2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:
Best Car Ever
By 01TransAm on 09/21/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

A more beautiful (yet mean looking), fun to drive, and comfortable car has never been made. I have the WS6, automatic, and it is still practically like new. The only thing it really needed that is not stock is subframe connectors to get rid of the body roll. I completely disagree with the Edmunds review about the interior. The interior plastic is not cheap. It it much better looking than any new car interior, plus the lumbar support leather seats are top notch. The proportions are perfect - low profile, long hood, enough of a back seat to put stuff in. Millage is 17 city, over 25 if all highway, which is not bad, but who really cares anyway.

One sick car
By sic2001 on 12/28/08 20:27 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my car for 5 yrs now and it is awesome! I have put all kinds of aftermarket bolt ons on and dyno'd at 379 rwhp. It's fast and has never left me stranded! I've replaced the fuel pump myself within 2 hrs in the driveway and 150 for parts and find most repairs can be done easily and the info is excellent online. Put good shocks/struts on it, lower it, and youll keep up with the current M3 on twisties it handles so well. I have the navy blue metallic w/tan interior and people act like it's a Ferrari no kidding. 7 yrs old and looks like it could have been released this year. Catalytic converters are covered under warranty for 10 yrs or 100,000 miles.

Gas is Holding me Back
By onoshedien01 on 06/23/08 22:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall performance when I first purchased car was excellent. No repairs needed. Maintenance was kept up from previous owner. Great condition inside/out. Bought at 65k. Take curves like a whip. Engine was eager to drive like a bat out of hell. Now at 121k still runs good but maintenance is needed.

Still loving it after 6 years!
By Cindy on 06/28/07 12:00 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

My husband and I drove into the dealership "just to look". An hour later we had a black Trans AM WS6. We had looked at BMW's but like my husband said, I didn't giggle when I drove it. That was in May of 2001. I am still loving every minute I drive it! It still gets looks and comments. The stereo is out of this world. One of best purchases we have ever made in our lives.

2001 TA WS6 Convertible
By Chip on 05/10/06 12:36 PM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this car for a few years now. Great car! Pontiac had to be crazy for stopping production. I have a 74 SD and this 2001. Love them both. Added a flowmaster for more growl and this car has the neighbors kids giving me the thumbs up every time it hits the streets.

Proud American T/A
By Smoky Mountain T/A on 02/25/06 16:38 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I previously owned a 1996 Formula but wanted a convertible. Since I loved the Formula, I bought a Trans Am with only 3500 miles on it from a collector. This T/A is even better than the Formula with incredible acceleration and really too much power. The cloth top is easy to maintain and open/close. The ride is fine although I heard the WS6 handling package makes for a stiffer ride. There really is no need for the WS6 unless you are racing the car. The automatic transmission takes you right to the red line so don't bother with the 6-speed unless that is what you prefer. Why anyone would buy a foreign sports car is beyond me. It is a shame the American mindset has turned to foreign ownership.

Love It
By Vinterskugge on 02/20/06 19:22 PM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This review is of the WS6 Trans Am. This is the most beautiful car ever and is a lot of fun to drive. It's a shame they are not made anymore, although if they were, they would probably be ruined with a hideous new design. This is the shape that cars should be: low, wide, 2-doors, long hood. Only drawback is lack of trunk space, but the backseat is perfect: you cannot ask for a better design as far as being able to reach into the back seat from either the outside or the front seat. No problems in light snow with all season tires. Car is still like new. True muscle car driving excitement, plus unrivaled aesthetic beauty

It doesnt get any more fun
By William on 12/29/05 10:33 AM (PST)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned a V6 camaro, a Z28, and now this Trans Am, and it is by far MUCH faster and has a lot more power than the Z28. It's got plenty of power, yet can be refined enough for city driving. Not to mention this is just a beautiful car. The leather in the car is top notch, my only complaints are with the traction control system. It does work, but it's not very effective performance-wise. It decelerates the engine for too long of a time and does not enhance performance, unlike the 350Z that I sell whose traction control system is beyond par. Otherwise, this car has more power than any other car you can buy for this amount of money. Period. And the great looks, dependability, 4.5 out of 5 star

Reasonable Drive
By 7Jewels on 10/09/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Takes customizing well. Add a flowmaster and a cold air induction package and you're in there. The power's good and it's fun to drive, but it sucks on gas. The handling is really good, but it's better with 17in wheels and 45 series Z-rated tires. Good gripe and side-slipe is controllable. The only thing I hate about this car is the "Skip-shift" feature. I bought a six-speed for controllablity. Skip-shift is a buzz kill.

2001 Trans Am
By pitbullluvr on 05/25/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Trans Am and I also had a 1999 Firebird Convertible. My 2001 TA has T-Tops, wish I went for the convertible, but wouldn't give up the 5.7 LS1 for a rag top V6. Great car with the exception of consistant brake issues. Highly recommend and a real head turner.