2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G6 model:
2005 G6 Gt 3.5
By brian231 on 08/14/13 23:04 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first new car I ever own. I had all the bells and whistles. I drove this car mainly on interstate twice a month to and from work 120 miles each way. In 8 years I put 63,000 on the car 90% interstate. Feul milage averaged 31mpg. It had plenty of power pulling mountains. Car was not good in snow if roads wheren't plowed good. Only issue where tires. Went threw multiple sets on rear until I found a good rubber combination. Had issues one time with sunroof leak that dealer fixed without issue. Only replaced brakes once at 50,000. Very good power to pull into traffic at interstate speed. Had radio info center repalced under warranty once.

Had this for 3 years no real issues
By patroness on 04/02/13 13:12 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My G6 2005 has 120,000 miles on it. Up til now I have only had to replace the tire, brakes, and battery. All of these things are due to be changed at its age. Tomorrow I am replacing a tie rod and a Control arm, both considered to be a wearable item. Given its mileage I think that there replacement is a no issue. I have no complaints other than the featureless radio and built in Info center. At 120, 000 miles my car still drives, looks, feels like new. I have a future plan to change out the stereo and say good by to the info display. I have in the past changed the transmission fluid, and I will do a spark plug and belt change all thing due at 100,000.

POS!!!!
By lane1085 on 09/18/12 10:21 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

bought this car almost 2yrs ago and have had nothing but trouble. number one it WONT drive through snow, 2 ive replaced the brakes twice, the air conditioning quit working, the tires though brand new wont hold air, the whole brake systems keeps locking up and has been put through diagnostics at two different shops and cannot find whats wrong, the panoramic sun roof leaks and is factory, the sun roofs drain drains in the drivers side floor, the doors leak,there is an oxygen sensor that we cant find that is bad, the flat piece with the speakers on it in the back window rattles, the 6 disc skips cd's, and finally the roof supports that frame the windows are huge and create massive blind spots!!

2005 G6 GT= too problematic
By 74anthony on 07/05/12 08:02 AM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car new. 80- 90% of mileage is highway milage. (32 miles to and from work) I had all required maintenance performed and never drove aggressively. 10,800 miles BRAKES....???/ front and rear, and speedometer issue 18,000 new battery..??? 1 yr later 37,000 BRAKES/ front and rear, Other/ lower intake gasket replaced All previous repairs were just inconvient. Warranty covered most of this. The following are all out-pocket 42,000 BRAKES (5000 miles later!!!) / front only 71,000 Front End / control arms LS & RS 75,00 Differentials seals replaced 78,000 Transmission / Gears blew through case Rebuild Req 88,000 BRAKES Again

Love my baby!
By katiek239 on 05/17/12 19:10 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my G6 in March and have put 3k on it so far. I bought it with 94k, and only had one owner who replaced pretty much everything that goes out at that high of mileage. I've had zero problems since I've bought it except my windshield cracked and I had to replace it. It's got all the features, 3.6L V6 engine, monsoon stereo, 6 CD changer, fog lights, power pedals, chrome wheels, etc. Definitely a head turner. It's a very sporty fun car for a daily commute. It's my first nice car I've ever owned and I'd definitely recommend for someone who is looking for a nice, cheap, sporty car.

The first 5 years were great, now it's falling apart!
By charlesp2009 on 03/14/12 17:36 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my 2005 Pontiac G6 GT for more than 5 years now and while I loved the car at first, the last year has been less than ideal. Once the odometer passed 80,000 miles, several expensive repairs popped up, and the future doesn't look bright. Searching the web reveals that I am far from alone with these problems; and GM's recent history from the bailout to Pontiac's untimely demise makes it all the more frustrating. While it's a nice looking car, and fairly fun to drive, the reliability seems like it will be a serious issue as the car ages, and there are safer, better performing, and more reliable options from the Germans and Japanese...

Garbage. Please do NOT buy!
By prouddaddy19 on 11/18/11 14:29 PM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I got this car from a local dealership closeby back in early Sep/2011. I loved it. It was the nicest car I've ever had. Has everything! 2 weeks later, electronic accel control goes out and the radio reads 'engine power reduced' Got that fixed. 1 week later it happens again. dealer says it was a faulty part so they fixed it. 2 weeks ago I noticed that when I press the brakes on the highway the car shakes horribly. Dealer says the alignment is good. Then last week I pull into aco-workers driveway, and the yellow wrench light comes on and says low coolant. Checked coolant and no problems. Right on the full line. Now today from coming out from wal-mart, starter seized. DONT buy this car! LEMON!!

I'll NEVER buy a Pontiac again.
By graceangeleve on 12/07/10 11:23 AM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven this car for 5 years, so I know what I'm talking about. My car has 70K miles on it, and I've had more problems with this car than ANY car I've ever owned. Essentially, everything under the hood has had to be replaced. Today they told me that my transmission is OUT, and I dont push or pull ANYTHING! Electronic steering is out, electrical problems GALORE, brakes are crap and constantly have to be replaced. (keep in mind, all of my miles are HIGHWAY miles ONLY!) I dont speed, dont drive crazy. I can say it's definitly pretty to look at and thats it. Even my seats are squeaky, so is the dash. Its horrible. Dont buy this car.

Never buying american made again.
By bob on 12/04/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased one and all I have to say I will never buy a GM vehicle ever again. Im always on top of any maintenance and im not a crazy driver, this car has been a money pit, something breaks on it every 5000 miles, im on my third engine, and have had nothing but problems with the rest of the drive train. For the amount ive put in, to keep it going I could have bought a new car. next car will be a honda after seeing what American made can do. now I see why GM has had such low sales over the years.

Great First Car!
By tco_1994 on 08/29/10 19:51 PM (PDT)

2005 Pontiac G6 Sedan GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought mine in June 2010 for my first car, it had 81,600 miles on it, I've had it two months and it's been great! and I don't drive it easy, its ramped a ditch and hit a field and nothing broke at all! my only complaint is the sunroof randomly opens as it pleases, and sometimes when it start it keep turning over instead of catching, but no big deal! I'm 6'2" and i have the seat only 1/2 way back and it adjust so that my head doesn't hit the ceiling. I always get compliments on the exterior of it, and that's always nice too:)