2006 Pontiac G6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G6 model:
A reason to buy elsewhere
By Ken Davis on 02/23/10 09:48 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

The Pontiac G6 convertable is not a well made car. Since driving off the lot the roof has rattled,trim has come loose, paint quality is poor,and the muffler has developed leaks twice. However the engine and transmission have been trouble free.The 1st year of ownership resulted in at least six weeks in the dealer for the mentioned quality issues. Complaints through customer service resulted in a waste of time as no one really cared. Having owned many GM products in the past it comes as no suprise that the company's lack of quality and customer service resulted in the demise of the Pontiac brand. No one wants the cars and I have, as we all do the ability to buy elsewhere that is not GM.

A real lemon!
By brandi0521 on 08/20/08 08:29 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I just had to have this car when it came out. I've had it now for just over 2 yrs. This car is a piece of crap. I bought a lemon. It has been in the shop 8 times for stabilitrak. The pontiac dealership never made claims against my warranty, so never fixed it. I've since gotten it fixed. But they were scared it was going to cause my brakes to go out. So now I've had to pay out of pocket for front and back brakes. I've purchased Extended Warranty. I now have a hole in my muffler that isn't covered on that. Yesterday I went to open my top and the back part opened and the top went up and fell back down. Lots of squeaks and rattles that the dealer can't fix. Truly a LEMON!

I'm a believer now
By CaliBuckeye on 11/18/06 01:06 AM (PST)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I've always wanted a convertible. I grew up in Ohio, and now live in California. I figured there was no better place to finally take the plunge and buy a convertible, but I did not want a ragtop. This was the perfect mix of indulgence and practicality. The back seats are big enough for my Child Seat and booster seat (I have a 6 and 3 yr. old) and they LOVE it! Finally, a convertible that can actually be functional with kids! I got the 3.9 liter GTP and it's a blast. Good power and handling, and very fun to drive. I constantly get flattering comments from people when they see it, and most (including myself) have a hard time believing it's a Pontiac! I highly recommend this car.

New Toy
By Chuck Schroder on 09/14/06 06:35 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This is one fun car to drive. I live in New England and had a rag top for a couple of years and found that it was really difficult to take care of because of the weather, so I was not looking for another convertible. When I saw this one and read up on the stats, I decided to try one more time. I am real impressed with the comfort of the ride.With the optional wind screen installed (which only takes 10 minutes) the wind is minimal. I agree with other people about the switch for the hard top and they should consider an optional auto dimming mirror.

Finally a good product innovation
By DAVE on 09/07/06 03:57 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Pontiac division has been needing a new product line to bring it back from its stagnant ho-hum stylings. I've bought Pontiacs in the past for improved style, comfort and roominess but had been shied away until this hardtop convertible came out. I like the idea of being able to either have a hardtop or convertible, like two cars in one. The hardtop doesn't leak water as in most convertibles tend to have and is much warmer inside in colder weather. The remote control start feature works great on days when it's cold outside and you don't want to sit in a cold car waiting for it to warm up. The heated seat feature warms up faster than on other cars. The GTP has more styling over the GT models.

I love this car
By pam on 08/12/06 09:36 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

What sold me on this car was the hardtop convertable. It performs amazingly well for the price. It has great pick-up. I love the sporty look inside. It does look plasticy, vinyl inside the door instead of leather trim. But where they chose to cut corners in order to acheive the affordable price was right on. It rides smoothly. The retractable top is so cool. The only thing I don't like about it is you have to hold the button in until it is complete, and the placement of the button is overhead by the map light. So you have to hold your hand up. It would be much more comfortable if the had it by the gear shift. And there is absolutely NO trunk space when the top is down, minimal when it is up

Finally an Affordable HT Convertible
By convertible on 07/29/06 08:46 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

We live in Chicago, so Convertibles would be fun, didn't seem logical. Didn't like the idea of a Cloth top in the winter, drafts, poor insulation etc. Hardtops were to expensive. The design is rich, looks great. You can see where they cut corners to keep the cost affordable, but its not terrible. I miss the memory seat, home link, and leather trim on the doors. But you can live with it. Having the retractable button overhead is uncomfortable also cause you have to keep it depressed til it is complete. Holding your hand over your head even though it's not that long, about a minute, feels alot longer. Absolutely NO trunk space, even with the top up. But does seat 4 comfortably. We love it.

Great Car!
By walc on 06/28/06 15:27 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Hardtop Convertible with the premium package. I love it! IMO, the GTP is definitely worth the extra $, for more horsepower and features. The hardtop works perfectly and fit and finish are top notch. Pickup, ride and handling are excellent.

Fun car
By candy on 06/23/06 20:00 PM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

This car is the most fun car to drive. Handles beautifully in all weather conditions, hugs the road. Quiet with the top up. Comfortable. Just can't wait to get in it every day.

WOW!!
By Tony Young on 06/04/06 10:31 AM (PDT)

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Convertible (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

GM nailed this one!! Look at the styling of the car, especailly from the rear, and it is as good or better than the Lexus or Porche. Hardtop convertible? Nothing touches it for the money. Quality? WOW! Innovation? Watch how the hardtop convertible works - then you will know. Forget about all you preconceived ideas if you don't think much of Pontiac. I did - and I am soooooo glad. I found out that I don't have to spend 60 to 80 K to get what I really want. I see the light! Thanks Pontiac!

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.