2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2001 Pontiac Firebird - Consumer Reviews

2001 Firebird Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Firebird model:

Sort Reviews by

Best Car Ever
By 01TransAm

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

A more beautiful (yet mean looking), fun to drive, and comfortable car has never been made. I have the WS6, automatic, and it is still practically like new. The only thing it really needed that is not stock is subframe connectors to get rid of the body roll. I completely disagree with the Edmunds review about the interior. The interior plastic is not cheap. It it much better looking than any new car interior, plus the lumbar support leather seats are top notch. The proportions are perfect - low profile, long hood, enough of a back seat to put stuff in. Millage is 17 city, over 25 if all highway, which is not bad, but who really cares anyway.

Favorite Features

LS1, ram air hood, seats, size/proportions, handling.

Suggested Improvements

subframe connectors

One sick car
By sic2001

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had my car for 5 yrs now and it is awesome! I have put all kinds of aftermarket bolt ons on and dyno'd at 379 rwhp. It's fast and has never left me stranded! I've replaced the fuel pump myself within 2 hrs in the driveway and 150 for parts and find most repairs can be done easily and the info is excellent online. Put good shocks/struts on it, lower it, and youll keep up with the current M3 on twisties it handles so well. I have the navy blue metallic w/tan interior and people act like it's a Ferrari no kidding. 7 yrs old and looks like it could have been released this year. Catalytic converters are covered under warranty for 10 yrs or 100,000 miles.

Favorite Features

WS6 hood, aggresive styling, amount of after market parts to customize to taste, i.e. leather accent pieces, tuners,suspension. Great following. Not at all redneck.

Suggested Improvements

Trans Am package offered with the new Camaro through dealership

Gas is Holding me Back
By onoshedien01

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Overall performance when I first purchased car was excellent. No repairs needed. Maintenance was kept up from previous owner. Great condition inside/out. Bought at 65k. Take curves like a whip. Engine was eager to drive like a bat out of hell. Now at 121k still runs good but maintenance is needed.

Favorite Features

T-tops are great feature for joyriding and safer then ragtop. Hood scoops, flip up lights, T/A and Ram Air emblems, spoiler w/brakelight, OE WS6 rims. Awesome looking car.

Suggested Improvements

Gas guzzler big time. Considering trading in:( It would kill me to do this but gas prices are outrageous. Car takes premium.

Still loving it after 6 years!
By Cindy

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

My husband and I drove into the dealership "just to look". An hour later we had a black Trans AM WS6. We had looked at BMW's but like my husband said, I didn't giggle when I drove it. That was in May of 2001. I am still loving every minute I drive it! It still gets looks and comments. The stereo is out of this world. One of best purchases we have ever made in our lives.

Favorite Features

12 CD changer, stereo, 6 speed transmission.

Suggested Improvements

None!

2001 TA WS6 Convertible
By Chip

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I have had this car for a few years now. Great car! Pontiac had to be crazy for stopping production. I have a 74 SD and this 2001. Love them both. Added a flowmaster for more growl and this car has the neighbors kids giving me the thumbs up every time it hits the streets.

Favorite Features

Ram Air Hood

Suggested Improvements

Hate the skip shift.

Proud American T/A
By Smoky Mountain T/A

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Convertible (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I previously owned a 1996 Formula but wanted a convertible. Since I loved the Formula, I bought a Trans Am with only 3500 miles on it from a collector. This T/A is even better than the Formula with incredible acceleration and really too much power. The cloth top is easy to maintain and open/close. The ride is fine although I heard the WS6 handling package makes for a stiffer ride. There really is no need for the WS6 unless you are racing the car. The automatic transmission takes you right to the red line so don't bother with the 6-speed unless that is what you prefer. Why anyone would buy a foreign sports car is beyond me. It is a shame the American mindset has turned to foreign ownership.

Favorite Features

Performance is the ultimate at a conservative 310 HP. Superb handling, braking. The style is priceless! The 'top down' driving is very comfortable even in cooler weather when you can put the heat on. Excellent Monsoon radio/CD. Decent ride for a performance car. Gas mileage is fine around 20 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

Unfortunately the American buyers told GM they didn't want this car anymore so GM stopped production in '02. Collectors put these cars away and you can still get one with very low miles. Just look hard & be patient. Many are raced by kids so beware of prior ownership. Even these cars can be abused.

Love It
By Vinterskugge

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This review is of the WS6 Trans Am. This is the most beautiful car ever and is a lot of fun to drive. It's a shame they are not made anymore, although if they were, they would probably be ruined with a hideous new design. This is the shape that cars should be: low, wide, 2-doors, long hood. Only drawback is lack of trunk space, but the backseat is perfect: you cannot ask for a better design as far as being able to reach into the back seat from either the outside or the front seat. No problems in light snow with all season tires. Car is still like new. True muscle car driving excitement, plus unrivaled aesthetic beauty

Favorite Features

Ram Air hood, overall style

Suggested Improvements

It's perfect!

It doesnt get any more fun
By William

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

I've owned a V6 camaro, a Z28, and now this Trans Am, and it is by far MUCH faster and has a lot more power than the Z28. It's got plenty of power, yet can be refined enough for city driving. Not to mention this is just a beautiful car. The leather in the car is top notch, my only complaints are with the traction control system. It does work, but it's not very effective performance-wise. It decelerates the engine for too long of a time and does not enhance performance, unlike the 350Z that I sell whose traction control system is beyond par. Otherwise, this car has more power than any other car you can buy for this amount of money. Period. And the great looks, dependability, 4.5 out of 5 star

Favorite Features

The 330hp/350ft lb torque engine Steering wheel audio controls WS6 handling package

Suggested Improvements

The traction control system!

Reasonable Drive
By 7Jewels

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

Fun to drive. Takes customizing well. Add a flowmaster and a cold air induction package and you're in there. The power's good and it's fun to drive, but it sucks on gas. The handling is really good, but it's better with 17in wheels and 45 series Z-rated tires. Good gripe and side-slipe is controllable. The only thing I hate about this car is the "Skip-shift" feature. I bought a six-speed for controllablity. Skip-shift is a buzz kill.

Suggested Improvements

No suggested improvements/ they don't make it anymore.

2001 Trans Am
By pitbullluvr

2001 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am Trans Am 2dr Hatchback (5.7L 8cyl 4A)

This is my second Trans Am and I also had a 1999 Firebird Convertible. My 2001 TA has T-Tops, wish I went for the convertible, but wouldn't give up the 5.7 LS1 for a rag top V6. Great car with the exception of consistant brake issues. Highly recommend and a real head turner.

Favorite Features

Looks, love the large spoiler and the vrrrm of the LS1

Suggested Improvements

Make them again GM.... big mistake..