2005 Pontiac G6 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G6 model:
Love My G6!
By G6 Fan on 07/02/10 16:56 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my G6! I've had it for 5 years now. It's at 75,000 miles and has not had any major problems whatsoever! The styling is beautiful, both inside and out! My only minor complaints about the interior are that the leather is fading a bit on the left-side edge of the driver's seat (I must sit extra hard on that side) and some of coloring on the radio dials is starting to fade just a tad. Mechanically speaking, it's been a great car! Lately, I've had an odd sound when braking, got it fixed before brake pads were adjusted or something, but now the noise has returned. But it's apparently no cause for concern. Despite these minor flaws, though, it's been a great car and is very fun to drive!

2005 G6 GT
By sms1 on 06/15/10 20:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first brand new car I've ever purchased and overall I've had nothing but headaches with it. The first thing to go was the stereo wiring within the first year, which was fixed under warranty. Then at 62,000 miles the timing chain in my engine broke. Thankfully a call placed to the GM customer center got my engine replaced for free even though the original warranty had expired. Last year I received a safety recall on it for brake light & cruise control issues, had that fixed and now a year later, I'm experiencing the same issues again with the brake lights. The only reason I've kept it this long is that the engine now is pretty new and it's almost paid for.

New Car
By Sam on 05/27/10 19:31 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car brand new with 12 miles on it, then we had to take it to the dealership twice with a problem of power steering going out, when we told them the doors leaked, they told us they could not help that, it was a problem that would take time due to not having parts. Within the next couple of weeks she got a letter in the mail that said an ignition starter had to be replaced. The car is still a pain in the butt, when it's raining the top lights leak the doors leak into the floor board, and currently I'm in the market for a new car because, i went to the dealership for the same power steering problem, and now the ABS box is fried. Do not purchase one. Worst decision we made!

Love/Hate Relationship
By I'm Indifferent on 04/28/10 21:11 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used with about 48,000 and am now at 118,000. I have had no major issues with this car. There are certain things that annoy me though. Occasionally if I insert the key and start the car right away it stalls. I call the dealership and they said that was "normal." As a result of that I have adapted to turning the key to ACC and letting the car "prepare" for a few seconds and then starting the car. Also the Cd changer reads "Cd changer error" at random times. If you need new brakes get them fast. Otherwise it feels as though the car can't support it's own weight! Other than that I have greatly enjoyed this car. I have taken many successful road trips and always get looks....

Not happy
By rick on 03/22/10 13:32 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car was great in the beginning, well maintained, but consistent front suspension rattling (repaired, but still exists) had to replace intake manifold, catalytic converter and now instrument panel cluster that controls gas gauge, tach etc. I called gm and the "violin" was playing. I work for gm (25 yrs.) and they do build quality products, but they forgot the most important word. "reliability." Just go to technical services bulletins and you will find all the problems. I've had too many problems that shouldn't be. Come on gm, listen to us or you'll lose me and others to you know who!

Nothing but PROBLEMS
By MissLaura on 03/21/10 20:14 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car in November of 2008. One month later it was in the shop for a leak in the sunroof. I opened my car door only to find the floorboards in the front SOAKED with about an inch of water. Took the dealership two times and about two weeks with leaving my car there to find out it was the sunroof leaking. Also the lights on the dash and cd player flashed on and off and the cd player would stop working about every other week. About two months after I bought it, I started it one day and my wheel was completely locked up. I had to re start my car in order for it to be okay again but no check engine light came on. Now a year later I am having power steering and vibrating issues

Very Shaky
By Robin on 03/09/10 16:53 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car used and had a 60 day warranty with it. When I first bought it the power steering was a little rough so they fixed that. Then I had to take it in 3 times after that because it would shake real bad on the highway. On the third time they told me my tires were wearing unevenly. I bought new ones. I've had to replace them and later had to replace them again. Now I'm on my second year and it still is shaking real bad. It is to the point I am scared of driving it. It makes a loud clunking noise in the front when I'm going around 55. I can't wait until I can afford to get rid of it. I used to love Pontiac but I'm kinda glad they don't make them anymore. I'm disappointed.

Great Car...At First.
By Jones on 02/14/10 22:23 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought the car with only 20k miles on it and when we bought it we did not like the idea of buying another Pontiac because of our previous 1996 Pontiac Grand Am. Basically the Grand Am was just renamed and remodeled into a G6 and still had the same reliablity issues.. So far, we have had the usual Pontiac tranmission replacment, steering column replaced and still having popping issues, cd player broken, keyless entry stopped working (even after replacing battery inside the remote), power steering failing while driving, constant brake issue and rotor warping. This car is fun to drive its not all bad, but Pontiac just covered their issues with a new body style. no improvement.

Will never buy Pontiac again!!!!
By Kristina on 12/27/09 23:01 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

When I first saw this car, I had to have it. It was sporty, roomy, and a good affordable price. Well, you get what you pay for!!! I have had to bring it in the shop several times....a ball joint and power steering column replacement, random lights bulbs go out all the time, keyless entry failed all of a sudden, belt replacement, shock replacement. I mean come on!!! The car isn't even that old. Might I add that I purchased the model with the panoramic sunroof...what a piece of crap. The noisiest ride ever. It is so loud I can barely stand it. I think it was cheaply made...looks good from the exterior, but runs like a cheap go-cart!! Thank god i bought an extended warranty

I will miss this car.
By rnu on 11/05/09 18:16 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I can't believe all the bad reviews of the G6 GT. I bought my car with 11k miles and am selling it with 61k. I have had no major problems whatsoever. I have loved this car. I am only getting rid of it because I need something bigger to haul twin babies. The G6 has been reliable, consistent, fun, and a car I have been proud to own. The gas mileage is incredible. I averaged well over 30 mpg on the highway. I only wish I could convince my husband to sell his truck so I could keep my car.