Used 2009 Pontiac G3 Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Pontiac G3 - Consumer Reviews

2009 Pontiac G3 Hatchback

Base 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (25 reviews )

Cheap unreliable car
By chente1

2009 Pontiac G3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My wife got this car new on a emergency.( Cheap and need it a car right away). Since she got it, it had problems with the electrical system. She took it to the dealer several times but they always give her excuses not to fix it, even thoug it was under guarranty. Car have 80000 miles and already need it a new tranny and radiator, which GM didn't want it to fix, even thoug it was under warranty, 100,000 miles power train.($5500.00 repair) at this point, the A/C is acting up, even thoug we took it to the dealer before the end of warranty, but they didn't want to fix it. So now we have a car with bad sensors ( four total at $150.00 a piece) plus airbag and tire sensors all acting up. Thanks GM!

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

There is not place for improvement since GM stop making Pontiac, and even thoug they told my wife she could have the asurence that they would deal with any issues, this is not been the case. At least the transmission job was cover by GM, but only after the dealer that we took the car covince theme to do so.( Not the ORIGINAL dealer that we took it). My suggestion if you have the same car, connect the transmission lines to a separate cooling system or it will be a spensive repair.

Well...it's a cheap car
By axle2152

2009 Pontiac G3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my G3 in August of 2009. I currently have 71,100 miles. I have not had any mechanical problems, however I have 2 camshaft position sensors go bad. This causes the car to sputter and lose power and causes a lot of jerking which is bad for the transmission. The ride is a little rough, about what you would expect in a sub-compact. Power is a joke, 12 seconds to 60 MPH, and fuel economy could be better, and other cars in it's class (from the same year model) get better gas mileage and still have better performance. On-Star never worked from the start and the dealership gave me the run around about fixing it, so it never was, not that I would subscribe to a nonsense service anyway.

Favorite Features

Power Windows pretty handy in a cheap car, CD/MP3 player and exception FM reception with static reduction. Can easily tune in FM stations 80+ miles away in clear stereo. Very good head lights, decent Air Conditioning, surprisingly good heater for a small engine. Seats are reasonably comfortable, even on longer drives, however we'll discuss comfort shortly. One of the few cars today that still have an ashtray and cigarette lighter, also has an extra 12V outlet between driver and passenger.

Suggested Improvements

Better electronics. While the car is mechanically sound and proven reliable, some electronic/computer related issues have arisen (thankfully) during the warranty period. The factory stereo has 180 watts of power, however the 6 1/2" speakers cannot handle bass due to lack of cabinet volume which results in distortion, even at low volumes, I would recommend a small sub-woofer to improve sound quality, and it won't take much to do the trick. I'm 5'9" and my knee is right against the center console and becomes notably uncomfortable on long trips. I would suggest a engine that can deliver more torque at lower rpm's to give better performance at highway speeds.

Serios coil, plug and onbard computer problems
By g3_neveragain

2009 Pontiac G3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

DON"T BUY THESE CARS!!!! Yes, they look nicer than the Honda Fit and Yaris, and mine even came with power windows, moon roof, on-Star, sports interior and stylish wheels, BUT it is all show and no substance. The car is not even 3 years old and has had the PCM computer changed (the computer that controls EVERYTHING on the car - and would cost around $1000 if not covered by warranty, the ignition coil changed twice (each costing around $300 if not covered by warranty), and the oxygen sensors changed (each costing around $300 if not covered by warranty). Look online and the problems with the ignition coil, spark plugs and oxygen sensors are commonplace. I WILL NEVER BUY A GM AGAIN. Wake up GM!!

Suggested Improvements

Do some serious testing of your cars before selling them with problems that are widespread and then deny that the problem exists. Cheap and unreliable parts with fancy looks means nothing. I am going to Japanese cars now - they might not look at flash but at least they will last.

LOVE MY G3
By tonidale

2009 Pontiac G3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my g3 new july of 09, and love it, i have over 20,000 already have to have new tires :(. other than that i love it, i am a large size woman and when dealer showed me that car i laughed at him and said no way i can be comfy in that car, he proved me wrong. i only had i small thing wrong with it when i fisrt bought it. and since then it has been fine. i don't think i get that great of gas milage. but love the car.

Suggested Improvements

better tires

Great car for the money.
By bigwillyz

2009 Pontiac G3 Hatchback 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since Sept 2009 and aside from a transmission cooler line not tightend enough at the factory (noticed the first couple of days I had it) I have had no problems. I have over 20,000 miles on it and it runs like a clock. I have not noticed any of the issues noted in other posts but I was dissappointed in the mileage I got out of the OE tires. I have already replaced them and the alignment showed everything was within spec. It's a bit of a rough ride but to be expected in this small of a car. Based on what I paid for this car brand new with full warranty I'm thrilled with it.

Favorite Features

Seat adjustments, mp3 player, ASHTRAY! (I haven't seen an ashtray in cars for years) Lot of room in engine compartment so in a few more years when I have to start working on it I'll have room to do it.

Suggested Improvements

Better OE tires, the visors could be a little more adjustable, folding the rear seats could be a little easier.