Used 2005 Pontiac G6 Consumer Reviews - 186 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific G6 model:

Don't buy car
By Caitlin

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car in Jan of 16, so this year and since then I have had to put in 2300$ into the car, it was sitting 178000 miles on it... I got it with a brand new alternator- then the recall for the ignition came along, so of course I had to replace that after a month of owning the car. Then put new struts shocks sway bar links. My head gasket blew when it to 190,000 and today exactly 8 months later from the day I bought the car, my transmission crapped out on me... I regret buying this car. Don't buy it

Going on 195k miles! It been a great car
By Ryan

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my pontiac with in 2010, it was 5 years old and had a very good maintaince history and 95k miles. It had just had its 100k tune up with new plugs wires fluids etc... It's been a great car I cannot complain at all. The car has fantastic power and the drive train Is very reliable so far. The interior is very nicely put together unlike some of its predecessors at at gm. After almost 200 k I have no tears in the seats, cracks in the dash, no paint coming off of switches or any of the sorts. The interior is one of the best interiors in my opinion. The dash is clean and straight forward, not busy like most newer cars which is not my style. Red led gauges illuminate cleanly unlike previous red interiors from gm. On the outside the quality seems to be just as good l. Paint still looks great and shines like new after 12 years. Suspension has been fair. It does handle very nice and is a comfortable car but it's had its problems which I will go into detail soon. Now for the problems. At 10k It developed a leak in the Hester core that was VERY expensive. 1200 to replace only to have the new one do the same (independent garage uaed au to zone parts o fear)..... the third Heater core has been good to me so far. At 160 k I had to replace the fuel pump as it had developed a crack in the line molded to the top of it. Pump still worked fine but required replacing the whole unit because of the tube. At 180 k I had to replace tie rod ends and left lower control arm but I believe this had to do with terrible oklahoma roads, not poor design. The steering column has a rattle when you hit a bump the I could never fix. Also the headlamps and connectors required rwplacing as thwy had corroded in the connector and shorted out. Last of all it has developed a small oil leak I noticed when changing the oil and I have yet to access and fix this problem. This has been the problems I have gotten so far. For a car I paid 8000 for I have probably put 2000 in repairs and have had almost 6 years I would call this a great buy. I love the car. I hope I get as lucky as the guy below me and make it to 338 k. I know for a car that is fantastic mileage

338,000 Miles, all original, still going strong!
By wuollet

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our 2006 G6 GT in 2007 with 16k miles on it. It currently has 338k miles, and still runs great! I changed spark plugs at 180k miles, and they weren't even bad, but just thought it was enough miles on them. One complaint is the suspension, for the last 200k miles, it makes lots of rattles in the suspension. I'm sure it's an easy fix, but it still works good. We did replace power steering around 250k miles. Other than that, we have had amazing reliability with this car. Just do regular maintenance, wash the car once in a while, and you'll have no problems. This is a MN car, and there's lots of salt on our roads in the winter, and the body is just about perfect still. Would buy again.

The drivetrain. It is amazingly reliable. Wouldn't change it.

I do think the interior was kind of slapped together, which was common in mid 2000's cars.

2005 G6 Gt 3.5
By brian231

2005 Pontiac G6 GT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This was the first new car I ever own. I had all the bells and whistles. I drove this car mainly on interstate twice a month to and from work 120 miles each way. In 8 years I put 63,000 on the car 90% interstate. Feul milage averaged 31mpg. It had plenty of power pulling mountains. Car was not good in snow if roads wheren't plowed good. Only issue where tires. Went threw multiple sets on rear until I found a good rubber combination. Had issues one time with sunroof leak that dealer fixed without issue. Only replaced brakes once at 50,000. Very good power to pull into traffic at interstate speed. Had radio info center repalced under warranty once.

The power to weight ratio on this car is it's best feature. Plenty of power to get on a busy interstate and even get you in trouble if your not careful. Never had any issues with engine it's entire life. Transmition shifted a little slow but paddle shift worked well. Loved the leather seats with the heated feature. Extremely quiet ride and smooth. Loved taking the car on the mountain back roads near home. Handled curves a little weak but better than most

The headlights have to be the worst part of the car. What you have to go threw to change a bulb is nuts and it is easy to damage the fenders. Some interior improvements needed. Arm rest do not match hieght so on long trips it hard to find ways to rest your arms comfortable.

Had this for 3 years no real issues
By patroness

2005 Pontiac G6 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My G6 2005 has 120,000 miles on it. Up til now I have only had to replace the tire, brakes, and battery.
All of these things are due to be changed at its age.
Tomorrow I am replacing a tie rod and a Control arm, both considered to be a wearable item. Given its mileage I think that there replacement is a no issue.
I have no complaints other than the featureless radio and built in Info center. At 120, 000 miles my car still drives, looks, feels like new. I have a future plan to change out the stereo and say good by to the info display.
I have in the past changed the transmission fluid, and I will do a spark plug and belt change all thing due at 100,000.

Passing others is a breeze. Looks great. Handles very well.

Meh radio...why did they integrate the info center with that.