Used 2009 Pontiac G5 Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific G5 model:

Great car
By Shelly

2009 Pontiac G5 GT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I have owned my 2009 G5 for 1 1/2 years. I have had great performance, reliability and performance. The only problem I seem to have is the fob keeps burning out. would like to find ananswer for it. I bought it because I travel on the freeway to work every day. Montana has some harsh winter weather, It has great traction in the snow. What I don't like is driving it in the rain on the highway. It seems to hydroplane easily.

I love this car!
By Sumer R.

2009 Pontiac G5 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

In 2015, I purchased this car used from a reputable dealer in my area. Truth be told, I've always owned a foreign vehicle, but I was working with a limited budget, and understood I couldn't be picky. The dealer showed me this car, and I wasn't totally impressed initially, but after a test drive, I had a change of mind. This car gets it done. I've had it for about 18 months now, and as a commuter, who drives about 30,000 miles a year, my little silver bullet has proven solid through an extreme winter in Ohio, never given me any engine trouble, and is pretty comfy for a base model. I keep the oil changed, and I do regular maintenance as the manufacturer suggests.

The worst care I have EVER owned.
By LadyRae

2009 Pontiac G5 GT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I cannot WAIT to get rid of this car. It is simply the worse car I have ever owned. I've had the ignition replaced on recall TWICE. At less than 78,000, I've had to replace the brakes at 63,000 (I owned 3 Cavaliers and NEVER had to replace the brakes this early). I've replaced one wheel bearing and the other needs replaced (again, never had that issue on any other vehicle I've owned). Basically, the front end is shot. The body is rusting through on the doors, hood, and trunk. It is simply horrible in snow, rain and wind. The front stereo speakers stopped working within 2 years of ownership. The car is noisy, cramped. I will say the engine itself is good. Just everything attached to it is simply horrible.

Dependable Good Gas Mileage
By shark0311

2009 Pontiac G5 GT 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

I bought the bright red Pontiac G5 GT 2 door coupe with automatic transmission new. It came with every available option, (IE: leather, sun roof, Pioneer XM stereo, heated seats, remote start, 17 inch tires). I drive a lot of highway miles to/from work and I wanted a car that got good highway gas mileage and looked sporty. Highway 32 mpg winter, 36 mpg summer. Mileage decreases at speeds over 65 mph. Original tires lasted to 98,000. Replaced rear brakes at 120,000, front brakes at 182,000. Now replacing second set of tires 3/23/16 at 185,500 miles. I change oil every 4,000 to 5,000 miles and have most routine maintenance performed. The front right strut has failed twice (weak design). Car is getting noisier with age (road noise). Handling in snow is not very good for this lightweight car. Comfort is not the best as expected with a smaller lightweight car, but for a go-to-work car, it meets my expectations. Not recommended for adult seating in the back as it is difficult to get in and out and head clearance isn't sufficient for over 6'-0" individuals. Other than this, it has been a relatively low cost maintenance car and very dependable. I intend to drive it another 100,000 miles.

This car is freaking amazing.
By imprettychill1

2009 Pontiac G5 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

Wow, whoever wrote a bad review is totally wrong and has no idea. It made me realize that a lot of people out there will never be pleased no matter what. The Pontiac G5 is the best car I've ever owned, and my previous car was a six cylinder Lexus ES300. The G5 is small for sure, but it packs a serious punch that I never expected out of a car with a 4 cylinder engine. It's faster than my Lexus was and is way more fun to drive. In my opinion it's the best economy car on the market. Seriously, the dudes (or dudettes) who wrote bad reviews need to get their heads checked because the G5 is amazing. Just wish they were still being made. I would get a new one without any type of reservation.

Manual, need I say more? Love having a port for my iPod, too. The dash has everything from tire pressure to current and constant gas mileage, as well as tire pressure.

Nada, but get some all weather tires if you have to deal with snow. That is very necessary, as this car does not handle well in snow without the right tires.