Used 2005 Pontiac G6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific G6 model:

Love my baby!
By katiek239

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my G6 in March and have put 3k on it so far. I bought it with 94k, and only had one owner who replaced pretty much everything that goes out at that high of mileage. I've had zero problems since I've bought it except my windshield cracked and I had to replace it. It's got all the features, 3.6L V6 engine, monsoon stereo, 6 CD changer, fog lights, power pedals, chrome wheels, etc. Definitely a head turner. It's a very sporty fun car for a daily commute. It's my first nice car I've ever owned and I'd definitely recommend for someone who is looking for a nice, cheap, sporty car.

The sporty look, the chrome wheels, the features, the monsoon stereo, the optional onstar and XM satelite radio, the all-weather floormats.

There's a little rattle and it's not very smooth going over bumps. My steering column is starting to have a clunking noise even though the sway bar was just replaced, and the alignments a little off. But never had any major problems yet.

The first 5 years were great, now it's falling apart!
By charlesp2009

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2005 Pontiac G6 GT for more than 5 years now and while I loved the car at first, the last year has been less than ideal. Once the odometer passed 80,000 miles, several expensive repairs popped up, and the future doesn't look bright. Searching the web reveals that I am far from alone with these problems; and GM's recent history from the bailout to Pontiac's untimely demise makes it all the more frustrating. While it's a nice looking car, and fairly fun to drive, the reliability seems like it will be a serious issue as the car ages, and there are safer, better performing, and more reliable options from the Germans and Japanese...

Great looks, remote start, cheaper than the competition when I bought it, good Monsoon sound system with XM satellite radio, good fuel economy for a V6.

No 5-speed or 6-speed automatic transmission and a somewhat primitive pushrod V6 engine means the G6's performance and fuel economy lags behind import competition of the era. The steering creaks and pops unless you constantly lubricate steering components. Some of the interior plastic is too cheap and wears out quickly. Bad mechanical build-quality is becoming evident as the car ages. (Elbow joint plastic tubing for the fuel system cracked and began leaking on top of the gas tank required replacing the entire fuel pump assembly. Timing chain cover gasket developed a coolant leak. Oil leak developed at oil filter assembly adapter). I don't abuse the car but it's still falling apart!

Garbage. Please do NOT buy!
By prouddaddy19

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car from a local dealership closeby back in early Sep/2011. I loved it. It was the nicest car I've ever had. Has everything! 2 weeks later, electronic accel control goes out and the radio reads 'engine power reduced' Got that fixed. 1 week later it happens again. dealer says it was a faulty part so they fixed it. 2 weeks ago I noticed that when I press the brakes on the highway the car shakes horribly. Dealer says the alignment is good. Then last week I pull into aco-workers driveway, and the yellow wrench light comes on and says low coolant. Checked coolant and no problems. Right on the full line. Now today from coming out from wal-mart, starter seized. DONT buy this car! LEMON!!

Responsive engine. Fast car. Sporty. Leather seats. 5 disk CD changer. Panoramic roof (that leaked)

anything and everything.

I'll NEVER buy a Pontiac again.
By graceangeleve

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven this car for 5 years, so I know what I'm talking about. My car has 70K miles on it, and I've had more problems with this car than ANY car I've ever owned. Essentially, everything under the hood has had to be replaced. Today they told me that my transmission is OUT, and I dont push or pull ANYTHING! Electronic steering is out, electrical problems GALORE, brakes are crap and constantly have to be replaced. (keep in mind, all of my miles are HIGHWAY miles ONLY!) I dont speed, dont drive crazy. I can say it's definitly pretty to look at and thats it. Even my seats are squeaky, so is the dash. Its horrible. Dont buy this car.

It looks nice. Literally everything else is crap.

Needs better engineering. The engine/transmission/brakes/sunroof/remote starter/all electrical (everything)/lights/steering/ball bearings/and callipers. Oh yea, and the entire Sound system is horrible. Literally have had mine replaced 3 times, all under warranty, and the third one which all of a sudden is no longer covered, is doing the same thing all 3 others did.

Never buying american made again.
By bob

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased one and all I have to say I will never buy a GM vehicle ever again. Im always on top of any maintenance and im not a crazy driver, this car has been a money pit, something breaks on it every 5000 miles, im on my third engine, and have had nothing but problems with the rest of the drive train. For the amount ive put in, to keep it going I could have bought a new car. next car will be a honda after seeing what American made can do. now I see why GM has had such low sales over the years.