Used 2005 Pontiac G6 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Pontiac G6 - Consumer Reviews

2005 Pontiac G6

View reviews for a specific G6 model:

338,000 Miles, all original, still going strong!
By wuollet

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2006 G6 GT in 2007 with 16k miles on it. It currently has 338k miles, and still runs great! I changed spark plugs at 180k miles, and they weren't even bad, but just thought it was enough miles on them. One complaint is the suspension, for the last 200k miles, it makes lots of rattles in the suspension. I'm sure it's an easy fix, but it still works good. We did replace power steering around 250k miles. Other than that, we have had amazing reliability with this car. Just do regular maintenance, wash the car once in a while, and you'll have no problems. This is a MN car, and there's lots of salt on our roads in the winter, and the body is just about perfect still. Would buy again.

Favorite Features

The drivetrain. It is amazingly reliable. Wouldn't change it.

Suggested Improvements

I do think the interior was kind of slapped together, which was common in mid 2000's cars.

2005 G6 Gt 3.5
By brian231

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first new car I ever own. I had all the bells and whistles. I drove this car mainly on interstate twice a month to and from work 120 miles each way. In 8 years I put 63,000 on the car 90% interstate. Feul milage averaged 31mpg. It had plenty of power pulling mountains. Car was not good in snow if roads wheren't plowed good. Only issue where tires. Went threw multiple sets on rear until I found a good rubber combination. Had issues one time with sunroof leak that dealer fixed without issue. Only replaced brakes once at 50,000. Very good power to pull into traffic at interstate speed. Had radio info center repalced under warranty once.

Favorite Features

The power to weight ratio on this car is it's best feature. Plenty of power to get on a busy interstate and even get you in trouble if your not careful. Never had any issues with engine it's entire life. Transmition shifted a little slow but paddle shift worked well. Loved the leather seats with the heated feature. Extremely quiet ride and smooth. Loved taking the car on the mountain back roads near home. Handled curves a little weak but better than most

Suggested Improvements

The headlights have to be the worst part of the car. What you have to go threw to change a bulb is nuts and it is easy to damage the fenders. Some interior improvements needed. Arm rest do not match hieght so on long trips it hard to find ways to rest your arms comfortable.

Had this for 3 years no real issues
By patroness

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My G6 2005 has 120,000 miles on it. Up til now I have only had to replace the tire, brakes, and battery. All of these things are due to be changed at its age. Tomorrow I am replacing a tie rod and a Control arm, both considered to be a wearable item. Given its mileage I think that there replacement is a no issue. I have no complaints other than the featureless radio and built in Info center. At 120, 000 miles my car still drives, looks, feels like new. I have a future plan to change out the stereo and say good by to the info display. I have in the past changed the transmission fluid, and I will do a spark plug and belt change all thing due at 100,000.

Favorite Features

Passing others is a breeze. Looks great. Handles very well.

Suggested Improvements

Meh radio...why did they integrate the info center with that.

POS!!!!
By lane1085

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

bought this car almost 2yrs ago and have had nothing but trouble. number one it WONT drive through snow, 2 ive replaced the brakes twice, the air conditioning quit working, the tires though brand new wont hold air, the whole brake systems keeps locking up and has been put through diagnostics at two different shops and cannot find whats wrong, the panoramic sun roof leaks and is factory, the sun roofs drain drains in the drivers side floor, the doors leak,there is an oxygen sensor that we cant find that is bad, the flat piece with the speakers on it in the back window rattles, the 6 disc skips cd's, and finally the roof supports that frame the windows are huge and create massive blind spots!!

Favorite Features

the seats are comfortable and its roomy.

Suggested Improvements

DO NOT BUY!!! do yourself a favor

2005 G6 GT= too problematic
By 74anthony

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased this car new. 80- 90% of mileage is highway milage. (32 miles to and from work) I had all required maintenance performed and never drove aggressively. 10,800 miles BRAKES....???/ front and rear, and speedometer issue 18,000 new battery..??? 1 yr later 37,000 BRAKES/ front and rear, Other/ lower intake gasket replaced All previous repairs were just inconvient. Warranty covered most of this. The following are all out-pocket 42,000 BRAKES (5000 miles later!!!) / front only 71,000 Front End / control arms LS & RS 75,00 Differentials seals replaced 78,000 Transmission / Gears blew through case Rebuild Req 88,000 BRAKES Again

Favorite Features

Paint holds up well, good acceleration, roomy interior

Suggested Improvements

n/a