2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G6 model:
A reason to buy elsewhere
By Ken Davis on 02/23/10 09:48 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The Pontiac G6 convertable is not a well made car. Since driving off the lot the roof has rattled,trim has come loose, paint quality is poor,and the muffler has developed leaks twice. However the engine and transmission have been trouble free.The 1st year of ownership resulted in at least six weeks in the dealer for the mentioned quality issues. Complaints through customer service resulted in a waste of time as no one really cared. Having owned many GM products in the past it comes as no suprise that the company's lack of quality and customer service resulted in the demise of the Pontiac brand. No one wants the cars and I have, as we all do the ability to buy elsewhere that is not GM.

Don't Make Our Mistake
By ddd017 on 05/07/09 03:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Ugh. We wanted to buy American but the G6 2-door convertible is a mistake we will not make again. We have not even finished paying off the 3-year loan and can't wait to get rid of it! Just had the entire exhaust system replaced ($1200!), we've had 3 flat tires (driver side back tire) and numerous trips for the rattles. Horrible in snow, no tractionIt takes FOREVER to retract the hardtop & you lose the trunk if the top is down. The lower dash/glove compartment areas shows every little mark if you brush up against it. Horrible trying to get into the back seats. "Terrable, terrable, terrable" as Charles Barkley would say. DON'T make our mistake - RUN, RUN as fast as you can AWAY from this car.

A real lemon!
By brandi0521 on 08/20/08 08:29 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I just had to have this car when it came out. I've had it now for just over 2 yrs. This car is a piece of crap. I bought a lemon. It has been in the shop 8 times for stabilitrak. The pontiac dealership never made claims against my warranty, so never fixed it. I've since gotten it fixed. But they were scared it was going to cause my brakes to go out. So now I've had to pay out of pocket for front and back brakes. I've purchased Extended Warranty. I now have a hole in my muffler that isn't covered on that. Yesterday I went to open my top and the back part opened and the top went up and fell back down. Lots of squeaks and rattles that the dealer can't fix. Truly a LEMON!

A great combination
By psp711 on 07/16/08 16:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I hadn't owned a Pontiac in years, but had some wonderful GM products in the past. This sporty, roomy car offers me the best of all worlds. The quiet of a hard top. The joy and sportiness of a convertible. The comfort and space of a luxurious automobile. And ECONOMY! I honestly get 20-22 mpg driving around town in stop and go driving. And on the highway I can count on 32 mpg. This is as good as many mini cars--and I'm surrounded by all this luxury and convenience. This car has been a joy to drive, has plenty of power and people often stop me to ask me what kind of car it is--especially when the top is down. Great car, have had no problems and economical too.

What a great car
By Massage Tom on 04/18/07 20:38 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I drove one of these convertibles as soon as I could find one and fell instantly in love. Had to wait six months to find one slightly used, but it was well worth the wait. Drove it 2000 miles home from where I purchased and it was a perfect trip. Great ride, great responsiveness, comfortable and much more economical than I would have imagined with such good performance. I get between 31 and 32 mpg out on the Interstate. The interior is very roomy for four with lots of leg room. I have driven sporty Pontiacs off and on over the years and this is the absolute best. I saved more than $40,000 by not buying a similar Lexus and have better ride and lots more room.

My get away
By Bob W on 01/05/07 22:21 PM (PST)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GT 2dr Convertible (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Rides and handles like a sport car. Pleased with the aerodynamics with top down. You can carry on conversation with passenger at high speeds with out yelling.

I'm a believer now
By CaliBuckeye on 11/18/06 01:06 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've always wanted a convertible. I grew up in Ohio, and now live in California. I figured there was no better place to finally take the plunge and buy a convertible, but I did not want a ragtop. This was the perfect mix of indulgence and practicality. The back seats are big enough for my Child Seat and booster seat (I have a 6 and 3 yr. old) and they LOVE it! Finally, a convertible that can actually be functional with kids! I got the 3.9 liter GTP and it's a blast. Good power and handling, and very fun to drive. I constantly get flattering comments from people when they see it, and most (including myself) have a hard time believing it's a Pontiac! I highly recommend this car.

New Toy
By Chuck Schroder on 09/14/06 06:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is one fun car to drive. I live in New England and had a rag top for a couple of years and found that it was really difficult to take care of because of the weather, so I was not looking for another convertible. When I saw this one and read up on the stats, I decided to try one more time. I am real impressed with the comfort of the ride.With the optional wind screen installed (which only takes 10 minutes) the wind is minimal. I agree with other people about the switch for the hard top and they should consider an optional auto dimming mirror.

Finally a good product innovation
By DAVE on 09/07/06 03:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Pontiac division has been needing a new product line to bring it back from its stagnant ho-hum stylings. I've bought Pontiacs in the past for improved style, comfort and roominess but had been shied away until this hardtop convertible came out. I like the idea of being able to either have a hardtop or convertible, like two cars in one. The hardtop doesn't leak water as in most convertibles tend to have and is much warmer inside in colder weather. The remote control start feature works great on days when it's cold outside and you don't want to sit in a cold car waiting for it to warm up. The heated seat feature warms up faster than on other cars. The GTP has more styling over the GT models.

I love this car
By pam on 08/12/06 09:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 Convertible GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

What sold me on this car was the hardtop convertable. It performs amazingly well for the price. It has great pick-up. I love the sporty look inside. It does look plasticy, vinyl inside the door instead of leather trim. But where they chose to cut corners in order to acheive the affordable price was right on. It rides smoothly. The retractable top is so cool. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to hold the button in until it is complete, and the placement of the button is overhead by the map light. So you have to hold your hand up. It would be much more comfortable if the had it by the gear shift. And there is absolutely NO trunk space when the top is down, minimal when it is up

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.