced under warranty which was the transmission cooler lines because they started to leak at the fittings. I did have to replace my brakes prematurely but that is mainly because I bought it used with 19,000 km on it and it had sat in the lot for almost a whole year and the rotors got rusty. It drives great, gets good mileage, looks pretty good tinted out with black rims. The stock stereo is amazing except for the lack of an aux. input. One other mechanical issue I'm having is my left front strut already needs to be replaced (leaked out) @ 48,000 km. Definitely premature to the 80,000 km recommended replacement. Even so still happy!

Favorite Features

Inside and out the car looks sharp. Smooth suspension (when struts aren't leaking). More than sufficient power. Great stereo sound (bassy). Spacious interior. Very quiet ride.

Suggested Improvements

An all wheel drive option would be nice. Audio input jack on stereo.

Check Engine Light
By Karen

2007 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have owned my Pontiac for a year and a half. I love it. I do not love the problems. My check engine light goes on and off and the engine machines says it is fuses. We have had all those changed check eng light still on and still says fuses. Also my wipers stopped working and we do not know why. I have always bought a GM but now I am not so sure. My seat has already broke the water pump went what problems I am having. Should have bought a 1000 car instead of a 12000 car