Used 2008 Pontiac G5 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific G5 model:

2008 Pontiac G5
By SUnny2735

2008 Pontiac G5 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is good for someone buying their first new vehicle. Other than that stay away from this car. The inside is plastic, and feels like its going to fall apart. The handling is crappy and that is putting it nicely. It is supposed to have about 148 HP but it feels like 100. The suspension is terrible. The road noise is outrageous and the radio signal is bad. You get static all the time.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

Buy a Japanese or German car. This is rubbish. Good for those starting out. People who need a new car that is under warranty. I cannot imagine this car lasting over 60,000km.

Second Chance
By staple_l

2008 Pontiac G5 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

So I gave Pontiac a second chance. I traded my 2005 Pontiac G6 in for a 2008 Pontaic G5. This car stinks. Been in the shop too many times for a new car. Motors replaced in windows and locks. Seat belts replaced, failed. And now with only 10,000 miles on it replacing brakes. The engine is loud for a 4 cyl. Chrome peeling off the door handles. Pontiac stinks. I gave them a second chance and I no longer will drive one. Gas mileage stinks, I'm lucky to get 24 miles to the gallon, maybe, if I drove 55 on the California freeways, I think not.

Favorite Features

I would have to say the XM radio and ipod connection

Suggested Improvements

No longer put the plastic covers on the car, they rattle so badly. You can hear it over the music when you have the windows down.

Do Not Buy G5 GT!!
By MuscleMike

2008 Pontiac G5 GT 2dr Coupe (2.4L 4cyl 5M)

This car has been a disappointment since the day I bought it. Bought it to save on gas, but I am still kicking myself today for trading in my 2006 GTO for this joke of a vehicle!

Favorite Features

The only good thing worth mentioning is the XM Radio!!!

Suggested Improvements

If you are someone who is bigger than the average bear (I am 6-2 275, pro powerlifter), by all means avoid this vehicle! I loath this vehicle, and I feel like I am trapped in a sardine can everytime I am forced to drive anywhere in this poor excuse for a vehicle!!

Never buy a GM again!
By Disappointed

2008 Pontiac G5 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This car is nothing but problems! I will never buy anything from GM again. It feels like every day something else is wrong with this car and then when I bring it to the dealer for service, they tell me they have it fixed yet the problem never gets resolved until five trips back to the dealer and after buying parts I didn't even need! I HATE this car! Take my advise and save your money and time, I wish I did. NEVER AGAIN!

Favorite Features

All I can say is the look/style and mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Better quality built cars, more reliable and better customer service from both the dealership and the GM office itself. Service needs BIG improvements!

Bad car for petite/short people
By Rachel

2008 Pontiac G5 2dr Coupe (2.2L 4cyl 5M)

This is the car from hell if you're really short. Doors are tall & long & easily bang other doors when opened. Outside rear end/trunk of car sits up high and view is also hindered by rear seat head rests and spoiler. Interior: Poor storage - has 1 shallow console "bin" and no center cup holders. Steering wheel tilts up & to ctr. level but not down. Seats are rock hard & have no cushion or give to them. Speedometer has this silly high arch in dashboard above it that makes it hard to see if you're short. If you raise seat up high to better reach steering wheel, legs are then jacked up at ackward numbing angle making it hard to reach down to pedals.

Favorite Features

Not much to brag about. Only thing I liked was auto lights and digital info. features that displays outside temp, mpg, tire pressure, etc. And engine is quiet, that's about it.

Suggested Improvements

Add center cup holders; make deeper console bin, taller gear shift, get rid of arch above speedometer. Lower rear/trunk area. Get rid of silly red dash lights & make normal blue or white. Show speedometer in 10 mile segments not 20. Make door smaller.