Used 2006 Pontiac G6 GTP Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Pontiac G6 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Pontiac G6

View reviews for a specific G6 model:

06 GTP is piece of crap!!!!
By chuck203

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Coupe (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

the 1st yrs i had this car is what great, but then the flood waters opened, at 49.000miles major oil leak, had that repaired, i have replaced brakes and rotors 3 times in 2 yrs, had 2 replace tire rods and ball joints, car still shakes when u brake, passenger side headlight keeps blowing out, c d player, quit working, Gm wants 600.00 4 a new 1 & 2 top it all off transmission has went out all with less than 100.000 miles on it...I c why pontiac went Under!!!

great car for a better price
By bigmatt87

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Coupe (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

since people that dont know about cars are scared to buy pontiacs, this car is cheap. i got mine with 64k miles and ive put 3k on it. love this car. not great on gas due to gearing but i put an intake on it and it helps. love the handling. its firm but not uncomfortable. engine is amazing other then the electronic throttle...not a fan. i like my throttle cable just fine and didnt see a need for electronic. everything works great and this car is just so pretty.

Favorite Features

engine. wheels. body. seats. stereo. suspension

Suggested Improvements

get an intake for it. you'll get 2-3 mpg better on the highway

I bought a lemon
By donna

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Coupe (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car 3/2006, brand new, and I have experienced several problems with this car. 2 years ago there was a loud noise coming from the engine and I went to the dealer on 3 occasions and eventually they fixed it. This Saturday while driving, the car just stopped with no warning, in the middle of traffic, on Crenshaw Blvd. I complained to the corporate office the 1st time about the noise and complained about it this time. I was told by the dealer that the engine was frozen and that I needed to pay for them to take the engine apart to see what was wrong. I paid for an extended warranty and smartcare, and I am still being held responsible. I did everything that I was supposed to do. Danger!

Nothing but troubles
By dre256

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Coupe (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Very nice car, but had nothing but issues on it from day one. Biggest issue is the 3900, the head gasket just leaks and leaks. Dealership made it worse, GM told me to sue dealership. Had my mechanic repair head, stop leaking for 6 months and still leaks. Wasn't for the engine issue I would love this car for years. One big complaint, I feel the seats are too stiff for long rides and need several seat adjustments. But body is very nice and slick, and this car performs well 0-60 in a tad over 6 seconds. Fuel economy average is 18 city and 23 hwy. Don't know how got a 26 MPG hwy ratting, I never have hit that even with car never going over 2500 RPM from a stop.

Favorite Features

GTP embroidered on the seats, heated seats, and remote start.

Suggested Improvements

4 spd auto was dated when new in 06 and shouldn't have come with that transmission. The 07 GTPs do get the 6spd auto.

No wonder they stopped making pontiacs
By Brian

2006 Pontiac G6 GTP 2dr Coupe (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I brought my car to the dealership to get 4 things done. Oil change, replace windshield, fix my back seat b/c it wasn't going down, and fix my break lights. My break lights were reversed. They would always be on and when I hit the breaks they would go off. Really safe. They had my car for over a week and didn't give me a rental. When I got it back 2/4 things were done. They forgot to replace the windshield and never fixed the back seat. A couple months later, the break lights reversed again. I'm a school teacher and if 25% of my students were passing I'd be fired.