2009 Pontiac G5 Consumer Review: Dependable Good Gas Mileage

2009 Pontiac G5 - Consumer Review

GT Coupe (2.2L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Dependable Good Gas Mileage
By shark0311 on

2009 Pontiac G5 GT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the bright red Pontiac G5 GT coupe with automatic transmission new. I purchased it with every available option, (IE: leather, sun roof, Pioneer XM stereo, heated seats, remote start, 17 inch tires). I drive a lot of highway miles to work and I wanted a car that got good highway gas mileage and looked sporty. I now have 135,000 miles. Original tires lasted to 98,000. Replaced rear brakes at 120,000. I haven't had to replace the front brakes yet. I change oil every 4,000 miles and have most routine maintenance performed. This car has met all my expectations.

Favorite Features

Sporty looks (many compliments), great gas mileage, peppy engine, good handling, low maintenance, very dependable, heated seats. Leather seats are holding up well. I've gotten as low as 22 mpg driving city in sub-zero winter months, and as high as 38 mpg driving all highway on an early summer morning. I average 32-36 MPG. Gas mileage decreases about 2 MPG for every 5 MPH you exceed 60 MPH. The G5 is a light weight car designed for high gas mileage which it accomplishes. You should not expect an ultraquiet, smooth, luxury ride.

Suggested Improvements

Getting into the rear seat can be difficult due to the placement of the front seatbelt shoulder strap. It could have been placed higher. Sun roof can "creak" at times (plastic on plastic sound) when going over bumps. Front passenger strut is not beefy enough. I've had it fail 2X's while making right turns into parkiing lots over small curbs. Visibility out of the rear window is not the best (along with other makes this vintage). Rear trunk while big, has a small access opening. I wish the headlights were brighter. If you can accept these quirks, it is a great little car.