2005 Pontiac G6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G6 model:
great looking car, not so great quality
By Disappointed buyer on 02/07/09 11:39 AM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased my Pontiact G6 new. Loved the look but disappointed in workmanship. Was back at dealer during the 3 year warrenty period many times. 4 Paneled sunroof took several trips to dealer to fix major rattle. Kept the car a week. 3 years later roof rattles again. Check engine light comes on about every 6 months. Changed sensors several times.Plastic parts on doors, windows constently rattle. Stereo speakers needed replacement. Biggest problem is with steering on cold days. Recall work done has not solved it. Love the car but Pontiac needs to get their act together and stand behind their workmanship! I might have to buy Japanese cars next time if they don't get their act together!

Do not buy this car
By Beth on 01/27/09 14:36 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought a used G6 GT last March and have had nothing but problems with car. First the paint started to chip off the car. Then the break lights started to work opposite (not consistently) which made it almost impossible to have fix. I ended up buying a new BCM (600.00 computer) at 34K. After this, my CD changer broke and I had that replaced. I also replaced the brake pads and both outer tierods and tires (which wore out because of the tierods). Now the power shifts when the car is driving. The lights on the dash will surge to the radio and the rest of the vehicle. The radio will also shift from one side to the other. All in 10 months.

Horrible
By Lala on 01/16/09 17:42 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my G6 and at first loved it, until it snowed. These are the worst cars to drive in the snow ever! Battery went dead and now the cd player is broke. I will have to buy a new cd player for $350. I hate everything about this car, cloth seats are horrible and very uncomfortable.

Good Daily Commuter
By Kurt on 11/16/08 10:50 AM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I traded in the SUV and bought this car for a high mileage commute. I could not fit comfortably in the sub compact models available at the time and ended up purchasing a used G6. I have put 70,000 miles on my G6 since July of 07. I bought the vehicle with the driver package (XM, 6 way seat, fog lights, power pedals). I drive mainly open interstate and get about 29 MPG average which I think is pretty good based on the size and power of the vehicle. I have had the car in the shop for warranty fixes on the XM radio and the electric power steering (69 k almost missed factory warranty extension for this known problem). I currently have 96k miles on the vehicle and have had no other problems.

attention getter
By attention getter on 10/18/08 22:46 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

i bought my G6 in Feb of this year. i love the looks and features of my car i have a GT gets people attention with my panoramic sunroof. Have had a few problems wit it at 33,000 my coolant reservoir fell out of place and melted and now at 46K my steering pops,my headlight has moisture in it and the driver side back door window switch fell out of place but other than that i love my car fun to drive

unsatisfied
By unsatisfied on 09/25/08 13:34 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Since i bought my car in Dec. 2007 it has been in the shop multiple times for almost every reason possible. I Do NOT believe that Pontiac took time to make sure the quality was up to par before putting it on the market. My seat has broken so when i drive i sit sideways, my fuel pump has gone out, had to get new smart start software, you name it I've had it replaced or fixed!

Could be great if GM really tried
By K W on 07/17/08 21:09 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I'm at the end of a 3 year lease on my G6. The car has, at times, been quite fun to drive but at others it has been completely maddening. I've already replaced the rack & pinion once, the 6 cd changer once, and the brakes have been problematic from the start, from squeals to shudders. Electrical issues are popping up now, and I just hit 27k on my car. This car drives and handles like a dump truck. Replacing the stock tires with helped, but not completely. Car has been to the dealer several times but nobody wants to find out what is causing the suspension/brake issues. Won't buy GM for a while, and I've been a fan all my life.

So far
By Cathy on 07/17/08 18:37 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

2005 G6, I've always liked the look of them so bought one this past month. At this time I'm glad I bought a Pontiac, always been a Honda lady! But after having 2 different transmissions go out on them American made for me this time. Love the feel and the roof love it, opens up 4 times. I would like a new one one day!

Totally awesome!
By jls25466 on 06/20/08 20:59 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car last night, and I am nothing but impressed. I saw a commercial for it, and I had to have one. I traded a truck and was afraid of losing space, but I did not lose a thing! This car handles great and is so much fun to drive!

new till now
By Canuck on 05/28/08 06:46 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Had for Sunfires and son totaled the one that was paid off. Needed a car and was glad I stepped up to the G6. After reading many reviews I can agree with most all. Love it and fun to drive; drove across Canada 5 times. As well experienced many of the problems - Electric steering had to be replaced (warranty), brakes need new rotors, or at least turned spring and fall. I do myself so more just a pain. During the winter the inside of the windshield freezes. Oil changes have been regular when told by the info center; about every 7000 miles. No problems driving in heavy snow (Canadian 30 cm - about 12 inches) with OEM tires. Many 4x4's were getting stuck; might be more driving ability.