2009 Pontiac G3 - Consumer Reviews

Base 1.6L 4-cyl. 5-speed Manual - (25 reviews )
Cheap unreliable car
By chente1 on 04/21/13 12:46 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

My wife got this car new on a emergency.( Cheap and need it a car right away). Since she got it, it had problems with the electrical system. She took it to the dealer several times but they always give her excuses not to fix it, even thoug it was under guarranty. Car have 80000 miles and already need it a new tranny and radiator, which GM didn't want it to fix, even thoug it was under warranty, 100,000 miles power train.($5500.00 repair) at this point, the A/C is acting up, even thoug we took it to the dealer before the end of warranty, but they didn't want to fix it. So now we have a car with bad sensors ( four total at $150.00 a piece) plus airbag and tire sensors all acting up. Thanks GM!

Well...it's a cheap car
By axle2152 on 04/11/12 17:02 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my G3 in August of 2009. I currently have 71,100 miles. I have not had any mechanical problems, however I have 2 camshaft position sensors go bad. This causes the car to sputter and lose power and causes a lot of jerking which is bad for the transmission. The ride is a little rough, about what you would expect in a sub-compact. Power is a joke, 12 seconds to 60 MPH, and fuel economy could be better, and other cars in it's class (from the same year model) get better gas mileage and still have better performance. On-Star never worked from the start and the dealership gave me the run around about fixing it, so it never was, not that I would subscribe to a nonsense service anyway.

Serios coil, plug and onbard computer problems
By g3_neveragain on 12/30/11 19:19 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

DON"T BUY THESE CARS!!!! Yes, they look nicer than the Honda Fit and Yaris, and mine even came with power windows, moon roof, on-Star, sports interior and stylish wheels, BUT it is all show and no substance. The car is not even 3 years old and has had the PCM computer changed (the computer that controls EVERYTHING on the car - and would cost around $1000 if not covered by warranty, the ignition coil changed twice (each costing around $300 if not covered by warranty), and the oxygen sensors changed (each costing around $300 if not covered by warranty). Look online and the problems with the ignition coil, spark plugs and oxygen sensors are commonplace. I WILL NEVER BUY A GM AGAIN. Wake up GM!!

LOVE MY G3
By tonidale on 08/29/11 19:38 PM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought my g3 new july of 09, and love it, i have over 20,000 already have to have new tires :(. other than that i love it, i am a large size woman and when dealer showed me that car i laughed at him and said no way i can be comfy in that car, he proved me wrong. i only had i small thing wrong with it when i fisrt bought it. and since then it has been fine. i don't think i get that great of gas milage. but love the car.

Great car for the money.
By bigwillyz on 03/26/11 06:45 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I've had this car since Sept 2009 and aside from a transmission cooler line not tightend enough at the factory (noticed the first couple of days I had it) I have had no problems. I have over 20,000 miles on it and it runs like a clock. I have not noticed any of the issues noted in other posts but I was dissappointed in the mileage I got out of the OE tires. I have already replaced them and the alignment showed everything was within spec. It's a bit of a rough ride but to be expected in this small of a car. Based on what I paid for this car brand new with full warranty I'm thrilled with it.

Not a happy camper
By Not a happy camper on 11/06/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I have now had this car about a year in a half! Mind you it's my first brand new car! I thought i picked a great choice for my first new car. Well I was WRONG! My car has been to the shop 8 times! Front end problems pulling me to the left hard, driver side mirror shakes so bad i cant even see out of it when it rains or on im on the high way! Thermostat has gone out. And just yesterday i had to get the heater blower thing fix! I am trading this car in! They will not see me again!nor get my business again! It sucks gas! It doesn't ride smoothly! Worst choice i could have ever made buying that car!! I regret every day of it!

1st time buyer
By tcunningham on 02/22/10 09:57 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I brought this car in Aug 09 and in Sept 09 the 1st accelerator chip was replaced and was assured it would not happen again. I have had the accelerator chip replaced two times in this car. Went out on the expressway. This was my first new car and now I'm scared to drive it. The car doesn't save me gas because I drive more and fill up at lease 2 to 3 times a week. The chip will go out without warning while on the highway. This last time I was almost hit by a truck. This is not a reliable car, it is almost like a death trap.

2009 Pontiac G3
By 2009 Pontiac G3 on 01/15/10 11:49 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

I bought this "used" with 1200 miles. I now have 3000 miles on it. Like the car - however, having similar issues with the check engine light keeps coming on. In 2 weeks, I have driven the car for 1.5 days. It is BACK at the dealership and they can't figure out why it keeps coming on. Changed coils and wire and not happy that I am driving a G6. I bought the G3 for better gas - but so far, I am spending more money on the loaner car this year than I would've saved keeping my other car. If they can fix this, I will be happy very happy.

Cheap fun
By djehall on 12/25/09 17:58 PM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Bought this three weeks ago. I traded in a Nissan Frontier I wanted better gas mileage and no longer needed a pickup. My local Pontiac dealer had one left, with every toy I wanted (sunroof, cruise), and toys I didn't know I wanted until I had them (OnStar, XM, lumbar support). I liked the interior, especially the seats. Sad that Pontiac is going the way of the DeSoto, but decided to take up GM's offer on remaining Pontiacs. This is fun to drive, gets good gas mileage, and I'm not worried about finding replacement parts, since it's a rebadged Aveo. Wife likes it as well, and offered to give me her Jeep Patriot for it (I turned her down). All in all, a great and easy choice for me.

Nice for what it is.
By Small town fool on 12/09/09 09:55 AM (PST)

2009 Pontiac G3 4dr Hatchback (1.6L 4cyl 5M)

Tried to get a Vibe but for the price, this was better. Great handling and fuel mileage.

The Edmunds TCO® estimated monthly insurance payment for a 2009 Pontiac G3 in VA is:

$125 per month*