Used 2002 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

2002 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

Good, Cheap, Fun.
By nwittig54

2002 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

This was the second car I ever bought and have owned it for about two years now. I got it with about 73k on it and am now about 83k. It's been a reliable car but the previous owner did not take care of it at all. The build quality of the interior is a little cheap but the seats are super comfortable and the car hugs the road perfectly. The only major issue I've had, like with all GM V6's, was the intake manifold gasket. Upon replacing the car drove like it was brand new. I will never sell this car and it is about to become my weekend car. I get compliments from people all the time. Also, beat some punk in a Supra to give you some perspective... my car is bone stock.

1 word "FANTASTIC"
By natedavis

2002 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this '02 Base model (4spd automatic) Firebird with 87k miles on it and you would have sworn it was new. Even though it's just a V6, this thing still has a lot of power (205HP) stock and handles amazingly on the road at any speed. Hugs the road like no one's business. Sounds great. Super comfortable and very durable interior. Great looking exterior! Only thing I've had to do to it was replace the fuel pump at 92k, other than that it's been great! I paid $4,200 for this car, but after driving it, I would GLADLY pay double that for another one! All I can say is I found the car that no matter what else I own, will always be in my driveway!

Favorite Features

It's so responsive and quick. SO fun to drive. Very comfortable. I love the sound (dumped cat-back).

Suggested Improvements

All the older GM doors' hinges start to sag over time, where you have to pick up on the door to close it. I wouldn't mind a better hinge system, but that's about it out of the whole car.

What A Disappointment
By Caligirl

2002 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car in 2002 straight off the lot. I loved this sport, affordable car. It was fine for the first 6 year with only 60k miles on it. Then, things changed. Both window motors burned-out costing $350 a piece. Then the fuel pump, $1000. Finally, it was the use of mid-level oil filters rather than a AC Delco oil filter, that caused berrings and crank-shift damage. Never again!

2002 Pontiac Firebird Collectors Ed.
By Quentin Thomas

2002 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback 2dr Hatchback (3.8L 6cyl 5M)

The drive of this vehicle was great, but the performance and reliability were not that great at all. It was a automatic and it had transmission trouble, it had brake problems numerous times. The electrical system was messed up. and the t-tops leaked. In the short time that I did own this car, it was in the shop a good fourth of that.

Really Like it so Far
By DWayne

2002 Pontiac Firebird Hatchback Formula 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've had it 3 months....it sat at the dealership for 6 months for some reason. Midlife crisis caused me to by it. It is fast as hell.

Favorite Features

Horsepower, T-Tops, Monsoon Stereo, Looks, Sound

Suggested Improvements

Somehow lower the price of gas (needs 91 octane)