2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific G5 model:
Dependable Good Gas Mileage
By shark0311 on 03/22/14 17:42 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the bright red Pontiac G5 GT coupe with automatic transmission new. I purchased it with every available option, (IE: leather, sun roof, Pioneer XM stereo, heated seats, remote start, 17 inch tires). I drive a lot of highway miles to work and I wanted a car that got good highway gas mileage and looked sporty. I now have 135,000 miles. Original tires lasted to 98,000. Replaced rear brakes at 120,000. I haven't had to replace the front brakes yet. I change oil every 4,000 miles and have most routine maintenance performed. This car has met all my expectations.

This car is freaking amazing.
By imprettychill1 on 12/01/13 21:54 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Wow, whoever wrote a bad review is totally wrong and has no idea. It made me realize that a lot of people out there will never be pleased no matter what. The Pontiac G5 is the best car I've ever owned, and my previous car was a six cylinder Lexus ES300. The G5 is small for sure, but it packs a serious punch that I never expected out of a car with a 4 cylinder engine. It's faster than my Lexus was and is way more fun to drive. In my opinion it's the best economy car on the market. Seriously, the dudes (or dudettes) who wrote bad reviews need to get their heads checked because the G5 is amazing. Just wish they were still being made. I would get a new one without any type of reservation.

G5 is FUN to Drive!
By timetodrive on 10/21/11 19:41 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Not only for teens, being a 60+ guy who wanted to try a stick shift again. Bought new, there is now over 18,000 miles on my G5 - all of it put on by me. It's a blast to drive. I'd forgotten how much punch a manual transmission provides compared to the non-premium automatics. The freeway on-ramps are fun again and driving in traffic is even much more interesting than driving an automatic. I've had absolutely no problems with the car. Mileage is over 28 mpg in town and over 35 on the highway - with regular gas and a fairly "heavy" foot. The ride is fairly quiet and comfortable. Finally, my wife loves to go out with me in our "sports car!"

I love my car
By mccannamn59 on 05/25/11 20:51 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

The pontiac g5 is the perfect car for a teenager whos trying to save some money on gas, and still drive a nice car.

I love my G5!
By Cakesa3 on 12/05/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My dad purchased me this car because I was transferring to a university and I needed a reliable car and I absolutely love it! I have had no problems (other than the steering defect recall which GM is replacing). This car is very fun to drive, handles well, and gets great gas mileage. It doesn't have the greatest horsepower, but will get and go. When it was purchased it had about 23,000 miles and it now has around 26,700. Nothing has been replaced. I plan to keep this car until it won't go anymore. I would recommend this car for a teenager/college student or just anyone who loves a small reliable car! I wish Pontiac didn't go under!

Unhappy with the G5
By Un Happy on 07/29/10 04:21 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

My 1st new car and it's been to the dealership 3 times for a clunk in the front end, which started around 7,000 miles. After replacing the rack and pinion, it still had the noise, it went back again and this time the inter. shaft and steering column was replaced, it no longer makes the noise (for now), but I have found 2 items not put back together correctly. I am not happy with the car, or the dealership I have it serviced at. The car handles bad and has since I got it, even with new tires it just doesn't handle well, I can see why the company went under!

Most fun car in 40 years
By stephen larson on 07/18/10 03:54 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This vehicle hugs the road, has great visibility, no factory defects and is fun to drive

great little car
By jerry c on 01/21/10 19:12 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

this car has been a great so far,love the trunk,our skis even fit inside with the seat folded down,milage has been very good always over 35mpg and as good as 42mpg with the 5 speed trans

Okay but not special
By tommyboy181 on 01/14/10 11:42 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Exterior styling is nice one the G5 but actual gas mileage is lower than I expected. Fit and finish is typical of a domestic lots of hard plastics. Not bad but not appealing either

First GM Buyer
By First GM Buyer on 12/21/09 19:18 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe GT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this car in July with warranty for 5 years or 40,000 miles. The drive is very comfortable however there is a noise problem with the steering wheel (it rattles every time you take a turn). At this moment car is mostly sitting in the garage. The dealer has already replaced the steering column but the noise is still there. GM refuses do anything more, but I am still fighting to get it fixed. I like every other feature though. Donít expect more in this price range, at least $4000 less than comparing Japanese models and the G5 has better features, look, fuel efficiency. I am not sure why GM took this brand off the market.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Pontiac G5 Coupe in VA is:

$138 per month*